Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Help finding a beach resort w/ nightlife for a young couple! (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/help-finding-a-beach-resort-w-nightlife-for-a-young-couple-1020633/)

pellicma33 Jul 21st, 2014 08:47 AM

Help finding a beach resort w/ nightlife for a young couple!

I am 24 and my girlfriend is 23, we have never been to any kind of resort before so we don't have much to go on. However, we love to travel and have been all over the US and are looking to stay at a resort somewhere with a beach and a fun nightlife!

We certainly like to drink and it wouldn't be a vacation without margaritas on the beach and beers by the pool. We also love to explore and although being by a beach is certainly more important, an ideal resort would also have opportunities for us to stay active whether it's just snorkeling or surfing, or if there is some local hiking we could do that would be great too!

Any suggestions are welcome, our options are as wide open as they could be at this point!

janisj Jul 21st, 2014 11:36 AM

>>looking to stay at a resort somewhere with a beach and a fun nightlife!<<

Are you asking about resorts in the US . . . or just anywhere? If you are looking outside the States, are you open to world-wide or are you asking about areas like the Caribbean or the east or west coasts of Mexico?

suze Jul 21st, 2014 01:21 PM

My suggestion is not to limit yourself to a "resort". There are lots of fun places to go where you'd just get a hotel room, then have drinks, food, nightlife around town.

Two of my favorites are Puerto Vallarta Mexico and Negril Jamaica.

pellicma33 Jul 21st, 2014 02:12 PM

Thanks, I will look into those places!

And I am looking mainly in the Mexico/Caribbean regions. Now I am thinking that Puerto Vallarta or Negril would be fun so we can get off the main strip a bit and see the cities and local life, are these areas dangerous?

suze Jul 21st, 2014 02:20 PM

No, neither place is "dangerous".

Negril is more rustic and a very small town. PV is a regular Mexican city of 250,000 pop. PV is on the Pacific side. If you're interested in the Caribbean side then look at: Isla Mujeres, Cancun, or Playa del Carmen.

LucyStanmore Jul 22nd, 2014 07:42 AM

Have you taken into consideration the islands in the Carribean. They have gorgeous beaches and a great nightlife. Also, if you want a more remote location, I would recommend Ibiza in Spain. That's where the real parties and nightlife are taking place.

schmerl Jul 23rd, 2014 04:34 AM

Look into the Riviera Maya area of Mexico....Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tulum, etc.

suze Jul 23rd, 2014 08:06 AM

I agree about the Riviera Maya area, but is there "fun nightlife" like they are seeking in Akumal or Tulum?

I thought those places are more rustic and quiet (why I suggested only Playa del Carmen not the towns further south). Serious question as I haven't been to that 'side' myself.