Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Electronic Book "readers" eg, Kindle Sony & Nook (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/electronic-book-readers-eg-kindle-sony-and-nook-812968/)

jules39 Nov 3rd, 2009 10:42 AM

Electronic Book "readers" eg, Kindle Sony & Nook

Do any of you use these electronic readers when you travel? Any opinions on better or worse or if they are worth the hassle of carrying yet another electronic gaget when you travel??? I do not carry a lap top when travelling. I know the Nook isn't out yet so don't expect any reviews of this! Thanks in advance! J

HappyTrvlr Nov 3rd, 2009 12:42 PM

We love our SONY Reader and always take it loaded with new books on our trips. It is so easy to use and I feel like I'm reading a real book. We used to take lots of books along( we usually go abroad for 4-5 weeks at a time) and they took up so much space.I always left them behind when finsihed which was to do the room the books took up. We carry-on at all times, so the SONY Reader has been a real asset.

travel101 Nov 4th, 2009 06:14 PM

some days for travel, we will the same you
thank you

anyegr Nov 6th, 2009 11:43 AM

I currently use a Palm Vx handheld computer for reading. It's small, light and easy to use. I really like it. I can put lots of books on it. It's not a pure ebookreader, so I can use it as a calendar, a calculator and addressbook, too, if I want. I have previously used a Palm m100, a Palm V, a Compaq Aero 1500 and a Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC H3660.

Some things to think of before buying an ebookreader:

1. Try it out in a store (or ask a friend who already owns one) to find out if you are able to read the small text. Yes, you can make the text size bigger, but then you only get a few lines on each page.

2. Decide if you want a pure ebookreader, like the Kindle, or a handheld computer, like the Palm, that can be used for other things.

3. Find out battery lifetime and how the battery is to be recharged. Sometimes the recharge unit weighs more than the reader. Some ebookreaders actually need to be connected to a computer for re-charging, which gets a bit difficult when you are on a long trip. Some old ebookreaders, like the Palm m100, have normal AAA batteries instead.

4. Find out if the ebookreader is locked to a specific book format (I think Kindle is) or if you can put any thirdparty reader program on it. There are lots of different formats and reader programs.

5. Find out how much memory size it has. Some older ebookreaders (like Palm m100 and Palm Vx) do not have any slots for memory cards. Some readers have slots for older cards and can't handle the newer cards. If you need to have your entire ebook library of a few GB on the reader, you need a newer reader.

6. Find out how to get the books onto the reader. A Palm Vx needs to be connected to a computer. The Kindle is supposed to have some sort of download wifi thing.

7. Try not to drop the thing on the floor too often. Sometimes it survives, sometimes it does not.

8. Ebookreaders also do not like being wet. A few raindrops are okay. Actually drop it in the water and it's dead.

djkbooks Nov 9th, 2009 08:46 PM

I, too, download all the essentials to my Palm (Centro) Smartphone. Incredibly useful programs/documents include a translator, food glossary, phrases, confirmation e-mails, encryption program for all your credit card, etc., information, a "balance" program for your bank account and credit cards (also useful for a customs list), currency converter, maps, lists, notes, metro/bus system, and on and on.

I don't use it for books. How many books do you need on vacation? An airline attendant told me electronic readers are left behind all the time in seat pockets (and having left a book or two myself...). Paperbacks (and magazines and newspapers) are cheaper and you can leave them behind or give them away once you're read them.

I, personally, don't think it's worth having yet another electronic device to haul around, charge, worry about...

cristeen Nov 12th, 2009 11:14 AM

We received a Kindle as a gift almost a year ago. I immediately loved it. Dh was skeptical and didn't even try it for several months. Now, he is hooked as well. We are both avid readers. I have taken it on a couple of trips so far and plan to take it with us to Paris next month. Only boooks from Amazon may be downloaded. It does have a wireless connection that sends books and samples that I choose from the Amazon store either via their website or directly from my Kindle. Most books have been around $9.99, though I have purchased several much less expensive. Some as low as $2. Magazines and Newspapers are also availble, but I do not read most of them. Most books are also available as samples. They send a few chapters for free then there is the option to delete or purchase later. It is very light weight and easy to use. It has text to voice, various text sizes, a built in dictionary, note taking capabilities and more. We really love it and use it all the time.

kathcoll Nov 15th, 2009 05:07 AM

I had preordered a nook because the technology and size looked great, but after searching for travel guides to download and unable to find any, I cancelled and think I'm getting a Kindle2.

I would have preferred a non-propietory format, but one of my reasons for purchase is to have my travel guides with me without lugging books or photocopies. Amazon has a series of Wikipedia city guides and several other travel books available.

kathcoll Nov 15th, 2009 05:16 AM

RE: anyegr answer has lots of good points, but re:powersupply - you can buy a small convertor to recharge with a regular outlet. Any electronics that can be recharged via usb port can be recharged directly. I got mine with my ipod.

cristeen Nov 15th, 2009 05:33 AM

I just loaded a couple of samples of Kindle's Widipedia city guides. I am hoping they are of use when we travel next month. They are inexpensive especially compared to buying the hardcopies of largere travel guides. Not to mention carrying all in 1 compact form. We'll see how easy travel guides are to use compared to the paper version. Novels and other reading materials are very easy to use. I'm not sure about using maps and such from the Kindle travel guide, but I'm going to give ours a try.
Good luck with yours kathcoll.

Iowa_Redhead Nov 15th, 2009 01:00 PM

There's a much longer discussion on this that Jules started in the Lounge.

I've had the Sony reader for two years and can't imagine going back to just paper books. I read a ton so holding 200 books in my purse is a great thing. I ordered the wall charger for it so I have a charger similar to one for a cell phone and that's it.

cristeen Nov 15th, 2009 02:58 PM

Iowa_Redhead--Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen it. I will jump over there and read, too.
Glad you like your reader. I love my Kindle.

suze Nov 19th, 2009 02:55 PM

The guy next to me on the plane the other day had a regular Kindle. It looked great. I would not bother with an electronic device though, unless it was a trip of significant duration.

jules39 Nov 19th, 2009 04:40 PM

Thanks everyone. Great info. Just need to decide if I really want one at this point or not!! J

fudgemum Nov 25th, 2009 11:36 AM

I own a kindle and it is wonderful to travel with. Very light weight and you can download a book from Amazon in as little as a few minutes. It is wireless. I have ordered a book while waiting for a flight. My battery lasts almost a week, if you turn off the wireless switch. I only turn mine on when I am downloading.