Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Have you ever eaten at a domestic chain while abroad? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/have-you-ever-eaten-at-a-domestic-chain-while-abroad-1670599/)

EugenesTeam Aug 12th, 2019 03:42 PM

Have you ever eaten at a domestic chain while abroad?

Have you ever eaten at a domestic chain while abroad?

Why?

How was it?

janisj Aug 12th, 2019 04:23 PM

Yes - I admit to more than once eating at a McDonalds or KFC in other countries (which is sort of weird since I almost never eat any fast food back home). I claim it is to check out cultural differences ;) But it is just that sometimes a fast/cheap burger or fries hits the spot. Now, I don't do this often at all -- but I have in London, in Munich, in Japan, in Paris over maybe the last 12 years.

And last month I had a Sufferin' Bastard and pupu platter at Trader Vic's in London -- for nostalgia reasons.

But in general no - I don't.

RoamsAround Aug 12th, 2019 04:51 PM

With the exception of a very few “high end” venues most chain restaurants serve mediocre food so I don’t frequent them in my home country very often. When traveling I try to dine at places that serve better than average food and wouldn’t think of going to a chain restaurant.

baldone Aug 12th, 2019 05:00 PM

Since I live in Mexico full time, I have a little different perspective. But yes, wife and I do indulge in domestic (American) chains. McD's for EggMcMuffins when we can find them. Carl's Jr, KFC, Subway, DQ all make the cut when we're on the road. Can't find them at home. Domino's at home sometimes. IHOP & Chili's suck. Do Costco hotdogs count?

kja Aug 12th, 2019 06:52 PM

Once and only once -- fries late in the evening at a McD in Edinborough because it had a wonderful picture window overlooking the Princes Street Gardens, with the Castle lit up above the gardens. Awesome view! :)

Traveler_Nick Aug 12th, 2019 07:58 PM

Tim Horton's in Madrid.

Blah. No walnut krulers. Limited choice of pastries. Coffee was burnt.

Why? I was walking and it was there. Really not much around the first one except for some apartment buildings.

The second time a rain storm had hit and I needed a place to wait out the rain.

crellston Aug 12th, 2019 11:51 PM

What do you mean by “domestic” and “abroad”?

HappyTrvlr Aug 13th, 2019 06:06 AM

Also,once and only once, we could not find one restaurant or cafe open for a late lunch while crossing the Champagne region. We stopped at a McDonalds and were interested to find some Moroccan influences on the menu there. We were told many Moroccans work harvesting the grapes. We never eat at McDonald’s when home in the US so it was a real food emergency!

MarnieWDC Aug 13th, 2019 07:31 AM

Starbucks in several countries - mainly for the Rest Room - & a quick bite with coffee.

AJPeabody Aug 13th, 2019 08:10 AM

No. Not foreign. Not domestic. Life is too short to eat plastic.

Fodorite018 Aug 13th, 2019 10:48 AM

Like a couple others here, once and only once. McDonalds in Portugal, as the kids needed the bathroom and you had to buy something and get the code. It was just as bad as here.

suze Aug 13th, 2019 03:26 PM

By "domestic" do you mean a U.S.A. fast food chain?

Is Carl's Jr. a "domestic chain?" I do often have a hamburger from them while waiting for my departure flight at the Puerto Vallarta airport.

Rich Aug 13th, 2019 03:32 PM

Ate many melw at the green Moules-frites restaurants in Paris . . I saw a lot of them so I assume it was a local chain. Ate once at a god-awful; steak chain in London . . "Angus something" or "Something Angus" . . terrible!

janisj Aug 13th, 2019 03:48 PM

>>Angus something" or "Something Angus<<<<

Aberdeen Steakhouse - now called Angus Steakhouse. They've been around for decades and have been truly awful the whole time. MY personal opinion the reason so many American visitors think food in the UK is crap is because they ate at one or more . . . ;)

Rich Aug 13th, 2019 04:49 PM

That's it . . I was stranded and made the poor decision to go for a steak instead of Fishy chips . . but only once!

Macross Aug 13th, 2019 05:03 PM

If on the road we have run into a McDonalds for the bathroom and get something on the euro menu. We had breakfast at one in Augsburg before catching the train. I bought a Croque Monsier at McDonald's at CDG. It was ok but rarely eat chain food at home. We have so many great local places. burger king in Cadiz had nice bathrooms but the food line was so long didn't feel I needed to buy anything. We ate five guys fries in Paris for the loo and to get out of the rain one afternoon when they were boarding up the stores for the yellow vest protestors. That place is busy all the time. They are easy loo stops for sure. Nothing to be embarrassed about. I love Wagamama's in Dublin and the UK.

Jean Aug 13th, 2019 05:38 PM

Sure. Starbucks, McDs… Sometimes it's a simple solution to a problem/issue.

Years ago, my suggestions to someone heading to Versailles for the first time included leaving Paris as early as possible, stopping at the McDonald's across from the RER station in Versailles for coffee and a restroom break, and then getting to the palace when the gates open. We re-visited Versailles a couple of years ago and noticed there is now a Starbucks across from the train station and McDs. Better coffee, yay!

When we were in Bern a few years ago, the coffee at Starbucks was better and cheaper than the other places we tried. Starbucks is also good at choosing locations and becomes an appealing place for an afternoon pause/snack/internet connection even if you weren't planning to stop. In some locations, we've found locals far outnumber tourists.

We were in Japan in December one year and discovered that, while the Japanese don't observe Christmas, they do buy Christmas Chicken at KFC. "Kentucky for Christmas" is the marketing tag line. You have to order well in advance or face long lines.

Rich Aug 13th, 2019 07:11 PM

IT was not a chain at the time, but we used to eat at the original Hard Rock Cafe in London every now and then. It was not very popular at first, but had good burgers.q. It got too loud and too crowded after about a year

Odin Aug 13th, 2019 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by kja (Post 16969460)
Once and only once -- fries late in the evening at a McD in Edinborough

It's Edinburgh!

Yes I have eaten in domestic chains whilst abroad, for example, Wagamama and Pret a Manger. They were fine.

kja Aug 13th, 2019 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 16970072)
It's Edinburgh!.

Oh gosh, I can't believe I wrote that! :cry: