Search

Ireland in April

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland in April

Hi!

I have never been a 24 year old solo traveler before and it kinda happened on a whim. The day I booked my ticket for a 12 day trip to Ireland my friend was suppose to book hers as well. But, after I had already booked mine she came home from Christmas vacation and told she was not going! So here I am, a solo traveler to Ireland and I am soooo excited..Anyone going to Ireland in April?? Or any hostels they recommend in like Dublin, Galway or Cork?? Or just any recommendations of things to do, places to eat, places to grab a beer? I have never been to Europe, just mostly traveled throughout the whole US. So any help would be awesome!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:55 AM

bad luck but youve got the right attitude! Id suggest a day or two in dublin, but afetr that try to get out as soon a possible and see other places and absorb the scenery etc. would you consider hiring a car or is it a tour where everything is included?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:44 AM

I am going to have a layover in Ireland. Traveled alone there before.....Dublin is so lovely to walk.
Have fun.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Ireland is a great spot for a solo trip. Galway is full of youngish people and there's a hostel right next to the Great Southern hotel on Eyre Square. Lots of good pubs (try the Quays). In Dublin, see if Trinity College is in session; if not they may have reasonable lodging. BTW train from Galway to Dublin is only 3 hours. Temple Bar area of Dublin has many night spots and good music. I liked the Fitzwilliam Guest House (not hotel) in Merriam (sp?) Square area.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM

Hi Subright04!

I have been to Ireland several times - I have distant relatives there - in Cork actually. The first time was with my entire family and we just visited Dublin but when I was 20 I went back with my 80 year old grandmother. It may not have been solo traveling but I was certainly the one in charge - driving down those narrow streets on the other side of the road, finding hotels and food and interesting sites that she could navigate.
And, like most travel experiences, it was amazing. We flew over in March or April (I forget now - but it was my Spring Break at the time) so it was foggy and rainy (go figure), and definitely sweater weather but still beautiful, as always. I brought a travel guide with me and mapped out the towns we wanted to stay in. Whenever we would stop in a town I would get out the guidebook and pick a hotel or B&B or two and just stop and ask if they had room. We never had a problem finding a place. There are so many hostels and hotels and B&B's and everyone in Ireland is so willing to open their home to you - it's incredible.
If you are renting a car I would stop by Bantry and Tipperary and Waterford for sure. We took the coastal road from Dublin to Bantry Bay and back up to Dublin in two weeks. I highly recommend it - lots of great lookouts to stop at. Good luck and have fun on your trip!
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 05:34 PM

I've been to all three of those places you mentioned but the only hostel I really liked of those three was in Dublin. They had a full Irish Breakfast buffet style. It's co-ed which was a first for me. It's really close to the bus station,a few steps really which I utilized greatly.
http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldet...ers-Dublin-102