Search

Electronic Devices

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronic Devices

Small 10" laptop, GPS device, language translator.

For a prolonged travel vacation, I would think a small laptop might be useful for contact with hotels and information about various tourist sites.

The GPS would provide security so one did not wander into an area and get lost.

In case the above happens, the translator might be useful.

Does anyone use any of these devices? Are they of value? Also, any recommendataions for particular models?

Thank you.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
looking at your other thread about planning a long trip wandering around -- you didn't mention driving. Do you plan on renting cars in all those countries? If not, you won't need a GPS for just walking around cities and using public transport.

If you have a laptop you won't need a language translator - use the laptop on line.

So now you are down to one device - a laptop, small or otherwise. Remember - each of those countries/continents has different electricity issues (both voltage and types of wall plugs.)
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Goldengrain
About 2 months ago I purchased my Acer Aspie One Laptop. OMG, I love the little thing. It is only 9" I believe, comes with built in camera, mic, speakers. The one I purchased is the Windows edition. Approx cost $400. The best part, weight 1kg, yes, only 2.2lbs. I love it. I actually use it more than any other computer we own.

As janisj stated, this takes care of all your other problems too.

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

You people are so helpful.
As I said, I have time, and who knows how technology will change in a year or two.

Yes, we could rent a car and ride around the countryside a bit, who knows?

I am trying to cover bases.

Thank you for the Acer recommendation. It sounds cute. I may get one to augment my desktop.

Some rental cars, I have heard, are equipped with GPS.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM

I like my GPS (TomTom 920). If I'm not driving, I might still want to bring it. It has a bike mode and walking mode. I'm not sure the battery gets good life, however, without being plugged in.

I don't bring a laptop, just too much weight to drag around for a carry-on person.

My wife bought me a translator a few years ago for Christmas. I tried it a few times but found it was harder to use than a pocket dictionary/phrasebook. I try to learn some language before I go so I can hit the ground running. The translator now sits in a drawer because I don't pack it.

Two potential new electronic devices are a cell phone and a digital voice recorder.

I have been using PIN Cards for years but it would be nice to make calls without having to find a pay-phone. My cell phone will work but I'm too cheap to pay $1 per minute to call hotels. I'm considering unlocking my phone and getting a SIM card at a local shop on arrival.

I take a journal on my trips. I'm considering replacing it with a digital voice recorder. The new ones are compatible with voice recognition transcription software. When you get home you can download into a word processing file, edit, add digital pictures and have a nice e-journal. The main thing I'm waiting for is to see someone who uses it and watch it work. Until I'm sure it works as advertised, I don't want to buy.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 07:54 AM

We're carryon only people, and I enjoyed my <u>Acer Aspire One</u> this past trip. Got it for $350 at CompUSA sale. Also took a locking security cable for it, and the power cord. The only other electronics we take are our cell phones (add'l batts, no need for chargers)
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not a question of right or wrong, just would YOU use it, do YOU need it, are YOU willing to haul the stuff around on your tirp.

For me the answer to all of that is *nope, I am not*.

I get by OK using internet cafes, a map &amp; a phrase book! I don't travel with ANY electronics myself.

Old Nov 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oops, sorry I didn't recognize your name.

Because of your previous post about the type of trip you are planning, in your situation (going away for a couple years &amp; with no advanced planning) I WOULD in fact consider at least taking the laptop.