Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   How can I find cheap Airline Tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/how-can-i-find-cheap-airline-tickets-1648137/)

david1107 Feb 6th, 2018 10:39 AM

How can I find cheap Airline Tickets

When it comes to cheap airline tickets, I need to consider the source. i find that there is advertisements on TV, in the newspapers, online and other media advertisement. i want to keep in mind that no one wants to pay the high prices, so finding the cheap airline tickets has become almost like an art. i find that there are many ways that you’ll be able to find the lower prices, but it will take some work.

tenthumbs Feb 8th, 2018 11:24 AM

I use kayak.com. It's a search engine that searches other sites and lists fares. You may not be guaranteed "cheap" airline tickets, but it will list the least expensive options.

Andrew Feb 8th, 2018 11:38 AM

I now use Google Flights to check fares - find it easier than Kayak, which I used for years. Like most other airfare sites, you can set fare alerts for specific city pairs you wish to fly to/from to learn about fare sales.

Some people use Skyscanner. They include links to brokers that sell cheap tickets, but I've never used any of them myself. I prefer to book directly with the airlines, on their websites, instead of going through any middleman unless I'm saving a lot of money. Booking a ticket with someone else may save me some money but also means having to deal with that third party instead of directly with the airline if there's some sort of schedule change or something. I booked a ticket like that once some years ago, and my flight was CANCELED and I wasn't even notified - I was re-booked on a flight at the crack of dawn with a connection (I was already in Europe) and was lucky I checked the reservation a few days prior so I could get it figured out.

Of course, if you want the cheapest ticket prices, consider earning frequent flyer miles and points using credit card promotions. I've been flying to Europe using Alaska Airlines award (on Alaska partners to Europe like AA) for the last several years, and I've earned almost all my miles with credit card promos. Alaska and Bank of America allow you to get a new credit card at least once a year - perhaps even more often - and get the 30,000 mile sign-up bonus each time. 45,000 miles is enough for a round-trip ticket from the US to Europe off-season, so two credit card awards is enough for a round trip ticket to Europe.

For domestic flights, though, nothing beats Southwest's frequent flyer program and their amazing credit card bonuses. I fly several times a year and haven't bought an airline ticket (except for flights within Europe) for a long time - always use award points and miles.

prayfortheloved Feb 8th, 2018 11:38 AM

I just type my trip to google. It advises me the cheapest prices usually.

david1107 Feb 23rd, 2018 06:31 AM

Thank you so so so so so much ;)
​​​​​​​,you give me so important advise

theprocamera Feb 24th, 2018 01:07 PM

I use Scott's cheap flights. They have a free subscription and a paid. I have the paid, as they offer more deals that way and it's not too expensive.
I would only recommend them if you are either in a large metro area or if you are flexible in getting to a departure airport and flexible in destinations. They have some great deals on mis-priced fares and low fares in general.
Kevin