Search

Solo Beach Trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo Beach Trip

Hello. Any advice for a solo beach trip? I'm a middle-aged male looking for a nice beach and a comfortable hotel with restaurant and bar. I live in the northeast. I assume Florida, Mexico, and the Carribean are the most likely destinations. I would like to keep the cost down of course so a luxury resort is not necessary. The trip will be over the summer or fall for a week or slightly less.

These criteria may be too general but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 11:02 AM

Honestly, your question is way too general for anyone to give you meaningful recommendations because anywhere that has a beach will have comfortable hotels with restaurants and bars. There are literally 10’s of thousands of places you can visit.

First, You need to narrow down your time frame since tou’ll Have more choices in summer than fall.

Second, it would help if you gave us some idea of what type of destination appeals to you - a beach in a more cosmopolitan area, one that is more remote or perhaps one in a tropical environment.

Third, what type of activities interest you? Please don’t say “relaxing on a beach” as you can do that anywhere. What do you like to see and do while on vacation?

Fourth, where in the northeast are you traveling from (northeast where)? How long are you willing to travel to reach your destination?

Fifth, what type of budget in terms of actual dollars do you have for accommodations and airfare? Terms like “don’t need luxury”, “not too expensive”, “affordable”, etc. are meaningless without a dollar point of reference.

Help is help you, the more info you can give us the easier it will be to steer you in the right direction.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Let me narrow this down.

Time frame: really open, but let's say June through September

Type of Destination: again, open, but a quiet beach in a remote area is nice. But I'd be willing to go to an urban area especially to control costs.

Activities: reading on the beach, swimming in the ocean, swimming in the pool. I am not interested in volleyball, sailing, scuba diving, or anything like that.

Departure: I'm traveling from the New York City area. Since this is a brief trip I'd say travel no more than four hours flying.

Budget: Tricky. Around $3,000 for 3-4 nights. I could do more and less would be great.

Is this even doable? It's been many years since I traveled.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 03:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My suggestion would be one of the 3 "Beaches" (Atlantic, Neptune and Jacksonville) in Jacksonville Florida. The flight to Jacksonville should be cheap. Savannah Georgia might even be warm enough for you.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 04:52 PM

In that time frame and with that budget look at the Bahamas ( either Grand Bahama or Nassau) - you’ll find plenty of non-stop flights from NYC area airports and flying time should be around 4 hours.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 03:28 AM

Jetblue fly to Grenada. Since you mentioned remote, you could stay somewhere like La Sagesse. Rates are good during low season. Grenada is a lovely friendly island. You could also fly to Barbados or Antigua, there are modest hotels that could meet your criteria such as Siboney Beach Club in Antigua or the Crane in Barbados (more upscale but as you are going in low season might be ok) I think you have a lot of choice.

There is also Bermuda but you’d be looking at an apartment or B&B as hotels are expensive. On the plus side there are lots of pubs & there are less expensive dining options.
I’d check to see where else you can get direct flights to and see if any of those destinations interest you.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I vacation solo twice a year in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. It has what you request... and more.

Negril Jamaica is another place I like a lot and might be easier for you to get to from NYC.

I pay nowhere near $3000 per trip and stay 1-2 weeks each time.
Old May 5th, 2018, 03:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anna Marie Island Florida or Siesta Key offer all you say you want. Laid back, great beach, relaxing atmosphere.
Old May 6th, 2018, 11:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
The Buccaneer on St Croix is wonderful.