Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   How many bags does a person own? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/how-many-bags-does-a-person-own-1616101/)

j02102 Dec 15th, 2017 04:29 PM

How many bags does a person own?

Suitcases, backpacks, duffle bags, carryons?

thursdaysd Dec 15th, 2017 07:53 PM

Why do you care?

sundowner Dec 16th, 2017 02:10 PM

Several of each but none are just right. :)

Sassafrass Dec 16th, 2017 05:16 PM

Never have a count, always giving some away, but I have many. It is an addiction. All are very light weight.

Carry-ons, small suitcases for weekends, basic medium for a week and longer, large for taking gifts to family, very long and narrow for train travel, wide and thinner for taking art supplies, one with lots of outside pockets for car travel and visiting family, lots of packing cubes, cosmetic bags, canvas pet totes, art supply and painting carriers, totes and portfolios, small cases that attach to larger ones, large totes for the beach, super light weight backpacks, several vintage pieces I do not use for travel, etc. etc.

Like Sundowner says, "none are just right." Some come pretty close though.

There are so many great choices at discount places like Marshals, Tuesday morning, etc. With a trip costing $2,000 or $3,000, if one piece of luggage seems perfect for a particular trip, $50.00 to $80.00 does not add that much to the trip. I have bought some really nice ones at thrift shops too, never paid more than $5.00 to $10.00.

Many friends and family have benefited from my hobby of collecting luggage.

xcountry Dec 16th, 2017 05:36 PM

0 suitcases
1 carryon
2 backpacks (35 litre and 75 litre)
1 canoe pack
1 duffel bag

kja Dec 16th, 2017 11:02 PM

@ xcountry: Would we be safe in assuming that you use the 35 liter backpack for grappa and the 75 liter one for wine? When you carry on that way, it must be nice to have a canoe on hand to float away, perhaps with a duffel filled with snacks and rain gear. ;-)

blaire25 Dec 17th, 2017 08:16 AM

Lots, not going to bother counting!

suze Dec 17th, 2017 08:32 AM

suitcases - 2
backpack - 0
duffle bag - 1

carryons - many because i use various kinds of a large purse or tote bag for on the plane, depending on the type of trip. i check my one suitcase thru.

xcountry Dec 17th, 2017 11:43 AM

Kja it would be fun to gather 75 litres of (very cheap) wine and keep pouring until the backpack cried uncle. Would make a good YouTube video:

“Today we’re verifying that this backpack really can hold 75 litres:”

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5045-3...%2B10-Backpack

toddhicks209 Dec 20th, 2017 11:54 AM

What exactly are you trying to glean from this?

suze Dec 20th, 2017 12:28 PM

Seems like they want to know how many bags a person owns per the title of the thread.

NewbE Dec 21st, 2017 08:39 AM

OK, that made me LOL.

suze Dec 30th, 2017 01:16 PM

Anyone read the last comment before it was removed?

traveler24 Jan 1st, 2018 08:37 PM

I love suitcases...andI always overpack....have one "large" hard sided case..size too big for carryon..2-- 20 inch "soft-sided & Laptop tote.
From back when Samsonite was a great brand to carryon with "spinner" wheels.
We laughed that Samsonite was heavy even when empty.
As I age and my endurance fades, i use a Traveler Spinner and a small tote that I can attach on top of Spinner.
This arrangement spares my back and can manage 7 day trip..(if accommodations have a laundry--all the better)
Now when i take a road trip...
I use mostly tote bags...one for shoes, one with night-time wear, one with jackets/coat-umbrella and small suitcase for actual clothes...Always take I Pad in small laptop case and I Phone in my purse.
Since my closet space is limited...I use several suitcases to store "off season" clothes.

tenthumbs Jan 3rd, 2018 02:58 PM

2 carry-ons
2 standard size suitcases
1 hiking backpack
lots of tote bags

tenthumbs Jan 3rd, 2018 03:01 PM

suze~I didn't get a chance to read it, but it seems I've seen a lot of those lately!