Honeymoon Dilemma......Where?!?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone! I have already made a few post in the caribbean and central america section, but still looking at possible honeymoon locations. So i figured I would make a general post which is what I should have done from the beginning but oh well.

I am getting married in June and can't wait. Both my future wife and I are very active and enjoy a good adventure. Some things we would like to do are snorkeling/possibly diving. We probably plan on hooking up with a snorkeling outfit to take us to prime locations but it would also be nice if we could find a place that has decent snorkeling from the shore also, but that is not a deal breaker. Would like to have nice beaches nearby or in the area to just enjoy and unwind and relax. Like I said earlier we both love adventure so we definitely would like a place that has adventure activities too like ziplining, cayoneering, hiking, waterfalls, caves, jungles, 4x4 tours, exploring old ancient ruins would be cool. I will say that snorkeling and beaches are very high on the priority list. The hiking and adventurous activities would be 2nd priority, and the ancient ruins explorations would be last priority. We definitely some day want do some serious explorations and rough it but not on the honeymoon.

From researching the caribbean and nearby areas it seems like June is the start of hurricane / rainy season. We understand that it may rain from time to time which is fine, we just would rather it not rain for our entire honeymoon. Being that its the beginning of rainy / hurricane season, are continuous torrential downpours to be worried about or not so much?

We will be going away for 10-14 days. And we just want to make the most of our time there.

I think thats about it as far as background info. If you wonderful informative people need any more background info just let me know.

Thank you again for all of your help!

And for those of you who have already commented on my previous posts, thank you very much and welcome any more advice you have!

Dave
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Sounds like you are describing Costa Rica, especially the Pacific side. I'm not a snorkeler/diver, but there are probably some great places around there- I know Honduras has a large diving community. Otherwise, Costa Rica has Ziplines, hot springs with a view of the volcano, really beautiful beaches, and some 'adventure'. Caves and Canyons don't sound like my idea of a honeymoon, and I can't comment on options in Costa rica with regard to those, either.
Quepos, the town near Manual Antonio probably has some luxury resorts these days but when I was there, we stayed at 2-3 star style hotels where breakfast was included and beans and rice were lunch and dinner. Again, not luxury, but sounds like you'd be cool with that. You can move enough that you can spend a few days at the beach, a few days near the Volcano Arenal and then the cloud forest adventure stuff. Congrats and have fun!
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 03:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mayan Riviera
Hawaii
Jamaica
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

@ Katlake - Yeah we have been looking at Costa Rica and we both are really intrigued by it. It has everything we love doing! Our only hesitation is that it would be during the rainy season and looking at different maps it looks like it would be quite rainy while we are there.

@ Suze - Do you recommend any particular locations at Jamaica and Mayan Riviera?

Thanks!
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 05:37 AM

Congrats!

Belize will tick all your boxes also english speaking.

www.robertsgrove.com

www.cavesbranch.com for some jungle

No ruins in CR pacific colder water snorkel ok not great

www.hotelvillacaletas.com www.thespringscostarica.com

Jamaica nice beach/snorkel no ruins jungle

Couples Swept Away Negril is Nice there.

Happy Hunting,
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most definitely... Negril is my recommendation for Jamaica!

I have never even been myself to the Mayan Riviera (because I always go to the Pacific coast side, specifically Puerto Vallarta). But I know you can fly into Cancun, then head south along the coast on either side of the town of Playa del Carmen and find all kinds of nice resorts like you describe. Plus that side has white sand, turquoise water, and quite a number of ruins you can visit.

Summer is rainy season, but it won't be torrential downpours 24/7 but you are likely to catch some showers in any of the places you're considering. It's just that time of year.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 08:47 PM

Paris. such a romantic place
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM

June is definitely the official start of hurricane season in the Caribbean, but there are relatively few hurricanes (and certainly few serious ones) before late July. That's not to say you won't see one. I really like June and July in the Caribbean. It's hot but not yet too hot, and unless there is a tropical front, the chance of steady rain isn't too bad.

Given what you describe (and especially if you want to do a budget-friendly trip), take a look at Belize. You can spend some time on the beach and some inland and enjoy everything the country has to offer.

Another good choice would be Panama. It rains more there in June, but Panama is rarely affected by hurricanes directly. And the country offers almost all the activities you like. Again, you'd want to split your time among different parts of the country, but there are some really great places in Panama, though I wouldn't go there if I were just looking for a beach vacation. Belize would be better in that case ... even more than Costa Rica. But Costa Rica is certainly a strong choice for you. It also offers everything you're looking for.