COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

How are you holding up during the quarantine?

Old Mar 19th, 2020, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Original Poster

How are you holding up during the quarantine?

How has your life changed? What’s been the most difficult for you? The easiest?

We will incorporate your unique insights in our upcoming newsletters, social media, and articles!
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 09:48 PM
kja

I'm not under quarantine, and so can't answer, except to wish those who are quarantined well -- as I wish well to those who are hospitalized, isolated, under a curfew, asked to shelter in place, or other. And I hope that people don't contribute to further misinformation, in an already complicated situation, by confusing these different situations. If anyone wants a brief recap of the differences between a quarantine, isolation, and shelter in place:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/healt...ion/index.html

Last edited by kja; Mar 19th, 2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Administrator

We are all quarantined in Los Angeles now, as of last night. Holding up fine. Still sitting in the front yard, walking the dog, cooking watching movies (Last night, the comically bad "Outbreak").
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 03:19 PM
kja

I sincerely hope that ibobi is not quarantined! Under must current usages of that term, it would mean that he is known to have been exposed to the virus, and that he is not to leave home for any reason, even to walk a dog unless he has a fully enclosed and private area in which he can do so. (If you have been quarantined, ibobi, best wishes.)

Today, California (like a few other states) was put under a stay-at-home order, which is similar to a shelter-in-place order. Under those restrictions, people are to stay at home as much as possible, but may go out for necessary errands, usually defined to include things like grocery shopping or dog walking -- all with appropriate attention to social distancing.

It may seem that I'm harping on a fine point of terminology, but it's important, because the terms that are used convey a lot about what is and is not permitted. If in any doubt about what restrictions currently apply to any specific location, check with your local government or a reliable news source (not social media). Here's one relevant news report:

Old Mar 20th, 2020, 04:04 PM

well here in Victoria BC ( i am at home because my visit to NYC was gobsmacked by the closure of the MET where i was going to see my fellow Canadian and one of our most wonderful artists had 2 gigantic pieces in the entrance hall) we are fortunate. our climate , the mildest in Canada, has given us almost a week of sunny and warming weather. the ability to walk my dog or with friends at arms length has been a gift. little of indoors aside from our own homes is open. local government is beginning to address the needs of our homeless neighbours whose ability to wash hands is limited by the absence of running water and soap where they shelter outdoors

hope all of you stay healthy
cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 06:24 PM

I decided about 10 days ago to strictly self isolate (which may be what iBobi meant). I've been to the grocery store once but only to collect a pre-order of 2+ week's worth of fresh produce etc. they loaded it in my trunk and I drove home with essentially no human contact.

I have lots of books, a nice walking trail close to my house, a garden and enough canned goods/staples/frozen foods/pet food/paper products to last at least a month so I'm in good shape. Plenty of wine on hand

one nagging worry. woke up this morning with a nagging toothache but it went away in about an hour. There is no way I'll visit the dentist unless it turns really bad . . .
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 08:17 PM
kja

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
I decided about 10 days ago to strictly self isolate...
one nagging worry. woke up this morning with a nagging toothache but it went away in about an hour. There is no way I'll visit the dentist unless it turns really bad . . .
Whatever your current situation, I would strongly urge you to contact your dentist and/or primary care physician about how YOU should proceed.
And best wishes, janisj.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 09:12 PM

You know the police shows where the suspect is told to not leave town? The mayor here today is putting up roadblocks. Now the main reason is to stop second homers coming but it also means it'll be harder for us to go to the nearby towns. Where for example my bank is.

The beach is officially closed and you risk a fine.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 09:18 PM
kja

@ Traveler_Nick: Can you help us identify where you are? You don't need to name a specific place if you don't want to, but even a little information would help: country, region, area, city, etc?
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 10:37 PM

Technically this is metropolitan Rome. But just south of the actual city.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 10:49 PM
kja

@ Traveler_Nick: Thanks, and best wishes!
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 10:56 PM

thanks.

Just cancelled three hotels and am waiting for the airline to admit my flights are canceled.

Old Mar 21st, 2020, 03:17 AM

Being immunocompromised by my cancer medication, I am under self-isolation. Not for the usual 14 days but unlimited, as long as this nightmare lasts.

Currently I am still in the stage of self-pity and lack of ideas how to make use of this time - I hope that this will pass, LOL. There are enough unread books, unwatched videos, unwritten blogs, letters and e-mails awaiting a reply, undone repairs, unmended socks etc. hidden in my home to keep me busy for weeks.

But aren't we grateful for modern media, telephone, TV, and most of all the internet that help us to stay in touch with friends and family, organize our errands, keep our minds occupied, give access to up-to-date information.

Best wishes to everyone out there, stay as healthy as you can!
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 05:50 AM

"But aren't we grateful for modern media, telephone, TV, and most of all the internet that help us to stay in touch with friends and family, organize our errands, keep our minds occupied, give access to up-to-date information."

YES! Thank goodness for the internet, phones and TV.
I had a friend remind me that I rehearsed for this last year when I broke my ankle and was homebound for eleven weeks. I made it through that and I'll make it through this.
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 05:56 PM

Beaverton, Oregon: I have been inside with my cat since March 4. DS and DIL have brought requested groceries to the door of my condo. I have left twice to get the mail and once to put a bag of garbage in the dumpster! Doing well....cable tv, Netflix, Amazon Prime and my Kindle! (I am 77)
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 10:05 PM
kja

@ quokka: I hadn't known of your cancer treatments -- I think a little bit of self-pity would be my first go-to response, too! But I'm sure you'll pull yourself out of that when it's the right time for you to do so, and then trust you'll find so many ways to spend your time that you won't know how you managed before! Sending lots of good wishes

@ schmerl: While I regret that you had a "practice" episode, I'm sure it is serving you well just now!

@ catspajamas: Who would have ever believed that the best advice to anyone, let alone our silver generation, would be to isolate!?! But strange as it sounds, self-isolating is currently a great choice for those with 77 years behind them -- and many with less and certainly everybody with more! I hope your cat is showing appropriate appreciation for the extra time with you.

And to everyone who is quarantined, isolated, sheltered-in-place, curfewed, hospitalized, or just confused and concerned -- best wishes.
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by kja View Post
I sincerely hope that ibobi is not quarantined! Under must current usages of that term, it would mean that he is known to have been exposed to the virus, and that he is not to leave home for any reason, even to walk a dog unless he has a fully enclosed and private area in which he can do so. (If you have been quarantined, ibobi, best wishes.)

Today, California (like a few other states) was put under a stay-at-home order, which is similar to a shelter-in-place order. Under those restrictions, people are to stay at home as much as possible, but may go out for necessary errands, usually defined to include things like grocery shopping or dog walking -- all with appropriate attention to social distancing.

It may seem that I'm harping on a fine point of terminology, but it's important, because the terms that are used convey a lot about what is and is not permitted. If in any doubt about what restrictions currently apply to any specific location, check with your local government or a reliable news source (not social media). Here's one relevant news report:
I agree. We're not under quarantine here in California. I'm in Los Angeles County. I went out for a 20-minute power walk today in my neighborhood as I'm to walk. Other folks were out, walking their dogs, and there was an elderly man with one of those step counters on him and he was out walking and there was also a jogger with his dog. Everyone was keeping more than a 6-foot distance from each other. Plus, since I live in Downtown Pasadena, there were a few folks with grocery bags. People have to go out and get groceries and when living downtown many walk to Trader Joe's. Plus, although I have a car, everyone doesn't have a car and some of the stores have either stopped grocery delivery or it's nearly impossible to get a delivery date from those who are still delivering. I've been trying for 3 days to have a few grocery items delivered, but can't get a delivery date.

As far as quarantine, as I wrote back in early February, I put myself into self-imposed quarantine upon returning home after being in S.E. Asia from December to February. I was fine and didn't come down with anything, but did it for public safety and then didn't see my mom, at her house up the street, for an additional week after I came out of self-imposed quarantine just to be sure. Being able to go out today and take a walk was nothing like my self-imposed quarantine in February. When I was in Asia, when one was quarantined then it meant 14 days whether one had the Wuhan-Corona virus or not and depending on where one had come from and into Singapore. Now there have been new cases of which most have come from folks who are returning to Singapore from other countries. And a week or so ago, I was reading in one of my Asian online newspapers that 2 foreigners, but holders of Singaporean visas who were ordered into home quarantine, broke their ordered quarantine and were outside walking around and the street cameras caught them and their visas have been revoked.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid19-32-new-cases-moh-update-coronavirus-12555736

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2020/01/26/the-rapid-global-spread-of-the-novel-coronavirus---total-cases-so-far#cxrecs_s

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Mar 22nd, 2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 03:41 AM

Thank you kja!

Thankfully, due to my illness I had already organized a network of friends who are ready to help me. They are connected in a Whatsapp group, all I have to do is post a message telling them what I need, and anyone who has time to do so will respond. One has pulled out, being at risk herself due to a chronic illness. But the rest works. I am constantly amazed how well it works, and grateful for these people who step out of their way to support me. It is more shopping now - previously a friend used to take me to a supermarket by car so I could do my grocery shopping myself.
The fridge is filled to the brim, and I know that I won't be left alone. All this creates a good feeling.
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 07:12 AM

I am pretty much self-isolating because I am in a high risk group. Boring because I would love to be out more. I am taking short walks and keeping quite distant from otherpeople out walking. We have skyped with friends. That was nice. Keeping in touch via email and phone. We have started doing Yoga once a day and I like that - calming and good exercise. Watching Crave TV in the evening. And of course reading a lot. I am longing for warmer weather when I can sit out in the back yard. Our rescue kitty has been a godsend - keeping us company and being amusing.. I worry a lot about a couple of friends (One is still working and has a 90 year old mother at home Another is still in Thailand. Another is not taking the whole self-isolate thing as seriously as she should.)