Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page > I have a free airline ticket - where would you go?
Notices

I have a free airline ticket - where would you go?

Oct 21st, 2009, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

I have a free airline ticket - where would you go?

I have a free ticket to use on American Airlines before the end of 2010. It can only be used on American - no FF partners, but I can go anywhere they fly. Where would you go and why? I can't go between Memorial Day and Labor Day or over Christmas. I'm a big fan of wildlife, but I don't camp or do strenuous hiking. Also a fan of big cities. Let your imaginations run wild (I am)!!!
Oct 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
yk

How much time do you have for this trip? Are you thinking of going to a foreign country or within the US? Will you be going alone?
Oct 21st, 2009, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

It can be anywhere for up to two weeks, going with DH. And it can be open jaw, too.
Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:12 AM

I would go someplace far and expensive that I wouldn't ordinarily be able to go. Australia, south pacific, Thailand.
Oct 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM

I would use it to go to Bora Bora or Tahiti to go to one of those hotels that are right over the water. The airfare prices it out of our reach.
Oct 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
yk

Is the free ticket for both of you, or just you alone? If it's only for you, do you have a limit as to how much you want to spend on the other airfare?

Also, far-away places sound good, though the farther you go, the longer you spend sitting in a coach seat.

The way you phrased it, I take that it means it has to be a destination served by AA metal, no codeshares. If that's the case, you can cross off Australia, Africa, and most of Asia (except Tokyo and Delhi). You would want to study this: http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/where...maps/world.jsp

My suggestion would be S America: Brazil or Argentina.
Oct 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM

Buenos Aires, Argentina, great city and not very far from some great wine regions, although that part you would need to arrange on your own. Santiago and Del Mar, Chile (Del Mar is a short bus ride from Santiago), a beautiful oceanside resort town with beautiful beaches, and don't forget, our winters are their summers, Rio, lots of fun, Tokyo, a great city but can get expansive, many places in Europe. Not crazy about Delhi.

Closer to home you got Hawaii, many Caribbean islands, Central America. Costa Rica is a beautiful country with friendly people but not much of an sophisticated urban experience. It's mostly ecological, wildlife and beautiful beaches on either side of the country, but we did prefer the Pacific side.

Alaska? if done at the right time, Canada, pick any city, they are all great, and within striking distance to beautiful natural sceneries.

So you see you have many choices. Have fun picking one and enjoy your trip!
Oct 26th, 2009, 10:31 AM

For Europe-I would chose Rome,Paris or Barcelona. Buenos Aires for South America.Hawaii and Alaska would be great but you said you cannot go during the summer.
Since you cannot use partners, it is somewhat limiting but hey,its free! Have fun!
Give us some info as to where you live,ages and where you have been and everyone will be happy to help you.
Oct 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I keep changing my mind, but I think it will probably be S America - Brazil and/or Argentina. I hate coach and my husband is 6'4", so we try not to go coach, but can't pass it up for free (OK, half free).
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM

We just flew in Coach on American to Frankfurt from Chicago -- a 10 hour flight. It was miserable. And my husband and I are not anywhere near 6'4".

Have pity on your poor husband and make it a short flight.
Oct 31st, 2009, 07:54 PM

I agree with BettyK. There are free tickets and then there are free tickets. Having a son and husband who are both 6'3,I probably wouldn't chose a REALLY long flight as DH will be miserable.

Search this Thread