Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Food for travel with 18 month old baby - US to Ireland

May 9th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

OK, so we are taking our 18 month old on a trip to Ireland from CA. I have been feeding her all healthy, mostly organic food since birth. She never really eats restaurant food. At the place we are staying it doesnt have a microwave or a fridge. So, what would you suggest for food for her? What can I take with me from the US? I've packed some baby food and will maybe take some bread. But what abotu veggies, fruits, cheese and milk? I dont want to JUST feed her baby food all week, esp since she really hasnt been eating any recently. I dont want her to eat all the crappy restaurant foods. Even restaurant food that appears to be good for you, isnt (it all depends on the way you cook it) and I know I am being ridiculous and yes i know its only a week, but please any suggestions would be really helpful. Is there cheese that I could pack that doesnt need to be refridgerated. Oh, and yes I found some yogurt that doesnt need to be refridgerated too. Thanks in advances. We leave in a week!
May 10th, 2010, 09:35 AM

I haven't been to Ireland yet, but I'm positive they have fruits, veggies, cheese and milk in Ireland. If you don't want your baby to eat crappy restaurant foods, don't eat in crappy restaurants. Shop for fresh foods and enjoy them with the baby.

Think about this, what does cheese and yogurt that doesn't need refridgeration have in it? Yuk! She'd be better off with "crappy" restaurant food. Go to the store in Ireland.
May 10th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Apologies if I sounded a little rough there. Of course your concerned about your baby. But I think you'll find healthy food in Ireland without a doubt. Are you staying at a guesthouse?
I like going to grocery stores in other countries.
May 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM

I would agree with the other posters that every time I've visited a European country (and I'll admit I haven't visited Ireland, but a dozen other EU countries) it's very easy to find good produce and not crappy food, especially if you find a market. In Ireland there are so many farms that it shouldn't be an issue to find good food.

That said, if you have a Trader Joes nearby they have loads of organic options including fruit bars and crackers. I like to travel with Dole fruit cups which aren't necessarily organic but they're healthier than fries at a restaurant. If you're really concerned about milk, you can travel with Pediasure which we have to do for our skinny kids anyway.
May 10th, 2010, 05:03 PM

We took our son to Europe for the first time at one year. We've been taking them ever since and they are now 12, 14 and 16. We packed a small box of baby food and checked it separately, thinking that this would be the easier and healthier way to go. We ended up leaving most of it behind. It was not worth the effort of taking it with us, but it was good to have a little bit on the plane.

Ireland is easy and has some of the best dairy products available! Babe will not starve and will get along just fine with the fruits and veggies available there. We have always let our children drink milk in Europe also without incident.

Stop at a market area and grab some bread, veggies and cheese as soon as you get there. I take a couple of extra large zip lock bags to contain everything.

Relax, Mom... He/she will not starve and it really is just a week!
May 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Laughing Cow cheese doesn't need to be refrigerated and is individually wrapped (but that's because it's quite 'processed'.

I certainly would not take bread! Rather go to a grocery store or find farmers' markets once you arrive. Perhaps pack a hot pot & a food grinder? Seems like it would be easier to take a little equipment to fix fresh food there, rather than actually attempt to take fresh food from home.
May 11th, 2010, 06:43 AM

Does CA mean California? If so, given how factory farming has taken over the US, and the refusal of the regulatory agencies to allow proper labeling, along with the use of bovine growth hormone, antibiotics and GM seeds, I find it amazing that a US traveler is worrying about the quality of food in Ireland. Especially about the cheese and milk!!
May 11th, 2010, 08:54 AM

CA does mean California and yes what you say is true, but still thursdaysd we have organic food here.
May 11th, 2010, 09:11 AM

You also need to check customs regulation for US to Ireland. Many places don't allow importing fresh fruits & vegetables.
May 11th, 2010, 01:01 PM

"but still thursdaysd we have organic food here." - and you think they don't in Europe? Plus bovine growth hormone and most antibiotics are banned for use in cattle in Europe, meaning I don't have to worry about whether their cheese and milk are organic or not when I'm there. (I have an allergy to BGH.)
May 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM

My friends in Switzerland laugh at the American use of the term "organic". They buy their cheese, eggs, milk, etc. at the farmers market weekly. There are photos of the farms where these things are produced in the surrounding countryside. Things are just naturally natural.

To take US cheese or yogurt that doesn't need to be refrigerated (which obviously must have artificial preservatives of some sort) seems misguided.

I also do not believe that every single restaurant in all of Ireland serves "crappy" food.
May 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM

You are going to Ireland--not some remote 3rd world country.

Everything you could possibly bring w/ you -- they either have it in Ireland or they have a better version.

You aren't the only person who feeds their child 'good' food. Irish mums do too.
May 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM

thursdaysd, I wasn't arguing with you. I'm not the OP, she hasn't returned to the thread.
May 12th, 2010, 06:30 AM

Sorry, LSky - I thought that was the OP.
May 12th, 2010, 06:35 AM

No prob, I think we scared her gotta be tough around here
May 12th, 2010, 07:01 AM

Lol! True - and turns out this was her first post.
May 12th, 2010, 07:16 AM

I think there's some great input here, if the OP doesn't come back, perhaps valuable for people getting ready to travel with a baby and similar questions in the future.
May 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM

See also: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...into-spain.cfm - forget most milk and cheese for the EU.
Aug 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM

I don't know if you went on your trip yet or not, but I am originally from Washington, DC and have been living in Ireland for most of the past 13 years.

I can tell you first hand that organic veg & dairy products are not only readily available in all supermarkets but they are comparitively dirt cheap compared to American organic prices.

Ireland is well known for its farming and dairy. Not only would you be fullish to bring with you more than what you need on the flight, but you would be better off to bring items back with you, if possible, as the Irish breads, veg & dairy are of a higher quality.

I thought I would miss Whole Foods, but with the amount of organics available at the supermarket and farmer's markets nearly in every town each week, I don't miss much from Whole Foods.

Happy travels to you.