Notices

free hotel night experience

Jun 26th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

free hotel night experience

I want to tell Fodorites about our experience with a free night award from a well-known hotel chain (through a bank credit card offer) but since the hotel actually rectified its mistake, I would rather not be specific in my complaint. I am submitting this because others may learn from my experience.
We were in a mid-sized European city and when we checked into our hotel for two nights, we had to return our rental car so we didn't notice that the room which we were given was unusually small. After we returned to our room later that evening after some sightseeing, we realized that the bed was smaller, had one pillow, the coffee service only had one cup and the bathroom only had enough towels for one person. We realized that we had been given a single room!
The next morning, I went to the reception and the same young man who had checked me in admitted his mistake and asked us how they could make it up to us. We had already unpacked and didn't feel like moving into a larger room. He offered us dinner in the hotel restaurant that night. It was an expensive meal with freely-poured wine but they assured me that it was "on the house."
What I learned is that if you realize that an obvious mistake had been made, let the hotel staff know and expect to be compensated fairly.
Jul 3rd, 2014, 09:41 AM

You get what you pay for-- ??

We always make sure we're happy with the room, before we unpack. Lesson learned.

Search this Thread