Cross-Country trip advice

Sep 25th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Original Poster
Cross-Country trip advice

Hello, I am new to the site. I am a 41-year-old single male from California wanting to go from my home state to Virginia and back (southerly the way there, northerly the way back).

I plan to leave in the beginning of April and be gone about 2 months, staying with family 25-33% of the time in at least 7 different points along the way.

I anticipate driving 5-6 hours per day, and for the most part avoid major interstates. I'd like to see minor league baseball games, small towns, museums, national parks, and so on.

I am hoping for a budget of about $120 a day. My trip is about 8500 miles as is though that doesn't include spontaneous detours.

The mode of travel is undecided. I own a '07 Honda Civic Hybrid, which is very reliable but may be too small for the job. Other considerations include buying a cheap (3K or under) used van from a private seller (e.g., craigslist); leasing a new Honda CR-V or similar (at the approx. cost of $800 for the 2 months; I'd have to stay under 12K miles); renting or buying a car similar to the CR-V; or taking a combination of Amtrak and Greyhound and renting cars at various points.

I am not a camper but am okay with sleeping in a car provided a shower is not difficult to get; I am open to sleeping in the car at truck stops and camping grounds. I am also becoming familiar with couchsurfing and am open to cheap motels, hostels, etc.

This is a longtime dream of mine that more or less began with reading Blue Highways and other road trip books. It will involve putting aside work which I should be able to pick back up on my return, though I am hoping to then transition to a new career. I will be writing a lot on this trip and taking photographs and will make a book out of the experience.

Any tips, advice, etc. is very welcome. The mode of travel is the biggest question mark right now. Keeping to the budget is important.
Sep 25th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Welcome to Fodor's forums. You're doing a great job so far getting this trip planned out!! Sounds like an exciting project. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

You have posted on the "Travel Tips" board here at Fodor's (which doesn't get much traffic).

If you [Change Forum} to "United States" & copy/paste your question again there, many more readers will see it.

best of luck with your drive!! suze
Sep 25th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Original Poster
Alright, did that. Thank you very much!

Search this Thread