I want to quit my job and travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else feel like this? What a question, I'm sure many would like to do this but can we. I am putting my house up for sale, paying off some debt, saving and heading off for at least 6 weeks to Europe. I don't want to be held down in a job I loathe anymore. It pays well but I pay because I'm stressed out all the time, can't sleep, literally fight to get out of bed etc.

If you could quit your job right now and had 6 weeks to travel, where would you go?
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Already did this with my DH two years ago. We didnt sell our house though but are considering this now.
How old are you?
So far we have gone to the Greek Islands, Australia, New Zealand, England, Kenya, Tanzania and Argentina. I think the most life changing was the safari's in Africa so I would have to recommend that.
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took early retirement and started traveling a few years back. My first trip was four and a half months to China, Pakistan, Bhutan and India. My longest trip so far is ten months. (TRs for my longer trips at www.wilhelmswords.com.)
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Couple more points:

- Unless you're planning to move anyway, why sell your house just for a six weeks trip? I have a friend keep an eye on mine when I travel.

- This is a wonderful opportunity! It may be a while before you have another. Do try to go for more than six weeks, which is hardly enough time to get into the rhythm of long term travel. I'd recommend reading Ed Hasbrouck's "Practical Nomad" - and maybe checking out Lonely Planet's thorntree or bootsnall.com for reports from people making longer trips.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

I am 37 years old and will move in with my parents for a little while. They are about 10 minutes away. I moved here to Florida to be near them and they have a big house that will eventually be mine anyway. I beleive this transition will be beneficial to both them and I.

thusdaysd, I have been all over your site - love it! I wish I could do that but I know I won't have the money for an extended trip like that.

I'd like to hit New Zealand, Paris, Austria and maybe Africa.

Right now I know it's more of a dream but I am a smart and able so I know with the right plan, I can make this happen.

Keep the recommendations coming or if you have done this, are you glad you did it? Regrets?

Thanks,
Linda
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Linda - thanks - glad you like the site!

Travel can be done on the cheap (think about the gap-year kids on the LP site) - it just means fewer comforts, and picking your countries carefully. Asia is cheaper than Europe, much cheaper in fact. Public transport is generally cheap (trains in Europe are getting a bit pricey unless you're lucky with discounts). Eating picnics or self-catering saves money. The Hasbrouck book has good tips, as does Rick Steves' "Europe Through the Back Door" - although his other guidebooks have gone upmarket. NZ is a bit far for the trip you're thinking of.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

I'm gonna read those books you recommended. I say NZ because a few years back on a Tuscany tour in Italy I met the neatest lady from Auckland, NZ and we've been writing to each other since so I'd love to see her.

Thanks for the tips
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:08 AM

If you have someone to stay with in NZ that would help. I thought NZ was a bit pricey, but I'd just done several months in Asia, so my standard was lower than if I'd flown in from the US. The big problem is air fare to get there. You could look to see if Qantas has any deals for flight to OZ, and then add on the flight to NZ.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nope, I would never quit my job for that. First off I love it, and second off... how could I afford to travel? What would I do when I got home? 6 weeks is a VERY SHORT trip to be completely changing you life, selling your home, moving in with your parents, etc. imho.

<<New Zealand, Paris, Austria and maybe Africa>> is much more than a 6 week trip, also just my opinion. But those places are very spread out so will be quite expensive because of the airfare, and will spend more time than I would like moving place to place. I think 6 weeks in (1) New Zealand, OR (2) Paris/Austria, OR (3) Africa makes sense.

I am a practical person, so my approach would be different. First off I would find a job I didn't hate (no easy assignment!), I would downsize my house to an affordable condo that could be left empty when traveling, THEN I would start making plans for taking 4-6 weeks off.

But back to your original premise, if tomorrow I found myself without a job and with plenty of money to support myself for the next couple years, I'd head to Mexico for 6 weeks because I know it and love it there. Hawaii is another place I adore and could live for awhile.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

I could not take 6 weeks off from work and expect to have a job when I get back. In addition I am losing my sanity with this job. Therefore, to leave it, I have to sacrifice the house but that's worth it to me so I don't lose myself. This is a plan in progress and I know it will take some time. I'm saying 6 weeks but I hope to take at least 2 months to travel. We'll see.

Thanks for the replies.
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:24 AM

Well if you want to quit your job & sell your house anyways, I have no problem with that.

It just seemed extreme (without knowing all your details) for only a two month trip. Two months might seem long to you now, but really in terms of people who do "long term travel" it's pretty short.

Good luck to you for this adventure. For myself, I'd want to have some kind of plan in place for employment when I got back. If I didn't, I would have a difficult time enjoying myself during my travels, not knowing how I was going to support myself when I got home.
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Suze, I know it's a big change and believe me I'm scared but excited at the same time.

I appreciate your input .

Have a great day all. I think it may be a dry day here today finally.
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:35 AM

LindainFL~ Please don't hear me wrong... I think the "traveling for 2 months part" is a *FABULOUS* idea!! I'd just handle things a bit differently on the home front myself. But I do wish you ALL the best. And these forums (Europe, Africa, etc.) will be a great resource once you figure out the places you want to include.
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Not at all Suze. Thank you for your candor - it's the only way to communicate .

Have a great day.

I know these boards are fantastic and I've been on wonderful trips as a result. My next big adventure is Spain 4/10.
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:39 PM

If you're going to quit your job anyway, may as well take time to travel. If you're planning on selling your house and moving in with your parents anyway, may as well take time to travel.

How do your parents feel about this plan? If you're only 36 you're parents must be relatively young. Are they welcoming you back with open arms? Will that cramp your style?
You said, their house is "going to be mine someday anyway", but maybe not for 20 or 30 years. How's that going to work?
This is none of my business, but if you were my good friend these are the questions I'd be asking you.

To answer your OQ, yes, I often feel like quitting my job and traveling. But I like my job and when it becomes stressful I remind myself that in just a couple of months I'll be in ____ .

Plus, as much as I love to think about traveling for 2 months, I have a dog and 2 cats so I love coming home. If I had to live with my parent (only one left) I'd only be home once a year for a week.
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:50 PM

With the economy in the state it is, I would make sure that I have enough in savings AFTER the trip to cover 6-9 months of expenses.

I love the idea of quitting my job and taking off on an extended trip, but in this economy, I would be afraid that I will find myself in a worse situation than I left.

I also would ask the same questions as LSky. You say "I beleive this transition will be beneficial to both them and I.", but what do they think?

While you might think that living in the same house as them is going to allow you to help them out more, etc., they may think that your going on trips for 6-weeks at a time cancels out the convenience of your living there.

Before I made any move towards this, I'd sit down with my parents and really hash it all out.

At thirty-seven and single (I'm assuming since you haven't mentioned a significant other), you can't depend on others to get you through your senior years. Even the house that you expect to be yours someday could fall through. Medical bills for your parents, etc. can go through any "inheritance" you might be depending on getting.

I'm not saying any of this to poo-poo your idea, just to give you some things to think about if you haven't already.
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Go for it! I think that even with the economy, you are only 37 and you have to take the chances given to you..life is too short. Think about what you're ultimate desire for a destination is and go there. Don't worry too much, our life paths are always there and you never know what opportunities will present themselves. Have a great time and don't forget to write a travel report so all of us can see what you decided to do.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thank you for all the replies. To answer some more questions, my parents are in their 70's (I was an accident child)and I have spoken with them of my plans. They want me to come home and mom even wants to do some more overseas traveling with me. I have always been very close to them and they are very happy to have me move back home.

I religiously watch Suze Orman and before I quit my job, I aim to have an 8 month emergency fund to fall back on when I get back from the extended trip.

The realtor came today to look at the house and we should have a price set within a week. I'm sure it'll take a while to sell but I'm not in a hurry - again this is a plan in progress.

gregeva1, I like your thinking...I've always been extremely practical and fearful of taking risks. Well, I think I'm ready to take a chance and live out my travel dreams not just read about someone elses.

Take care all
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM

LindainFL - it sounds like you have thought this out well.

I think there's a difference between taking a risk that you recognize and do as much as you can to eliminate or reduce beforehand and simply doing something without any forethought whatsoever. I think you'll find this is a wonderful experience.

With your current itinerary being pretty widespread and that your Mom would like to do some traveling with you, perhaps you could do Africa and New Zealand this time and save Paris and Austria for a second trip with your Mom. You could add a destination or two that she'd like to see in Europe for that second trip. Since you are planning on doing more than one trip, why try shoving it all in one trip.
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Please accept my apology, now that I look back over the original post I see you never asked for my list of questions. You're an extremely gracious person for not pointing out that we didn’t answer your original question.

I don't know that I would want to travel for 6 weeks straight, the truth is, I'm a bit of a workaholic. I wouldn't mind having a job that took me to Germany, wound it's way through Eastern Europe and ended in St. Petersburg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -