Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Great Forum Idea--How About Culinary Education? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/great-forum-idea-how-about-culinary-education-692179/)

Granadino Mar 29th, 2007 08:45 AM

Great Forum Idea--How About Culinary Education?

Of course, this is a big trend in travel and not all cookery vacation programs are really all that "educational." Any suggestions?

I have personally experienced a very educational and enjoyable mini-vacation in Nova Scotia last year at the Nova Scotia Seafood Cooking School--excellent instructors and beautiful location. I've never seen such fresh fish and seafood!

How about other North American or European schools?

Lily Jul 11th, 2007 12:27 PM

I love this idea. A few years ago I took the half day cooking class at the New Orleans Cooking School which was great.

beachbum Jul 13th, 2007 12:04 PM

My wife would kill to take cooking classes in Paris, but Patty Wells is gonna have to wait a few years before that fits into the travel budget. In the meantime, she's got her eyes on some classes in Santa Fe. Works for me! They've got a good photography school there too.

Yeah, culinary travel has grown considerably in the last few years, but I don't know if it warrants a separate forum. I think we've got too many as it is on Fodor's.

CasaDelCipresso Oct 11th, 2007 12:20 PM

I think there are lots of options - some vacaion rental sites are even using that as a search opion now!

The situations really can be so different...from formal schools to one-day workshops, etc. - I was approched by a local chef in Italy and she offers private or semi-private lessons and workshops on cooking local cuisine...she comes right to your home.

FamilyTravelPlanet Nov 12th, 2007 04:47 AM

As the Family Travel Expert for www.FamilyTravelPlanet.com, I am constantly on the lookout for fun family vacation ideas. My nephew loves to cook, so I began researching culinary travel opportunites. Most four and five-star properties offer many ways to be a "Chef for a Day" and have programs like "Make Holiday Cookies with the Chef," etc. You will be surprised at how many properties offer holiday-themed cooking opportunities right on-site. If you ask, they are usually happy to arrange a special day with the top chef of the property. Call the hotel concierge prior to your arrival and inquire. They will usually be happy to help. Whether you are a little kid, or a kid at heart, culinary education can be for the whole family. And, you don't have to fly to Italy or enroll at a school. Most properties can accommodate you on your vacation to most major metropolitan cities. I know Chicago and New York have these available. Try the Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons or Hyatt properties. I have seen these programs offered from time-to-time.
Jennifer Michaels
www.FamilyTravelPlanet.com

Laurane Dec 10th, 2007 03:32 AM

Plenty of European suggestions!
In Paris, do not miss Laura and A World in a Pan. Her classes are quite unique! After cooking fresh local ingredients for two hours, the clients share the meal in her living room with a beautifully dressed table (www.aworldinapan.com)
In London, call Julia Chalkey from The Art Of Hospitality. A professional and enthusiastic chef, she has the poise you need to succeed in the art of hospitality. [email protected]