Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Credit Card Travel Protection insurance - did anyone used it?

Old Oct 25th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi,
I have Chase MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card which offers Travel Protection, including Trip cancellation. In the past I used to buy travel insurance via Insuremytrip.com. Recently a colleague of mine told me about Travel Protection insurance available via Credit Card.
I was wondering how does it work and if anyone used it. What was your experience? Does it really work or it looks good only on paper. I realize that there are conditions that have to be met. Does it really work as travel insurance?
Hope this is the right forum to post this question.
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 08:24 PM
kja

As a rule, the terms of coverage across different options of travel insurance vary dramatically. Do you want/need trip cancellation insurance, and if so, for what level of coverage and for what reasons? Do you need any kind of health coverage, for treatment while abroad or to bring you back for treatment or (sorry to be indelicate) to bring your remains back? Do you need greater protection for baggage loss or delays than your airline will provide? Etc.

I would suggest that you really need to think about exactly what insurance you need and then determine -- by contacting possible insurers -- whether they provides what you need. insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com can be very valuable resources for researching the issues.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

When I buy a trip I often buy a separate travel insurance to be able to recover a non-refundable payments made to airline, hotels, cruise companies. In case myself or my husband get sick and we can't take a trip or the trip is interrupted. The wording in the Travel Protection section of Credit cards benefits seem to indicate that CC will cover if there is no other insurance. Will it really?

I undestand that it doesn't provide the same coverage as outside insurance, for example it doesn't cover medical expenses or evacuation.

I was thinking of basic coverage for basic purposes in case I need to cancel or interrupt a trip.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 05:22 PM
kja

I strongly urge you to contact your CC to find out what, exactly, it covers and under what conditions. If you've done any research on trip cancellation/interruption insurance, then you know that there are great differences between policies in what is covered at all, at what percentage, and under what conditions.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 04:08 PM

I always use the travel insurance offered with my credit card. Of course like all insurance you need to read what is covered . I had a claim a few years ago as we had to return home due to the imminent death of my brother and my claim was fully met $14,000 received back .
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 10:47 PM

Credit card benefits are pretty generous these days. I mean, they even protect if you a product you purchase goes down in price within a specific timeframe. Wow! That said, as was previously suggested, do confirm with your credit card first as there may be non-trivial fine print.
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 02:16 PM

>

Get it in writing. A Guide to Benefits is included with your card and whenever it is renewed. If you don't have that, ask for another and ensure that it is for your specific type of card. Presume nothing when reading the benefits. If you have any questions, contact them in writing for clarification in writing.
Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

An update. I submitted a claim with my CC, it's actually processed by a 3rd party company they hired. The processing company was awful - endless additional documents requests, not communicating new requests to me or not communicating the status, etc. Multiple long phone calls but in the end I got a check for a full amount.