Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page > Canada restricts carry-on luggage on flights to US!
Notices

Canada restricts carry-on luggage on flights to US!

Jan 4th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Canada restricts carry-on luggage on flights to US!

Just coz someone was able to pass through security checks with explosives in his underwear, Canada Transport has banned carry-ons altogether on all flights to U.S.! I was flying in to New York from Toronto—just a 90 minute flight for which I had to wait 5 hours at the airport undergoing innumerable delays and security checks. In the end, I was just happy I was able to carry my 10K camera and accessories on-flight. I don’t mind checking in all my baggage – in fact, a good turnout from all of this could result in less delays at security checkpoints since there would be less luggage to check. But the airlines should have some system in place for tracking our check-in luggage so that it doesn’t get lost or robbed! I’ve had too many bad experiences on this count. I’m all for air safety and the bare essentials carry-on rules, but I want a fool-proof system for check-in luggage, or be given full compensation from airlines. What do you guys think?
Jan 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM

I think I'd take the train.
Jan 5th, 2010, 01:51 PM

AS long as I can carry on my camera and accessories I don't care about checking other baggage - I always do anyway since my camera bag is the max carry-on size. The camera and gear are well insured, including for if I have to check it but I'd rather have it with me.
My other baggage is always covered by my travel insurance anyway.
Jan 12th, 2010, 03:09 AM

I totally agree with you Gabrielle. They are messing with the fliers by imposing such ridiculous restrictions. I travel on work often and most times these trips are for one night. Thank God for my Expandable Laptop Brief (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...e-Brief_KB402X) from Briggs & Riley. It has enough space for my laptop, all my files and folders, my ipod, and a change of clothes. And hetismij, I second your thought of getting things well insured in advance irrespective you check them in or not. Airlines are expected to implement stricter rules over time and it is absolutely necessary for travelers like us to be updated about their requirements to make our travel a little easy.

Search this Thread