Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Finding Best Seats in a plane (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/finding-best-seats-in-a-plane-806337/)

GrannyMom Sep 16th, 2009 08:59 AM

Finding Best Seats in a plane

How do I research the best seats on a plane and how do I get to choose the one I want? What are the tricks?
Also, how does one use miles to upgrade to Business Class. I am flying on Luftanza to France. Luftanza has a relationship with UsAirs Frequent Flyer program, but I don't know how to go about getting the upgrade. Please advise.

suze Sep 16th, 2009 11:53 AM

You might want to post this over on the "Airlines" forum as well?

For most flights you are able to choose your seats at the same time you are making your reservation online at the airlines' website, on a map that shows the plane and which seats are still available. For me personally, as long as I have an aisle seat I don't care about anything else.

abram Sep 16th, 2009 02:11 PM

www.seatguru.com rates the seats on different planes.

dfr4848 Sep 17th, 2009 08:10 AM

First, do what abram says to get some comments, then do what suze says so you'll have an idea when you book (although many European carriers don't let you select specific seats until you checkin, usually 24 hrs in advance).

You can also go on Lufthansa's (it's with an "s" not a "z") web site and pull up seat maps of different planes once you know which one serves the route you're taking.

I'm not 100% certain, but pretty sure Lufthansa won't let you use code share partners (like US) miles to upgrade; they have to be Lufthansa miles. Their web site should tell you.

BTW , we've had some very good experiences on Lufthansa on our last 4 trips to Europe (with a total of 14 flights).

ShelliDawn Sep 17th, 2009 11:21 AM

What defines "best seat" varies from person to person.

I like to be as close to the front of the plane as possible as I don't travel well and the farther back you are, the more turbulence is amplified. If you can get a seat ahead of the wings, they're generally quieter (engine noise) than those behind. I also like an aisle seat so I can get up without having to wait for someone else to get up first.

However, I know someone who defines the "best seat" as a window seat in the very last row. She wants to see out and enjoys the amplified motion at the back.

soccr Sep 25th, 2009 05:04 AM

I rely on seatguru.... excellent info, updated by travellers themselves.

MissGreen Oct 3rd, 2009 08:34 PM

Exactly Shelli Dawn! I had a seat in the bulkhead with nothing in front of me. Yes, I had more leg room - which some people are crying out for - but it was a pain that I had to store everything overhead and I could not put anything in the seat pocket in front.

You know what I hate about airline websites that discuss seating? They always show really thin people sitting in the seats so the seat looks HUGE! They should try putting regular people in the seats and to give us all an idea of what things are really like when squished on a 12 hour long haul flight!

suze Oct 4th, 2009 09:04 AM

Some routes/carriers you can go online as your trip date approaches and check the seating charts, and change your seats if better ones come available.

catsailor Oct 10th, 2009 04:49 PM

As soccr mentioned to find the best seat look at each airlines aircraft on www.seatguru.com.

Have you already booked your ticket - sounds like it? If so it may be difficult to upgrade to business with points if you didn't purchase an upgradeable ticket.

The trick to upgrading with points is to be flexible and book as far in advance as possible.