Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Destination for weekend of nightlife/ beach October time (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/destination-for-weekend-of-nightlife-beach-october-time-992100/)

JamesEllis Sep 16th, 2013 09:16 PM

Destination for weekend of nightlife/ beach October time

Hi, I'm 27 and a couple of years ago, me and 2 friends decided one Monday morning that we fancied having a couple of nights out somewhere different. On the Thursday evening we had a night out in our home town where only 2 of us drank and then about 2am on the Friday, left and drove to Luton airport for a flight to Krakow Poland, where we had the Friday night out, the Saturday night out, and then caught a plane back midday sunday ready for work Monday.

We have been thinking of doing this again in terms of days we travel etc but fancy somewhere warmer, so we can lay on the beach or have a look round the town in more comfort with a hangover than the -10c we had in Poland in November. I have been to Sunny Beach in Bulgaria
which would be our ideal destination except for the transfer time from the airport to the hotel, so basically we are hoping somebody could come up with a destination that ticks the following boxes:

1) Flight time from UK of less than 4 hours

2) English spoken to a point

3) Airport within 15 miles ish, of the hotel, as we're on a budget taxi wise

4) Ideally a beach resort that sees its prices drop in September, but still has bars open.

5) Something to do during the day, even if like Sunny Beach Bulgaria, it is just a large market of fake clothes and perfume and a beach

We have looked at Spain and Greece
 etc, both which would suit us but we're yet to find a place or specific island that has the airport near enough. I have been to Zante quite a few years ago and again, that sort of place would be spot on if we could just get from the airport to the hotel cheap and quick.

Thanks a lot in advance, James

sparkchaser Sep 17th, 2013 01:12 AM

Mallorca
Canary Islands
Barcelona
Gibraltar
Malaga
Tunisia
Istanbul
Corfu
Malta
Cyprus
Split

thursdaysd Sep 17th, 2013 04:45 AM

Someone thinks Sunny Beach is an ideal destination? I'm not going to suggest anywhere because I don't want to stay in the same place as you. (Krakow was great UNTIL the cheap flights started.) Suggest you go back to Sunny Beach, it's designed for people who want to get drunk and party on the cheap.

sparkchaser Sep 17th, 2013 05:41 AM

I hear ya man.

Croatia was great until the NYT ran an article on it. Now it's become some place that EVERYONE and their grandma Joan must see.

Oh well, at least we have Moldova.

thursdaysd Sep 17th, 2013 06:03 AM

Lol. I have actually been to Moldova. It wasn't that bad. Transnistria, now...

sparkchaser Sep 17th, 2013 06:16 AM

Transnistria is on my list.

doug_stallings Sep 17th, 2013 06:23 AM

In October, I'd go for Turkey over all of these, though it could be a bit more than 4 hours flight, though not that much more. If you really want to lie on the beach, that's your best bet, though I hear a lot of people are opting for Spain and Greece since Egypt is not really an option right now, though it would be stupendously cheap if you were willing to brave the potential problems.

sparkchaser Sep 17th, 2013 07:11 AM

Istanbul is 3:50/4:05 non-stop from London.

PaulFletcher Sep 17th, 2013 12:38 PM

A couple of nights in my bedroom is pretty decent in October... No beach though.