Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Destination between California and New York for Girls Reunion (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/destination-between-california-and-new-york-for-girls-reunion-903965/)

jetlaggednsfo Aug 25th, 2011 05:12 AM

Destination between California and New York for Girls Reunion

Looking for suggestions for a destination to meet for a girls reunion - some of us are on the East coast and some on the West coast. Where would be a great place to meet that would be easy for all (e.g. nonstop flights from both coasts) that would be appropriate for middle-age women (it's been awhile since high school :)). We're looking to spend about 5 days bonding, eating, drinking, interesting activities, etc. Thanks for your input!

suze Aug 25th, 2011 09:29 AM

Mayan Riviera, Mexico

qwovadis Aug 25th, 2011 01:17 PM

visitsedona.com fly into PHX rent a car carrentals.com

maybe El Tovar at the Grand Canyon for a nite or so

qwovadis Aug 25th, 2011 01:19 PM

www.stanleyhotel.com awesome place also midway fly

into DIA rent a car visit rockies lots of action.

Where Jack Nicholson filmed the shining...

Here's Johnny!

qwovadis Aug 25th, 2011 01:23 PM

www.lasvegassightseeing.net would be stating the obvious

but for serious partying and less nature it is the place.

Snag great deals at the Venetian bidding Priceline.com

from $100/nt betterbidding.com or you guys could get

a big suite to save The Palms has a great Vibe

Treasure Island great sales also right now...

tripres.com

jetlaggednsfo Aug 26th, 2011 03:21 AM

Great ideas! I floated the Cancun/Cozumel idea but the Westcoasters felt it was too far for them to go for a long weekend. Rockies sound intriguing (especially the Overlook Hotel...) Any thoughts on New Orleans? Maybe San Antonio? Thanks for the input!

oopsy Aug 26th, 2011 09:39 AM

How about Chicago? Great food, shopping, theater, and museums.

CYESQ Aug 27th, 2011 05:11 AM

I think Chicago is a good idea (unless you're doing this in the winter). You want to look for an airlines hub; otherwise flying into and out of a smaller airport that happens to be in between may cost you all as much as flying to one coast or the other.

CYESQ Aug 27th, 2011 05:12 AM

Dallas?

suze Aug 27th, 2011 06:33 AM

You made me get out my atlas (lol) Yucatan peninsula doesn't seem all that much further to me than New Orleans from the west coast US.

I would more base your choice on what you all want to see and do with your long weekend together. Once you're on a plane 1-2 hour more or less doesn't matter that much.

suze Aug 27th, 2011 06:37 AM

Oops but you are right, it wouldn't be the nonstop flight you request. Sorry. Another time :-)

joannay Aug 27th, 2011 10:28 AM

What time of year? Makes a big difference.

HappyTrvlr Aug 27th, 2011 08:11 PM

#1..Chicago!

dominicinco Aug 28th, 2011 07:43 AM

I would say head to Chicago, it is a very girl friendly town, easy public transportation, lots of museums, restaurants and nightlife...and shopping!! My gf loves this city, she wants to go back a third time in 4 years, thats saying a lot.

joannay Aug 28th, 2011 10:46 AM

I'd still like to know what time of year this party is planned. Don't think I'd care for Chicago in February.

spcfa Aug 30th, 2011 08:23 AM

Chicago - what a great city. Except in February.

Viajero2 Aug 31st, 2011 05:13 AM

No Brainer--- Chicago!

Viajero2 Aug 31st, 2011 05:14 AM

....or take a cruise out of Miami.

jetlaggednsfo Sep 1st, 2011 02:09 PM

Thanks for the input - we probably will travel sometime between May and October. Chicago is midway but not my favorite city (I was based there for 5 years - too many winters and humid summers). A cruise seems like it would fit the bill; any recommendations from your experiences?