Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Dual National passport switch (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/dual-national-passport-switch-910292/)

FlyByNight Oct 25th, 2011 11:29 AM

Dual National passport switch

I have dual citizenship . American and German.

Please help for I need advice on what to do regarding switching 1 passport (American) to my 2nd passport ( German).

I am currently in Thailand on my 1st passport (American) and have received a job offer that requires me to be native German speaker. This is the reason I need to be in Thailand on my German passport. They will not issue me a work permit if I am here on my American passport.

I have never used my German passport. I have never exited Germany on my German passport. And I have never entered another country on my German passport. I have nothing but clear pages inside my passport. My entry stamp into Thailand is in my American passport.

What can I do to get a entry stamp from Thailand on to my German passport ? I know I can fly back to Germany and then return to Thailand, but this is what I am trying to avoid for the ticket for me is too expensive. I would like to save some money if possible. Can I switch passport during flight to a closer destination say Malaysia or Hong Kong.

Will there be a problem if I use my German passport upon arrival to say Malaysia or Hong Kong? Will Malaysia or Hong Kong give me a entry stamp on my German passport if I leave Thailand on my American passport.
I have heard many stories of this being successful but how is this done . Can it be done , and is it legal?

Purchasing a ticket to one of these two destinations is significantly cheaper and a lot less time consuming than having to fly back to Germany and pay the high price for the airfare.

Does anyone know what would be the best way to go about this ?

joannay Oct 25th, 2011 12:03 PM

Just leave Thailand and go to the most convenient nearby country. As you leave Thailand get an exit stamp in your American passport. After that just switch to your German passport for all entries and exits. If it's legal for you to have 2 passports then you have proof in your American passport of your movements if anyone asks, which most likely they won't.

thursdaysd Oct 25th, 2011 01:06 PM

I have dual UK and US passports and routinely switch when visiting Europe - I leave the US on my US passport and enter Europe on my UK one. As joannay says, just make a border run, maybe to Laos. I have a vague memory of reading that dual passports are illegal in Malaysia, so maybe not there.

FlyByNight Oct 26th, 2011 08:16 AM

That sounds like a great idea, but will they not question my German passport? There is no movement shown whats so ever. Not even a exit stamp out Germany. Do you think it is still possible ?

thursdaysd Oct 26th, 2011 08:28 AM

You don't get exit (or entry) stamps from EU countries in EU passports these days. And if they do question it, which I think unlikely, just explain that you have two passports. If they insist on your using the other one you won't be any worse off than you are now. Relax!

lavandula Oct 31st, 2011 01:41 PM

Why can you not be a native speaker of German on an American passport? Being a German national is one thing, being a native speaker of German is quite another.

Lavandula

lincasanova Nov 2nd, 2011 02:44 PM

I agree with lavandula.. unless you meant to say "native German" as there may be some type of joint venture or grant only open to German citizens.