Do You Budget Your Meals in Advance?

Old May 27th, 2019, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I were discussing our travel habits and confess we’re not the best in budgeting for meals while traveling. I plan hotels; transportation (airfare etc.), but meals not so much.

For those of you who do - ideas on how you go about it please.
Old May 27th, 2019, 11:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I never budget for meals -- I eat cheap sometimes, and splurge sometimes and do a lot of both on most trips. But food isn't something I 'budget' for.

The only meals I 'plan' ahead before going on a trip is when I want to dine a a special place that requires booking far in advance.
Old May 27th, 2019, 12:01 PM

Well, I am one of the world's great "foodies" so I never give meal costs a second thought when traveling or even when not traveling for that matter. I try (and am almost always successful) to scope out restaurants with the best food regardless of price. Like janise, sometimes I eat at casual places, other times I dine more upscale and still other times I eat at Michelin Star restaurants. It all depends on my mood at the time. I have no idea, nor do I care, how much I spend for meals when I travel.
Old May 27th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

O.K. now I’m feeling better. If it’s a special spot we don’t think of cost. We do try the mix and match method as one way to manage.

I think the most expensive restaurant we’ve eaten at was the French Laundry for our 10th anniversary. We stayed at Auberge du Soleil which is where we got married and the concierge managed to get us dinner reservations.

Maybe I’m just thinking I should have a better method. I’ve been trying a new app and that’s what got me started.

Old May 27th, 2019, 03:31 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope. We're pretty casual, value for money types. Never stepped foot inside a Michelin Star restaurant. Splash out meals just aren't our thing, so no need to budget for them.
Old May 27th, 2019, 03:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I eat street fare AND Michelin stars -- still don't 'budget' for it.
Old May 27th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Yes, I meant budget in advance.

I’ll continue to use the app for work because I am given a per diem and I have found it handy for tracking then based on that budget. I’ve also used it to track how much a trip is costing during the travel so like that too. I’ll do some more pondering on the plan in advance part for vacation.

Old May 28th, 2019, 03:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Not really, we rent apartments often so have breakfast in and sometimes dinner if it has been a long day of touring. I got addicted to high-end gin the last trip and my drinks were costing almost 10 euro. We were eating 10 dollar pizzas at O'Connell's beer garden in Galway, The Dough brothers made wood fire pizzas and drinking ten dollar g&ts. I loved it and the atmosphere was great. We do early birds or fix prices meals often in Paris. We try and pick a nice place to eat in each city. We also love big lunches and lighter dinners.
Old May 28th, 2019, 04:07 AM

No. We typically plan for one "big" dinner depending on the nature and place of the trip and otherwise wing it. I think being a couple, rather than a family, and neither of us being picky eaters or on special diets helps with that. We also like discovering places once we get there.
Old May 28th, 2019, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We don't budget for meal. We often plan in advance to eat at certain restaurants, but we don't budget for it.
Old May 28th, 2019, 12:31 PM

Nope, depending on our destination, do lots of research on popular/new/touted spots from articles, guidebooks, across the spectrum from very casual to very fancy, see if they fit into our mode, and map them out. I know for Paris, I have a long list by arrondissment and metro stop with name/address that has been curated (there's that word again!) for our consideration. The fanciest in Paris was lunch at the Grand Vefour some years back which was so memorable and perfect that I wrote many pages in my journal about it! Another favorite bistro is Guy Savoy's Les Bouquinistes along left bank. But then there was a little out of way "dive" sort of place in Rome where we were the only tourists among the locals who all stared at us -- gotta love it! We like to mix it up.
Old May 28th, 2019, 09:23 PM

Lol, this is an interesting question!

One time I forgot to budget for meals for a 2-week trip to Switzerland -- I ate a LOT of meals in grocery stores that trip!

Normally I budget $50 per day for my meals, but I've upped that to $75 so that I won't miss you on an especially good meal.

s
Old May 30th, 2019, 03:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No I don't budget for meals. But I like to eat casual, on the go, street foods, sidewalk cafes, bakeries, grocery stores... not in higher end places. So it isn't really an issue.
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 02:44 PM

I'm not sure that "budget for" is exactly what we do, but I think my way of doing it falls more into the Yes category than the NO.

We don't drink alcohol so that saves a ton, and we will definitely eat outside my general budget rules, but we try to spend no more than 100 USD for dinner for two. This generally excludes Michelin stars or high end dining, but that's OK because we like big flavors more than we like fine dining.

If I'm researching restaurants, this is the money category I like to make my lists from. This all applies to travel only. We mostly eat at home when at home, but it's because we're saving for travel.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 03:01 AM

We don't have a budget for meals, much like the other posters, I'll plan and book a couple of high end restaurants, the rest of the time we will decide where to eat while we are there. It can be casual, cheap places or mid range, a mix of all price ranges. It's more a case of do we feel like spending $$$$ on a meal rather than can we afford to or have we budgeted for it.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 12:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Never have budgeted for restaurants. We mix it up by preference, a high end spot followed by a simple ma and pa place. We just did a lot of that in Japan. From $10 Ramen to very pricey kaiseki meals.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 10:32 PM

Not really. I may have money set aside for eating out, but I don't strictly follow that budget.
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 09:41 AM

We're pretty big on destination restaurants (i.e., michelin starred places) so we set aside budget for that. And to make up for it we try to eat frugally for our other meals. Depending on where you're traveling, you can usually eat quite well by hitting up street food places and the local grocery stores.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 11:33 PM

I make budget planning. For each country I go through, I find the average hostel cost per night, then multiply that by the approximate number of nights I'll be in the country.

Same for food. I look around for how much other backpackers were spending per day on food, then add a little because calories are the only thing keeping this beer belly intact.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 11:49 PM

I like to book an airbnb apartment with a kitchen instead of a hotel, so I can cook breakfasts (and sometimes dinners) using local ingredients bought in grocery store (and this way save some money and try more local food).
With saved money I recommend searching on google maps for 4.5+ stars restaurant with a price tag of $ or $$. And look at the photos, so you know if you would like to eat their menu or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -