Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Destination suggestions wanted (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/destination-suggestions-wanted-1694023/)

ImagineNoHell Nov 24th, 2020 08:01 PM

Destination suggestions wanted

Hopefully this is the right forum to ask this question.
I'm a schoolteacher in New York. Our schools are now closed, my guess through spring break at least, which this year ends in early April. So I'm considering a two-month trip to Latin America, give or take, while remote teaching. The benefits compared to places I'd prefer at this time, like the Far East or Europe, are the small time zone differences which would allow me to finish work around 1 pm at the latest. Also, I've been wanting to go and had bought a ticket for Costa Rica last April and had planned for three weeks in Peru in the summer. (And the more I read about Peru the more I want to see, but outside Lima & Cuzco Internet would likely become a problem.)
I'll need fast & reliable Internet connection for videoconferencing during school hours, and cheap lodging with private room. My plan would be to stay in a place for a week at a time, teaching M-F and relaxing and doing some fun stuff and a little socializing in the afternoons and evenings, then taking weekend trips for sightseeing etc. For instance, I've been looking into Costa Rica where I find weeklong rentals for about $30/night. Ideally I could cut that down in half but that would probably require staying in one place for a month or so. There may be places where there would be enough things to see and do, but probably not in places like Monteverde and Arenal.
I've been following health experts on Covid, but I got into a clinical trial. Let's just say I'm only going if I know I've got the vaccine. Even then, I don't want to take too much risk for myself or others.
Is Costa Rica a good choice, or would you do something else? A lot of sites recommend Medellin for digital nomads, for instance, but I don't consider myself street-savvy enough for that. I've traveled solo and has been studying Spanish with app, so I'm at B1 conversational level.

schmerl Nov 25th, 2020 04:56 AM

You never know what Covid restriction those countries might enforce. For instance Costa Rica was closed down for quite a while when the pandemic started and people were "stuck" there.
I wouldn't go anywhere until things calm down with the virus.

ImagineNoHell Nov 25th, 2020 05:47 AM

During the lockdown were there flights out? How about land borders (e.g. buses) into Panama or Nicaragua?

baldone Nov 25th, 2020 10:08 AM

You could easily craft a 2 month trip just in México, where there are no entry restrictions. The public transportation is probably among the best in Latin America, food is cheaper and better than in Costa Rica for sure. Internet is generally quite good, with TELMEX and other companies placing fiber networks throughout the country. We pay $30 US here for 150 Meg. A quick glance on Air bnb's Mexico page shows 2 entire apartments, 1 in Mexico City for $20 US/night, and 1 in Playa Del Carmen for $21 US/night for example. An abundance of archeological sites, though perhaps not quite as impressive as those in Perú. But quantity might make up for quality.