Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

August honeymoon advice: Hawaii or Azores?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My fiance and I are trying to decide on a honeymoon destination for the last two weeks of August (2013). Currently we are considering two options: Hawaii or Azores. Certainly each place has its pros and cons, but I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone with experience in either or both places has an opinion. Concerns regarding Hawaii include: crowds in August, feeling too mega-resorty, higher expense, and further distance (we're coming from NYC). Concerns regarding Azores include: accommodations being more "rustic" and less comfortable, difficulty navigating within and between islands, and less beach. In general, I think we prefer to "go off the beaten track" but we still want our honeymoon to romantic and quasi-luxurious, rather than feeling like we're in more rustic accommodations (though we'd be down for that on a different type of vacation). Can the Azores provide comforts/romance or is Hawaii the way to go despite the cons mentioned (and I realize neither place would be a "bad" trip)? Thanks for any guidance!
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggest you re-post on the US and Europe boards.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
All of Hawaii does NOT feel "too mega-resorty", it just depends which island(s) you go to and what kind of a place you choose to stay. also I do not find Hawaii necessarily a higher expense than other vacations, again it just depends where you stay, and what you plan to see and do. Further distance, well that part is true. Hawaii could be a very romantic honeymoon imo. Look at Kauai for starters. Or less populated area on Maui or Oahu.

Sorry don't know a thing about the Azores to be able to compare.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 06:55 PM

I prefer Hawaii, because it is very romantic and best place for honeymoon.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 07:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There is nothing like this between the islands of the Azores:
http://www.montrosetravel.com/cruise...hawaii-cruises
I did go to the island of Terciera in September 2004. I had to fly from Newark to Lisbon and then take Air Portugal 900 miles back to Lajes.
If you want to go to Portugal, go to the Algarve which has much better beaches compared to the volcanic beaches of Terciera.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Hawaii! My favorite place to visit! I agree with "suze" - Hawaii does not have to feel "too mega-resorty." Each island has a different feel to it and within each island there are busier and quieter areas. I prefer Maui myself. You may want to look at the Big Island or Kauai. I'd be happy to go more in-depth if you decide to go in that direction.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 03:15 AM

Well, you can be in the Azores in 4 hours from Boston. Book soon, as August is very busy for flights - but no crowds. Then try the Caloura Resort Hotel on Sao Miguel, has a nice little beach, hiking - romantic and stylish. Also - Hotel do Colegio is right in the heart of Ponta Delgada and well appointed. I would then fly to Faial and spend a few days at the Hotel do Canal on Horta - waterfront, very very nice. Try the Cantinho da Doca next door for a dinner cooked on red hot volcanic rock. Peter Cafe sprot han let you swim with dolphins and /or mountain bike from the Caldeira. Take the ferry to Pico, and explore the wine region, and if you dare, mike Pico. Small fishing towns are sweet and romantic. Back on Faial go for a whale watch, and check out the beach a few miles from the city, with a super seafood eatery right off the sand. Have extra time, take the fast ferry to Sao Jorge, hike, have clams, and visit a cheese factory - and the sweet bread is so much better than on Hawaii... Call airline SATA for help, 800/762-9995, or try America Travel 401) 434-4700. You will love it
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies--very helpful!
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 06:04 AM

I have been to Maui, Kauii and I went to four of the Azores islands -- Faial, Pico, Sao Miguel, and Terceida last year.

My impression of The Azores was that it was a cross of Ireland and Hawaii in terms of natural beauty. A tour that we had Of the Sao Miguel isalnd was particulary beautiful.

In terms of adventure, Do you want to feel like you are in Europe or America on your honeymoon? I don't think that I would call the azores particularly luxurious -- but there are certainly options that are not rustic-- but go through the trip advisor hotels and see if anything appeals to you.

In Faial, I stayed at the Pousada, the former fort,, it was not rustic right at the waterfront, take the ferry to Pico.

If you also want quasi-luxurious dining options, I don't think that the Azores would particularly rank.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 07:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The flight time might decide it for me in this situation. 4 hrs vs 12-14 hrs.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 11:56 AM

I think there are great dining options in the Azores- the Art Deco dining room at the 1930's Terra Nostra Hotel, is white glove in Furnas. I love the great srivce adn classy meals at O Roberto in Ponta Delgada. A Colmeia in Ponta Delgada is top notch, and very stylish.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 10:20 PM

The place was not luxurious, but one of the best meals I've ever had anywhere was in the Azores - really fantastic fish. Either choice will be wonderful.