Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Favourite paper travel guides? Lonely Planet? Fodor's?

Mar 8th, 2019, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Just looking for input on which paper based travel guides the people here like. I am only familiar with Lonely Planet and Fodor's but have never actually purchased them.

Mar 9th, 2019, 08:04 AM

I don’t use paper guides much—so much of my information comes from the web.

but the ones that I do occasionally get a lot of use out of are niche publications. For example, the local bookstore had a Tokyo guide published by a tourist group in Tokyo, and it had a lot of good, more local recommendations in it. And I buy bike/hike guides fairly often. Just depends on what you need the guidebook for. I don’t think any company does universally good guides—they vary, quality wise, depending on what region you’re looking at. I’m assuming you’re wanting to buy one for a specific trip, otherwise why ask? If that’s the case, you should go to the regional forum and ask there; not much traffic here.
Mar 9th, 2019, 08:23 AM
kja

I'm a great fan of paper guidebooks! As a rule (it does vary with location), my favorites are the Rough Guide and the Michelin Green Guide. The Rough Guide is very similar to the Lonely Planet; I happen to prefer the maps in the RG. For some locations, the Moon Guide is superb.
Mar 9th, 2019, 08:25 AM

Pre-travel, DH and I bought the Eyewitness books. Then we got as many others from the library as we could for comparison. Rick Steves' were very helpful with DIY hints.

It wasn't until internet ticket-buying became widespread that we relied more with online resources. We still bought Eyewitness but used it for backup info. It saves so much time to have your tickets in your hand and to bypass long lines.
Mar 9th, 2019, 09:29 PM

DK eyewitness pocket guides. Small enough to just toss into your luggage or even put in a coat pocket. Being pocket guides they aren't exactly in depth but are useful to actually travel with.

For research more the web
Mar 10th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by marvelousmouse View Post
I don’t use paper guides much—so much of my information comes from the web.
I am with “mouse.”

Printed guidebooks declined dramatically several years ago as the internet came into widespread use, but the decline has now leveled off as travel has been soaring. Part of that may be that the baby boomers who make up a significant part of travel might still be more comfortable with printed guidebooks. All of our four children and their friends travel a lot. One is a librarian. None, including the librarian, use guidebooks. Some say they don’t know what to ask google, but they do. Fodors is even now owned by a company called "Internet Brands". The guidebook companies face the same struggle as newspapers, how to compete with shrinking readership, while coming up with an internet presence that most users want for free. The future will be the interactive online guidebook that will create personalized itineraries.

Travel is getting a lot easier with the web. We used to type an itinerary for an upcoming trip and circulate to family. Now we use an app called Tripit that magically grabs our email trip confirmations and creates an itinerary for us.
Mar 10th, 2019, 08:46 AM

Rough Guide - hands down. I like DK Eyewitness for the pictures, but Rough Guides have the background
Mar 10th, 2019, 09:36 AM

I use a variety of guides. Our local library has a huge selection. I find Rick Steve's guides work well for us as his accommodations sections have good choices from low to high prices and various types of accommodations. I haven't bought the Eye Witness in years, but I like the visual aspect of their books.
Mar 10th, 2019, 01:22 PM

Fodors, DK Eyewitness Guides, Rick Steves( for walking tours), and Cadogan. Cadogan covers places in depth that other guides omit so keep in mind. I do not like Lonely Planet at all.
For city visits, Amsterdam, Berlin, etc, I buy DK Top 10, small,fit in my purse, include good city and transit maps.
Mar 11th, 2019, 01:49 PM

Depends where you are going. And what is your travel style. One size does not fit all.

I like the small Let's Go guides for a specific city (like Amsterdam).

Moon Publications is very good for Mexico and Central America.

I've never purchased a Fodor's but I own quite a few of them from back when we got them for free for our posts being used in them.

Rick Steves is good for a Europe 101 for newbies.

...and so on.
Mar 12th, 2019, 10:46 PM

lonely Planet are popular in Australia -probably because they were Australian. Libraries and book shops always stock the full range. I used to buy them but now I borrow from the library. occasionally buy DK. Fodors and Frommers are seen to be very American and not found much.
I don't know Rick Steves at all although he seems popular in US.
Mar 13th, 2019, 10:11 AM

Rick Steves is not my personal style but I think he's a good one for newbies and specific to Europe only (he lives here in the Seattle area so I am familiar with him). I think his TV programs are also good for "beginners" to get ideas about what they might like to see and do.

If I needed guidebooks myself (Hawaii the first trip was a real challenge) I just go online to the library and take out all of them available for my destination. If I wanted one to travel with that's when I might buy a small (in size) city specific one to take along.
Mar 13th, 2019, 07:31 PM

We usually start with DK Eyewitness guides, the work out the details online.