Notices

contiki tour

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
contiki tour

hi,

I am a 32 years old male. I am thinking of taking the 17 days tour with contiki (Reefs and Rainforest). Has anyone taken that tour before and would like to share their experience on it. I am thinking of leaving the Nov 23 trip. I will be traveling by myself. Thanks.

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Max, sounds like fun. Sorry I don't have any information, but you might want to post this on the Central American (?) board as well.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Sorry, make that Latin America.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Max,

I haven't taken a tour with Contiki or any group travel outfitter, but like you, I'm considering a trip to the Amazon/Andes (with TrekAmerica). May I ask how you chose Contiki?

I am hesitant to book a trip without knowing much about the organization, and a search on Fodor's for "TrekAmerica" didn't result in anything. My other concerns are: the TrekAmerica trip that's 14 days is half as cheap as many other trips that go for only 6 days. It seems odd and it makes me wonder what the accomodations will be like. Cost is a factor but I'm not necessarily looking for a "budget" trip. Also, I want to go on a trip with people my age (I'm 31) and I'm not sure TrekAmerica's trip will be like that. Sorry for rambling, but my question is basically...how did you decide on Contiki?
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM

One of the worst companies I have ever dealt with was TrekAmerika. Their customer service is the WORST. If you like losing all your money, go on a tour with TrekAmerika otherwise I would choose a better tour operator. My experience is only with the U.S. and British office so perhaps if you are elsewhere it will be different.
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 01:37 PM
ltt

i did contiki europe and have several other family member who did contiki too. we don't have a bad thing to say about it. i went solo and it was a great trip.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:59 AM

I've traveled 2x with Contiki in the last few years thru Europe. I have one lifelong friend-met in Paris she lives in LA and I live in SAn Diego. Always been a great way to meet people and an easy way to travel solo. Accomodations are so-so but, overall it is a great way to see places if you don't want the hassle of figuring maps/directions/trains/hotels out all on your own. I highly recommend them and also taking a couple days at the end of your trip to have more "indepth" time in certain locals.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 01:37 PM

I booked a trip to Ecuador and Peru through Kontiki Tours in 2003 and they were great to deal with. My trip was solo but they booked everything and customized it for me. I'm sure I paid more than if I had booked myself, but it was worth having someone knowledgeable do all the work.