Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Has anyone used a Relief Band? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/has-anyone-used-a-relief-band-445905/)

southerncal Oct 10th, 2008 04:57 PM

Has anyone used a Relief Band?

Has anyone used a Relief Band to prevent sea sickness and if so, does it really work? Thanks for any information that you can give me.

LoveItaly Oct 11th, 2008 03:12 PM

Hello southerncal, I never have but I had a friend who took a cruise and used one and swore by it. She said she always got seasick inspite of loving to take cruises. That is all I know, not first hand experience.

Ozziez Oct 11th, 2008 05:56 PM

I have used them, but they did not work on me.

scotlib Oct 12th, 2008 04:46 PM

Hi,

I tried a pair from the pharmacy and almost felt sick just from wearing the band, but the band was also very tight on me. I do know friends who use them, so I will probably try again sometime.

What I tried was a fixed size band, but I have seen adjustable ones in travel catalogs, perhaps try them first.

Cheers.

abranz Oct 12th, 2008 06:49 PM

did not work for me at all.
maybe i did not position it correctly on my wrist but none of the adjustments made a difference.

jlaughs Oct 13th, 2008 12:32 PM

This sounds the same as a Sea Band (elastic band around wrist with a ball that hits your pressure point, right?). If it is the same, my family swears by them. My daughter thinks it's the greatest invention ever made and it has saved many a vacation for various members of my family. My mom wears them on every cruise she has ever taken and my daughter even keeps them in her purse now for the occasional times when she gets car sick while riding with friends.

4holdings Oct 17th, 2008 10:19 PM

I've worn the bands and can't really say they help. However, since I get motion sickness really easy I take orange flavor dramamine cut in halves and the moment I feel I may need it I pop 1/4 to 1/2. This dosage seems to help and doesn't get you too drowsy. Make sure if you decide to go with Dramamine - open the pack before you need it because their packaging is hard to open. Good luck!

Virgogirl Oct 18th, 2008 09:17 PM

I wore them on our transatlantic flight last weekend and had no nausea, but I seldom ever do. I take Dramamine or wear Sea-Band probably more for psychological reasons. One thing I AM certain helps greatly, is ginger. You can buy ginger root capsules at any vitamin store. I don't do boats, but on rare occasion when I'm talked into it, ginger has saved me.

heartofthesouth Dec 3rd, 2008 10:21 PM

My fiance bought a boat and I get really sea sick. I bought the relief bands and they worked fantastic for me.

Wiskers Jan 8th, 2009 10:11 AM

I would suggest using "Antivert" now available as a generic over the counter instead.

One very rocky cruise in the Caribbean everyone at our table was sea sick even with the patch or the band. I shared my antivert with them and they were very impressed with the results.