Next Trip? Need advice, help, and suggestions! =-)

Old Nov 13th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next Trip? Need advice, help, and suggestions! =-)

Howdy Folks,
Here's my "problem". I REALLY want to go to Istanbul, but I'm gun shy (sorry) because of the current climate in that area. If I don't go there, here's what else is on this American's list: Scotland, somewhere in Italy with A LOT of history but lack of annoying tourists, Moscow (same concerns as Istanbul (?), and...well...where else?
I'm a HISTORY GEEK!! I find and go to museums that NO ONE else goes to, and I LOVE them.!
Time frame: Either this summer or a week (8 days in Oct)

1) how safe is Istanbul (and the area) now?
2) great places in Italy w/o "ugly American tourists"?
2B) Can I do Rome w/o being annoyed by the tourists?
3) Moscow? Yea, nay, or other?
4) Other?

Thanks all! I appreciate any advice to point me on my next trip!
-Greasefire
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will get a lot more answers if you post this on the Europe board. Personally, I would have no concerns about visiting Istanbul or Moscow.

If you chose to travel in the summer you have to accept that that is when most other people travel. It will also be very hot in southern Europe.
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 04:13 AM

1) There is an extensive post by a native in the Europe forum that is worth checking out. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-this-time.cfm

2) The country.

2B) Probably not. But if you want to see Rome, you'll have to grin and bear it.

3) Yes. Lots of history and museums there, including a museum dedicated to the T-34 tank.

4) If you want to avoid the "ugly American tourists" (and frankly, who doesn't?) avoid travel during the Summer and Christmas and go somewhere "off the beaten path" (WRT the tourist types you want to avoid) like Volgograd, Minsk, Kiev, Odessa, Sofia, Gdansk, Warsaw, Vilnius, Tunis, Andorra, Malta, Belgrade, etc. All of those places are steeped in history.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 08:15 AM

HI,

New to this site but everything I've heard says this is better the AARP etc. Understand your concerns as I have friends at Whistler from Croatia, Hungary, "eastern block" etc. Would only go there on my own if was connecting w/friends already there. Language is still a problem...read my post today on Senior Single Citizen travel. I would like to head for Russian esp St Petersburg in Sept but hear would be better doing a tour. After, continue thru Germany where I have friends, Paris down thru castles & wine country & then Italy where the tourist & heat have dissipated by mid Oct. Then home to WHISTLER. Also have friends that clued me into the "deadhead" cruises to Europe in April & back in Sept or Oct for about $400 each way. Although get bored on a boat for more then an afternoon, supposed the gym & pool could keep me busy enough for a few days!
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"New to this site but everything I've heard says this is better the AARP etc."

Think you must have a typo, perhaps you'd like to repost with something that makes sense?

"Croatia, Hungary, "eastern block" etc. Would only go there on my own if was connecting w/friends already there"

Nonsense. Hungary and Croatia are perfectly safe places to travel solo, so are the rest of the Balkans, and Ukraine, and the Baltics. Have no idea what you're worried about.

I traveled in Russia solo some years ago, and would do it again, but with some support from a travel or tour company for visas and train tickets.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 10:00 PM

I am also a history nut. I'm not incredibly well travelled but I've been to Italy a lot, esp. Rome. My suggestion is Rome, Rome, Rome! There is so much there - the proverb is "a lifetime is not enough" to see it all - and the museums are priceless. Some highlights:
* Capitoline Museums, esp the sculpture one. Tons of emperors sculpted from life, warts and all. And the other pieces are amazing.
* Borghese Gallery - both ancient and Baroque, an incredible collection. The Borgheses were patrons of Bernini and (I think) Caravaggio and there are plenty of masterpieces from both.
* Villa Giulia, the Etruscan Museum. It is an eye-opener.
* Churches by Borromini etc etc. Including a little place called St. Peter's. Which has a collection of a few trinkets called the Vatican Museum. My god.
* San Clemente, for example. The modern church is from the 12th century (!). You go downstairs and are in a 6th century church. You go down MORE stairs and are on an ancient Roman site, including a Mithraic temple.
* And then you have Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, etc. etc. For a history buff it is seventh heaven, believe me.
* Piazza Popolo at the top of the Corso has the church with more Caravaggios.

It is perfectly safe. There is crime against property (purse snatching, pickpocketing) but not violence against persons. And you will find the tourists to be annoying mostly in the very top-tier destinations (Sistine Chapel, Trevi Fountain etc.) And just walking around the city itself (esp. in the center) is the biggest show of all - it is staggering, esp. if you do some research beforehand. The greatest city for walking I've ever been, at any rate.

Hints: skip the Coloseum and the Forum, unless they are meaningful to you for some reason. Not intrinsically wonderful from my perspective.

I suggest finding a hotel in the center if at all possible, so you can walk everywhere. Buses are not that helpful, and the metro is almost useless. Except to get to the Vatican/St. Peter's I guess...

Other, less famous places, in Italy that I consider must-see destinations are Naples (for the Archeological Museum), Perugia, Verona, and Ravenna.

PS - I also want to see Istanbul, aka Constantinople, some time.