Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Going to Colorado Springs and higher altitude. (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/going-to-colorado-springs-and-higher-altitude-842496/)

lumberman45 May 30th, 2010 12:32 PM

Going to Colorado Springs and higher altitude.

Hello,

I will be going to see my son (station there for the US Army) I have never been in that high altitude. I'm in decent shape and all that..I guess I am worried about the higher elevation. If I can make it there, I can make it in Europe..:) My question is this Does anyone have any good tips for being out there and helping me adjust a little? I will only be there for a week.

Thanks in advance..:)

abram May 30th, 2010 02:12 PM

Ideally, spend an overnight in Denver to begin the acclimation process. We often ski in the mountains, and find it helpful to take an aspirin every morning and every evening to thin the blood and improve oxygenation. It is my understanding that it is the dehydration of altitude that creates problems, so we drink lots of water and avoid caffeine and alcohol (which are also dehydrating) for the first two days. A humidifier in the bedroom also helps.

lumberman45 May 30th, 2010 03:28 PM

Thank you..:)

gregntexas Jun 2nd, 2010 07:01 AM

I was in Colorado Springs last September to go to a football game at the Air Force Academy. I was coming from the Texas Gulf Coast (sea level). The first day my wife and I had a headache from the altitude change. As the other poster suggested, take some aspirin for a couple od days and you will be fine. Enjoy your trip, it's a beautiful place to visit. Try riding the Cogg Train up to Pikes Peak, it's pretty awesome.

kywood1955 Jun 2nd, 2010 11:06 AM

Drink lots and lots and lots of water. I know that sounds simple, but it is critical (been here since 1977). You may not realize how dry Colorado is and lack of water will sap your energy and give you headaches. And rest for the first day or so.

Vttraveler Jun 3rd, 2010 03:59 AM

We are just back from a trip to CO. I read somewhere it is best to try to adjust to altitude by going up only 1000 ft/day but that is very limiting if you want to head into the mountains. We stayed in Denver area (Golden) overnight when we arrived. The next day we went west to Georgetown/Frisco, up to about 9000 feet, quite a bit higher than Co Springs. We felt the altitude somewhat that day but it wasn't a major problem. Lots of water definitely helps. We restricted alcohol to beer (probably would have done that anyway)

If you go up Pikes Peak it would probably be good to wait for a few days for that. I don't recommend driving up--it is a rather frightening drive. Another place for a great view at lower altitude is the Will Rogers shrine near the zoo in Colorado Springs

Also--take and use lots of sunscreen

HappyTrvlr Jun 4th, 2010 06:20 PM

Europe will not be a problem!

Virgogirl Jun 6th, 2010 08:05 PM

Sounds like he's at Ft. Carson? You must be proud of him. Anyway, take it slower the first day or two. I live in Colorado Springs and I still get my altitude headache when we go up on Pikes Peak to fish. It's been a pretty dry spring (where are those "spring rains?")so drink plenty of water. Just expect the headache, take a Tylenol, drink your water, and walk a little slower. Take rest breaks, and enjoy our wonderful fresh air! Don't skip the sunblock because you'll burn much quicker here.

lumberman45 Jun 9th, 2010 11:53 AM

Indeed he is in Ft Carson..:) Perhaps I will run into you there..:) I am still a little nervous but as I think to myself, if I make it there I can make it in Europe! I should hope so..because I am planning on going there next year..:) Thank you..:)

november_moon Jun 9th, 2010 12:37 PM

In addition to the recommendations - make sure you use chapstick with UV protection and also wear extra lotion. Nothing really do to with the altitude, just the dryness. You'll be more comfy if your skin isn't cracking.

lumberman45 Jun 21st, 2010 04:56 PM

I survived the trip..but the bus ride was long!..next time flying..or taking the train..:) next stop Wales!!