Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Destination for $1000 or less? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/destination-for-1000-or-less-275905/)

ninasdream Jan 13th, 2008 09:16 AM

Destination for $1000 or less?

If you had $1000 or less to spend, where would you go for 5-7 days? I need a break, but I've had a lot of extra expenses this year. I like languages, like to explore, could also jsut lounge though! I went to Mexico City & Patzcuaro in March. Live in NYC area. Any constructive input welcome!

thursdaysd Jan 13th, 2008 01:35 PM

Well, I figure I can do SE Asia in comfort for $50/day, but you've got to get there first!

kit Jan 13th, 2008 04:27 PM

The fares to Europe are so low right now...friends are finding fares in the $500 range. Maybe pick a city you haven't been to yet and just hang out and see the sites for several days...no extreme daytripping or anything -- just what's local.

lycoris Jan 14th, 2008 12:34 AM

I'm actually making similar plans, myself, at the moment. I recently went to London, Amsterdam, and Brussels with friends, and wished I had gone alone; so now I've used up most of both my vacation time and my money, but I'm feeling the wanderlust again . . .

One great, cheap way to get out is always a roadtrip--of course, those are much nicer if you have someone to share the driving and the gas. I've been looking into all-inclusive getaways, and unfortunately those great deals aren't so great when you remember that the prices are based on double occupancy. I did, however, find cheap hostels in and flights to various places in the Caribbean; Kayak.com is an excellent resource (check out the "Buzz" feature, which lets you see top deals others have found recently from your starting city to any other city or to the top 25 destinations in a given region, such as Mexico and Central America). Right now's a good time to go to Europe, too--with those $500 fares, if you're willing to stay in a hostel (which also makes the traveling alone part more fun, if you're young enough) you can definitely get by--even in London--for $100 a day or less, including your accommodation. Of course, for what it's worth, Amsterdam was a MUCH cheaper city than London. Even Brussels was reasonable by comparison.

suze Jan 14th, 2008 06:50 AM

A week in Amsterdam would be fun and easy from NYC.

ninasdream Jan 14th, 2008 03:27 PM

Thanks for the replies! The thing with Europe is that the euro is going to kick my butt! Amsterdam is an idea. THing is if airfare is cheap, it's everything else that adds up. I will check kayak and the other sites.

Lycoris - if you go to Brussels, I highly recommend Bruges. And if you'd like the name of the charming modest hotel in Brussels where I stayed with an abfab included breakfast, let me know.

London is waaaaay too pricey for me, and I have been.

Where in SE ASIA?

thursdaysd Jan 14th, 2008 03:31 PM

"Where in SE Asia" - Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia. Singapore is pricier, Thailand varies. If you want a break, Luang Prabang in Laos would be ideal, but getting there would be a hassle just for one place. You could look at Hanoi, too, lots to do there, but you could just chill out and eat in the old quarter.

suze Jan 14th, 2008 03:50 PM

While SE Asia is cheaper once you get there, I sure wouldn't fly that far myself for only a 5 day trip!

That's the beauty of Amsterdam (from NYC). As long as you can get a cheap airfare, you don't have to spend a lot for 5 days there. Doesn't cost much to just walk around, hit a few museums, have casual meals.

But as I've said on your other posts, if it were me, I'd probably head to Mexico like I usually do and get some sun!

JBHapgood Jan 14th, 2008 06:59 PM

You say you live in the NYC area? How much of NYC have you explored? If you're on a budget, a hometown vacation (especially if your hometown is as exciting and diverse as New York) can be a great way to enjoy travel while avoiding the expense of airlines and the declining dollar.

ninasdream Jan 15th, 2008 03:11 PM

JBHapGood- yes, I've done that 2x in the past 3 years. The trouble with that is you're still home to do or think about the dusting & errands. :)

I'll look into Amsterdam & other destinations, tho.

suze Jan 15th, 2008 03:33 PM

Even though I suggested it, I don't think you can get Amsterdam for that price unless you find a package or special deal.

At a glance, there's a nonstop w/ Delta for $553 round trip. And a hotel such as www.hotelbrouwer.nl has singles for 60 euro, but for even 5 nights that's $444USD so no walking around money left.

thursdaysd Jan 15th, 2008 06:17 PM

If you're OK with a bathroom down the hall instead of en-suite, the Prinsenhof in Amsterdam has good-sized single rooms for 49 euros/night, on a canal and close to a tram stop..

lisa Feb 14th, 2008 09:36 AM

I went to Thailand by myself several years ago and had a fantastic time. I got a package for airfare and six nights at a hotel with airport transfers and some day tours/daytrips included and it was under $1000. It was a solo package, not a group tour. The company I went through was called Pacific Delight but I'm sure there are lots of other similar companies. They also had similar trips to other cities in Asia.

If you are really trying to keep it under $1000 then I would recommend trying to keep it in North America, Latin America, or the Caribbean. I have been on solo trips to Quebec City, Sonoma Valley, Mexico, Grand Canyon -- lots of places. I have been to Europe by myself many times but it is too hard to do for under $1000 these days IMO with the current exchange rate. Eastern Europe is more affordable but it costs more to get there so it's a wash.

Just got back from St. John in the USVI with my husband but would definitely go back on my own someday too -- it was great and there are some very affordable ecolodgings.

ninasdream Feb 14th, 2008 05:48 PM

Thanks so much! Keep the great suggestions coming - I am still considering a destination! I got to Brussels & Brugges but not Amsterdam! Asia may be a longer flight, but I'd love to go.

travisblue Feb 15th, 2008 03:26 PM

The LA Times did an article in Dec. 2007 "Your Money is Good Here" and they listed these places where your 'buck' can go a little bit further:
Cambodia
Albania
Nicaragua
Morocco
vietnam
Bolivia
Here are some of the packages they listed:
Bolivia-gapadventures.com
Cambodia-Cycle Cambodia-intrepidtraveler.com
Morocco-bikers dream-bikehike.com
Nicagragua, volcanoes, lakes etc-mtsobek.com

travisblue Feb 15th, 2008 03:29 PM

sites should be
www.gapadventures.com
www.intrepidtravel.com
www.bikehike.com
www.mtsobek.com

ncounty Mar 5th, 2008 04:35 PM

Buenos Aires if you've got frequent flier miles. Close by, you could drive to Montreal or Quebec City. Or, you could do a cruise and try to find a travel partner to share room cost.