Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Have you used something today you brought home from a trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/have-you-used-something-today-you-brought-home-from-a-trip-356661/)

starrs May 7th, 2008 04:05 PM

Have you used something today you brought home from a trip?

I just used some olive oil I brought back from Sonoma (Dry Creek Olive Co) and a bowl that I bought at a pottery outside LaConner, WA. It's one of my favorite thing about traveling - using things I brought home every day at home.

Did you use something from your travels today?

MsE May 7th, 2008 04:10 PM

Yes.
My Inis perfume, but I can't remember if I bought this bottle in Connemara or at home at the Irish festival.

LoveItaly May 7th, 2008 04:14 PM

Not today but yesterday starrs. I used a pretty white champagne opener that a good friend in Italy gave me for the express purpose of how I used it, to open a cap on a bottle. I always think of him when I use it. And the other day I used the wood mortar and pestle that I bought years ago at a Farmer's Market in N Italy. Oh, I did today actually, I put some lovely vine ripened tomatoes in a pretty white bowl I bought in Italy.

LucieV May 7th, 2008 04:14 PM

I used some of the vanilla extract which I bought in Zihuatanejo 4 years ago. I use it all the time -- I bought so much, I may never again have to buy vanilla.

MomDDTravel May 7th, 2008 04:19 PM

not today..but last night I used some herbs I purchased in Italy last summer...

Mary2Go May 7th, 2008 04:19 PM

I used my Spode coffee mug purchased in London...it's nice and big for my a.m. wake up.

SharonG May 7th, 2008 04:20 PM

I use the beautiful Pierre Frey - Yves Deslormes duvet cover I bought in Paris a few weeks ago. It makes me happy just to look at it on my bed. That and the little wash mitts we bought in Monoprix last year.

cigalechanta May 7th, 2008 04:25 PM

A friend was here for lunch so we sat outside and I served the cheeses in the wooden round tray with the fold over net cover that's for cheese that was given to me by friends in Provence.

goddesstogo May 7th, 2008 04:29 PM

Even as we speak, I'm wearing my great little ring-watch that my SO bought me in NY!

MelJ May 7th, 2008 04:38 PM

I rest my coffee spoon on one of several ceramic ltea bag holders each day. Today was a Green Harrod's one, shaped like a teapot.

trippinkpj May 7th, 2008 04:41 PM

Well, something DH brought home from a trip. A mug "Coffee From Hell", which he got in Hell, MI.
FYI Starrs, I love LaConner, WA. My brother lives near there.

AAFrequentFlyer May 7th, 2008 04:43 PM

Original artwork from all over the world has been hanging on my walls for years. I have received many compliments on my small mid-priced collection.

I guess I'm using stuff bought abroad on a daily basis....:-)

Kal May 7th, 2008 04:46 PM

I used what is left over of my tanned legs and arms from Kauai at the gym today. ((#)) ((H))

StCirq May 7th, 2008 04:49 PM

I don't think a day goes by that I don't use a LOT of stuff from my travels.

Today I used saffron I bought at the market in Le Bugue, sea salt from Provence, bowls from Perugia, a mousepad from Paris, a jacket I bought in Rome, shoes I bought in Bordeaux, a scarf I bought in Amsterdam, a bracelet I bought in Kenya, my violet perfume from an autoroute stop somewhere around Montpellier, moisturizer from Sarlat, and earrings I bought in Castiglione di Lago.

Kind of amazing, now that I write it down!

cat111719 May 7th, 2008 04:55 PM

I'm wearing a shirt I bought in Hawaii over Christmas, and served up some chips on a wooden plate I bought at the ABC store.

And I use my little herb grinder that I bought in Avignon all the time.

goddesstogo May 7th, 2008 05:01 PM

I don't shop much when I travel except for earrings and a few gifts, but we do buy something for the house everywhere we go. And I always try to bring back small pieces of art or photographs to hang in the house and in my office. My office wall is getting covered with photos from many of the places I've traveled. It's a great conversation piece!

cigalechanta May 7th, 2008 05:07 PM

godesstogo, my place is covered on walls with posters given to me through the years in France that I framed, a freebie that costs $$$ and my favorite photos that I snapped.

goddesstogo May 7th, 2008 05:11 PM

oh cc,
If I had to depend on good photos that I snapped my walls would be bare! I'm possibly the world's worst photographer -- and I've actually taken photography courses in art school and university. There's something about having that little machine between me and the thing... I could probably draw it faster. And better! :-D

NeoPatrick May 7th, 2008 05:26 PM

Last year in Paris, walking up near Parc Villette, I saw a chef's supply store. I went in and bought a chef's knife -- their own brand -- by playing mime/charades with the owner who didn't speak any English. I use that knife almost every day.

Statia May 7th, 2008 05:50 PM

I use my spoon rest from Firenze lying next to my stove every day. :)