Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   How to save $$$ when traveling alone? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/how-to-save-when-traveling-alone-558705/)

islandgirltime Sep 15th, 2005 11:25 AM

How to save $$$ when traveling alone?

Don't want to wait for a friend and want to book some trips for 2006, need advice. Thanks!

suze Sep 15th, 2005 01:53 PM

Any idea where you want to go?

As long as you book independently (not join as a single on a package deal tour) it doesn't cost any more to go alone.

Obviously one expense that you have to pay is for the hotel room yourself, rather than split it with a friend or parnter. So I book local 3-star hotels which are reasonably priced to begin with.

Keith Sep 20th, 2005 09:02 AM

What destinations are traveling too?

In Europe many of the hotels have smaller rooms for one person at a lower price. And the public transportation is often adequate enough that you don't need the expense of renting a car by yourself.

Keith

suze Sep 22nd, 2005 10:54 AM

Traveling solo I rarely eat in expensive restaurants like I probably would with a friend or companion. Also I don't mind picnicing in my hotel room or a park for some meals.

dperry Sep 23rd, 2005 05:32 PM

When I travel alone I like to visit a fancy restaurant for lunch, rather than dinner. I feel more comfortable dining alone at lunchtime, and often dinner is a small bite somewhere or in my hotel. Also, it's a great way to try nice places while spending less, since lunches are usually cheaper than dinners in fine restaurants

JBHapgood Sep 24th, 2005 06:56 PM

I also follow and recommend dperry's approach of eating lunch at a nice restaurant rather than dinner. Not only does it save money, but for some inexplicable reason I'm more comfortable eating lunch alone in a restaurant than dinner.

What I also like to do is find a hotel/motel room with a kitchenette, or at least a fridge and microwave. I stock up on provisions at a supermarket and have a choice of things to eat for breakfast and dinner. That's both more convenient and cheaper than going to the nearest mini-mart, especially when you're tired from a day's exploring. Eating three restaurant meals a day is an unnecessary expense in both dollars and calories.

kfusto Sep 26th, 2005 11:15 AM

I use Priceline quite a bit for solo travel. I get more for my money.

I enjoy a nice dinner out and will choose a light breakfast and lunch and then enjoy a nicer restaurant for dinner. I can't imagine staying in my room for dinner but then I am very comfortable as a solo traveller.

I use public transport rather than taxis to cut cost.

suze Sep 26th, 2005 04:31 PM

kfusto, An occasional dinner in the hotel room is not because I am uncomfortable as a solo traveler! Sometimes I'm just dead tired after touring about all day, and having a hot bath, a delicious "room picnic" with a bottle of wine and watching local TV hits the spot.

chinesefan Sep 27th, 2005 08:26 AM

May I know what is Priceline ?

suze Sep 27th, 2005 11:19 AM

Priceline is a website where you can "bid" for hotel rooms in a certain city/area/and number of stars. But you do not know which hotel until after you paid for it.

priceline.com

Maybe others can explain better. I have never used it because I would rather stay at a lesser hotel, of my own choosing.

Carrybean Sep 28th, 2005 12:29 AM

I've been hooked on London for the past 13 years. I agree with the above poster who mentioned the kitchenette. I always rent flats rather than hotel rooms there (don't know your destination, though.) It works out MUCH cheaper than a hotel although I only rent flats because I'm more comfortable that way. Plus I'm a grocery store junkie & love to browse foreign markets.

I, too am usually tired out by dinner time after being out & about all day so it's nice to have a kitchen sticked & be able to relax without having to pay room service prices & tips. Plus you can have your morning coffee or tea without getting dressed. I rent flats with washers/dryers so I can pack a lot less.

That is a nice thing about European or UK hotels that hey have single rooms.