Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Have you mailed things to yourself from an airport ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/have-you-mailed-things-to-yourself-from-an-airport-922430/)

fieldtripcoordinator Feb 2nd, 2012 03:20 PM

Have you mailed things to yourself from an airport ?

With all the TSA regulations regarding what we can and cannot bring onto an airplane, I read story after story of people who have had their favorite pocket knife confiscated. Is it possible to mail the item to yourself from the airport? Has anyone actually done this?

thursdaysd Feb 2nd, 2012 04:34 PM

Depends on the airport, I would think. But once you've entered the TSA's area, they are VERY opposed to you leaving. Better to leave anything that might cause problems at home, or put it in a checked bag.

fieldtripcoordinator Feb 3rd, 2012 07:45 AM

Thanks for your input!

eliztravels Feb 3rd, 2012 01:05 PM

My husband once mailed something from the Vancouver airport. I think it was a small pair of scissors. The security officer was actually the one who suggested it.

thursdaysd Feb 3rd, 2012 02:07 PM

The Canadian security officers are much more relaxed and helpful than the TSA people in the US. I've even seen them handing out quart bags for people who hadn't pre-packed their liquids. Do NOT count on a TSA officer doing anything other than confiscating your knife. After all, they even confiscate cup cakes...

fieldtripcoordinator Feb 3rd, 2012 07:10 PM

Couldn't you just leave the security area, mail your package, and then go back through security? Yes, that would be inconvenient, but might be worth it if they're about to confiscate something that is meaningful to you.

thursdaysd Feb 3rd, 2012 08:09 PM

No. Once you're in the TSA area, you're in.

"The requirement for all the passengers is that once they enter the screening area and submit themselves to the screening process, to complete the screening," said Aguilar. (Chief of the TSA office in San Diego.)

See also: http://www.elliott.org/blog/the-insi...-with-the-tsa/

suze Feb 5th, 2012 08:01 PM

It's not easy to find a box or padded envelope, stamps, and a mail box at an airport. I've wanted to mail postcards a few times and never managed to do it.

thursdaysd Feb 5th, 2012 08:26 PM

Maybe it's a US thing. I can't find any mention of a post office facility at JFK, except perhaps in the Air Cargo facility, but the London Heathrow site says:

"you'll find post boxes and coin-operated stamp machines in each terminal, usually in both departures (after security) and arrivals."

However, my point still stands. If you enter the security check area with something the TSA may confiscate, you can't then leave if they decide they are going to confiscate it.

suze Feb 5th, 2012 08:46 PM

If you want to get a pocketknife home, put it into your checked luggage. Or if you want to mail it to yourself, do so before going to the airport.

Agreeing with the post above, once it's been confiscated by TSA, there's nothing you can do about it.

Iowa_Redhead Feb 6th, 2012 07:45 AM

<<<Couldn't you just leave the security area, mail your package, and then go back through security? Yes, that would be inconvenient, but might be worth it if they're about to confiscate something that is meaningful to you.>>>

Not usually. Sometimes they'll let you do that, but generally not and I certainly wouldn't want to count on it. They don't want someone "testing" the system so once you're in the security area, you're stuck.

Put it in a checked bag, mail it <i>before</i> you get to the airport, or simply don't take the item with you in the first place.

suze Feb 6th, 2012 12:21 PM

<Couldn't you just leave the security area, mail your package, and then go back through security?>

I'm still stuck on where do you think are you going to find a box, buy stamps, and locate a mailbox in an airport?

Why do you have a "favorite pocketknife" in your pocket going thru airport security in the first place?

thursdaysd Feb 6th, 2012 01:03 PM

"
Why do you have a "favorite pocketknife" in your pocket going thru airport security in the first place?"

That's really the question, isn't it? If you know, as you clearly do, that the TSA won't allow an item through, there's no reason to have it with you. Duh.

tomfuller Feb 6th, 2012 03:02 PM

I have packed a heavy object wrapped in dirty clothes in a flat rate box and mailed it home in a USPS flat rate box. That way I have less to worry about carrying on the plane. If I can I try to fly using only 1 carry on bag.
I just love it when my pants fall to my knees because they made me remove my belt.
I think a lot more women should wear their swimsuits through the scammer and then put on their travel clothes at the gate.

mrssparky Feb 7th, 2012 07:57 AM

I had my pocket knife removed from my carry on luggage (which I had forgotten about). The airport I was in had a service with packaging etc. right in the security area. It cost me $10.00 but I was able to mail my knife home and it was there waiting for me when I returned home. That was a few years ago and I don't know if that service still exists. I'm more careful now about what is in that checked bag!

thursdaysd Feb 7th, 2012 08:15 AM

Was that before or after 9/11? And which country?

mrssparky Feb 7th, 2012 09:12 AM

Post 9/11 in the USA. Upstate NY.

mrssparky Feb 7th, 2012 09:14 AM

Either Buffalo or Rochester, cannot recall.

mrssparky Feb 7th, 2012 10:50 AM

Later this month we are flying out of Reno and I am trying to find out how early I can check my luggage. While looking at their website I found a description of the service I must have used. They have one in Reno!

http://www.renoairport.com/passenger...enger-services

mrssparky Feb 7th, 2012 10:59 AM

Dear me. I'm obsessing.....

It is a service called 'Airport Mailers'

http://www.airportmailers.com/index.html