Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   convertible backpack with wheels (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/convertible-backpack-with-wheels-759375/)

hdavig Jan 3rd, 2009 03:53 PM

convertible backpack with wheels

looking for lightweight but strong
backpack that has wheels. need to carry 13", 4lb laptop, camera and accessories for both plus misc "stuff".
mostly for those times when checked baggage is gone and your hanging around airport waiting to take off. don't feel like having a pack on my back at those times but appropriate other times

suze Jan 4th, 2009 10:55 AM

Any bag that includes wheels, frame & a handle mechanism, can't be all that "lightweight" because those things weigh at least a few pounds themselves.

That said, Rick Steves has one that people seem to like.

swisshiker Jan 4th, 2009 11:00 AM

Hello hdavig :)

Agree with suze, that all the mechanism will not make it particularly lightweight.

I checked the Rick Steves website, and his convertible backpack does not have wheels.

There are convertible/wheeled combo backpacks available at Walmart and Target (in the lower $$ range, probably $20-$30). Also, ebags and zappos have them in the $70-$100 range. Cannot comment on quality of each, tho.

suze Jan 4th, 2009 06:11 PM

Rather than tune into a specific brand, I'd go in person to a luggage store, or better yet a Marshall's, TJ Maxx, etc. and look for yourself.

You want to feel them, wheel them around, try them on your back, see how much room they have, etc.

Luggage is one thing (besides shoes) I insist on buying in person.

hdavig Jan 7th, 2009 05:30 PM

thanks for the feedback. might just stick with my northface backpack.
i did see a guy at the airport once with something like i'm describing. my mistake was not asking him about it.

MLTimes Jan 7th, 2009 08:54 PM

I've had a bright red swiss army (think that's the brand) wheeled backpack for probably 7 years. It's a full rollaboard size bag with an interior compartment, large outside pockets and small, zip off day pack. I don't think the bag is particularly heavy empty, and it has a good strap system and belt to distribute weight (from my experience, full of clothes, books, booze and North African ceramics.) Mine sounds larger than what you need, but doesn't LL Bean or lands end make a backpack with wheels that would hold a computer and accoutrements? I see kids wheeling these types of schoolbags all the time.

Bisbeee Jan 8th, 2009 03:47 AM

Check out the Eagle Creek Switchback. Could be just the ticket.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/collection...-Max-22-20217/

boots08 Jan 8th, 2009 10:41 AM

$300 for the Switchback. :o
I would hope it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Bisbeee Jan 9th, 2009 07:47 PM

It comes with a lifetime "no matter what" warranty. So even if you run over it with your car or it's trampled by a herd of elephants, its covered.

suze Jan 11th, 2009 10:38 AM

My question is always, "what does it weigh empty?"

Lately I've been using a cheap (freebie actually) 24" rolling duffle bag (I check it thru) for beachy vacations when I'm not moving around alot because it weighs less than 4 lbs. empty.

kybourbon Jan 12th, 2009 06:03 AM

I made the mistake of borrowing my sister's backpack with wheels (Victorinox) for my last trip to Italy. They are much heavier than a regular backpack. Not only was it heavy, but didn't seem to hold as much because the wheels/handle take up a lot of the space. I'll never use it again, but then I don't like any of the Victorinox luggage because of the handle design. They have one bar handles (most luggage has 2 bars) and they tend to flip over while pulling them.

I do like the rolling duffles. We have 3-4 cheap ones (about $30)from KMart and have used them for years. I did have a zipper break one time, but that could happen on any piece of luggage.