Liteweight Men's Underwear?

Old Jan 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liteweight Men's Underwear?

I did a search & found one thread from 2003, but it related to quick-drying. We don't handwash underwear while traveling, so don't care about quick drying. And, we don't have any old ones to take & throw away, which wouldn't help the outbound packing anyway. So, we end up taking a pair for every day; our last trip was 4 weeks; upcoming trip is 6 weeks - takes up a lot of luggage space for hubby's cotton briefs! My silk underwear is not a problem, but he is not the type of man to wear women's garments!

So, any suggestions on NON-BULKY mens' underwear - JOCKEY style, not boxers. Finding a nice price would be helpful too!

Thanks, Julie
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 01:13 PM

The light stuff is usually quick-drying. Have you tried looking at an outdoor gear store? My favourite local store lists some men's underwear that may be what you're looking for:

http://tinyurl.com/yeebnrw
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So why don't you hand wash underwear? What if you go for eight weeks?
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Or what about visiting a laundry matt or drop-off service mid-trip?
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 09:21 PM

Sorry, I don't have a suggestion for you, but you're really planning to pack 40some pairs of underwear? Each?
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not just pack. I can't imagine OWNING that many pairs!
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Seriously now ;-) where is this 6-week trip taking place? I have never been anywhere that you couldn't find a way to get a load of laundry done. Either coin-op DIY or drop-off service where you leave them for the day and pick up later on or a hotel as a last resort. I can't imagine traveling with more than 1-week's worth of undie things.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link, ShelliDawn. I checked it out, but a little costly for me, $17 for 1 pair (the silk ones). The other ones won't work for what he likes to wear, which is just regular full rise (no legs) jockies. But, kind of you to give me the info.

I did find a lite weight blended fabric, that might work, but I didn't order them that day (3 pairs for $16) & now they are no longer on sale = $22. Isn't that much more, but I might as well just keep watching for another sale - Penneys.

Re: how many undies we take with us - totally we pack one 26" bag (checked) & one carryon size bag, plus we each take a carryon backpack. However, sometimes we switch the 26" for a carryon size, which gives us each just a carryon, plus our carryon personal item (small backpack) (sadly TSA may permanently change it to only 1 carryon item pp!). And, we never go to Europe for less than 4-5 weeks because we cruise over & back & want at a minimum 2 1/2 weeks in Europe for the land part.

On our previous 5 week trip, yes, we packed undies to allow for a clean pair every day without handwashing. Our first week was transatlantic on the QM2 which has a laundramat, so at the end of the week we laundered the dirty clothes, which meant that 4 weeks of underwear were packed for this trip. As I said, my silk underwear takes up very little room, so why handwash? But, men's cotton jockey shorts add quite a bit of bulk & weight......thus, that's why I posted & I'm looking for a less weighty material.

Re: packing less underwear & doing laundry in the countries we visit during the land portion of our trips - why? All of our clothing, except hubby's underwear, is travel clothing - less weight/less bulk. Therefore, I am looking to find a travel weight type product for our only bulky item - hubby's underwear. Once I find this product (at a cost I'm willing to pay), issue resolved, because I know we will have luggage room for such no matter how long we travel - I don't see us traveling for more than 8 weeks. So, yes, I understand that we can use laundry service during our travels, but except for the time we are stuck on a ship & just lounging around anyway, I don't see any need to take up our touring time on land to do laundry.

Thanks for everyone's time & suggestions, Julie
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM

Look at TravelSmith & Magellen & Territory Beyond mail order or online. They have all kinds of travel specific clothing including men's undies.

Sorry about mentioning doing laundry. I guess I just assumed for a 6 week trip you'd need to wash your clothes as well as the underwear situation.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM

oops that would be Territory AHEAD
www.territoryahead.com
www.travelsmith.com
www.magellans.com
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 07:08 AM

Haynes has some that are 50% synthetic and 50% cotton. Usually comes in packs of 3 for about $10 (as I recall). Really nice and they do dry overnight.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 08:04 PM

Maybe you should try wintersilks.com they make men's underwear.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 10:30 AM

"So, yes, I understand that we can use laundry service during our travels, but except for the time we are stuck on a ship & just lounging around anyway, I don't see any need to take up our touring time on land to do laundry."

On the other hand, others don't see any need to follow your choice to drag around four weeks of clean/dirty underwear. It takes five minutes every few days to rinse out a few days of quick-drying undergarments in a hotel sink. To me and others, that makes for more effective travel than packing all those extra undergarments and dragging them from place to place.

My male traveling companions switch to mens' quick-drying briefs for a trip. While this style of undergarment is not their usual choice, they accept the change for the duration of the trip since it makes packing and laundering easier.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

ellenem, before posting I understood that some "others" do hand laundry. I discovered that while researching these boards, before I posted. And, I understand that....

"others don't see any need to follow your choice to drag around four weeks of clean/dirty underwear. It takes five minutes every few days to rinse out a few days of quick-drying undergarments in a hotel sink. To me and others, that makes for more effective travel than packing all those extra undergarments and dragging them from place to place."

However, we 'obviously' don't choose to do it the way you and "others" do. Therefore, on this post, I specifically requested info on men's lite weight underwear. And, knowing how some Fodorites handwash, I specifically posted that we are not interested in hand washing. No where in my post was I advising anyone to follow my "choice". Sorry, but I don't really care how others 'handle' their underwear! So, I really don't understand why you felt the need to advise me that I am not an "effective travel"er because I drag around needless underwear - good brief! We're just talking underwear here, not world peace!

Advice is welcomed, but let's recognize that we don't all wear our underwear the same way, and that is definitely OK.

Julie
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 04:31 PM

Sorry if you mistook my meaning. I guess I mistook yours.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Can't get any lighter than commando....
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:47 PM

<i>Can't get any lighter than commando....</i>

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:00 AM

The other day I ordered the newest boxers of Bjorn Borg. They are AMAZING! They're so thin, you can hardly feel that you're wearing them. They have them there for pretty good prices http://www.onlineunderwear.nl

You can't beat commando, but this is the closest thing you will find!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:34 AM

<<<thursdaysd on Jan 7, 10 at 9:01am
Not just pack. I can't imagine OWNING that many pairs!>>>

I can't say anything to that as I have well over 40 pairs of undies. There's a Vanity Fair outlet near me and well, when it's $1-3 for a pair of undies and they're cute... Yes, I need a 12 step program!

As for the original question, while I can't imagine hauling that many pairs of undies on a vacation, it's your bag so pack whatever you want! If you want to carry that many pairs of undies and weight isn't a concern, put them in ziplocks and squeeze all of the air out. Multiple quart size bags compact fairly well and are easier to pack than one large gallon size bag. Fold neatly, shove as many pairs into a bag as will fit, sit and seal.

I do have to admit to being confused by the idea of packing enough for a 6 week vacation without doing laundry. Maybe I'm missing the obvious but if you're going to go that long do you either A) wear the same stuff over and over and over without ever washing it or B) wash the clothes but don't want to wash the undies??
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 03:16 PM

If you wear them inside-out the next day, you only need to bring half the number you thought you needed!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -