on my own

Old May 11th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on my own

I had planned on a trip to florida. My partner bailed on me, and now I'm alone. I have never done anything alone before. How do I get up the nerve to leave my hotel room? I have never travelled before, so I am really nervous. Do a lot of people do solo travel? Will I look like an idiot?
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:15 PM

You will not look like an idiot. YOu don't have to go around announcing you are alone. Do whatever you would do with another person. Take a book for meals.

Where in Florida?

Old May 11th, 2007, 09:19 PM

You would be amazed at how many people travel solo - and even more amazed that they all survive and the majority enjoy the experience immensely.

As for nerve, do you ever go shopping alone? do you ever go to the movies alone? do you ever eat lunch alone? do you ever take walks alone?

If you said yes to any one of these, then you shouldn't have any problem leaving your hotel room. No one is going to stop and point at you saying "OMG! That person is ALONE!" Think about it, if you are at the mall, do you point out all the people who are by themselves? It will be the same in a vacation place. People are caught up in their own lives and won't give you a second thought. The people you talk to may notice, but 99% of them won't care that you're alone. And the 1% that does are idiots.

If you said no to all of those, try them while you're still at home. If you can't handle it at home, then you're not going to like traveling solo. If you find it's not so bad, then you'll travel solo just fine.
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

I'll be going to Orlando. I think I am more afraid of getting lost than anything. Thanks for the replies.
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If getting lost is the problem, get a map and study it. Also carry the business card from your hotel and enough for taxi fare. That way you can always get back "home".

No one knows you are traveling solo. No one will be looking at your one way or the other (as far as looking like an idiot).

Nerve to leave the hotel room? Just start out slow, take a walk around the immediate neighborhood and familiarize yourself. That's how I always do it (traveling in the U.S. or Europe or wherever).

Yes loads of people travel solo, all the time, everywhere around the world.

Old May 12th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Well, isn't Orlando full of tourists anyway? I would think that it is one of the most tourist friendly cities for tourism in this country.

I don't get why you think you would look like an idiot.

Old May 12th, 2007, 11:03 AM

I agree with Suze. If getting lost is the problem, get a map ahead of time and study it.

If you're driving, write down your basic routes to and from the sites and your hotel - write them in a way that's easiest for you to follow (i.e., if you don't do north/south well, do right/left).

If you're not driving, check the websites for info on bus transportation to the sites - write down which busline goes to which site, etc.

Make a list of places you want to see with their addresses and phone numbers.

And relax - getting lost isn't the end of the world - just use common sense. If you find yourself lost, stop. Don't keep wandering around. Go into a local shop and ask for assistance from a clerk. Always keep $20 cash available so you can get a taxi if needed. Allow plenty of time to get from one place to the next so that you don't start stressing that you're "going to be late".
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:41 PM

safaricheri- You must have done something alone sometime in your life, right? I dunno, going to the grocery store or an appointment or something?

As far as being "lost"... that really isn't possible. You just don't know exactly where you are for the moment, perhaps, but no way you will become truly lost in Orlando, Florida. I think I can pretty much guarantee that!
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:23 AM

For me, I have less fear (if you want to call it that) of getting lost when I am traveling solo than when I am with someone else. If I screw up my directions when alone, I'm really only inconveniencing myself.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Plumeria - I agree. Also, you don't have someone freaking out because you took the wrong turn "OMG! We went the wrong way! What do we do now!! Oh No!"

Instead, you just have yourself saying "oops, made a wrong turn, OK, turn here and then here and I'm back on track".
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:34 PM

I ALWAYS think of this benefit of solo travel when I hear couples squabbling (which seems to happen a LOT)!!! No one to blame or thank, either one, except myself.
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
JRP

Don't mean to sound poetic but, on your mysterious and fear-filled journey, you've taken the first step in the right direction. You've entered the Fodor's forum.
Pay close attention to all the advice. You'll be guided well.
Most all of us have traveled solo at some time and the reassurance you're receiving is genuine.
Fear not.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM

I travel solo a lot and I get lost a lot!! I almost always look like an idiot. It's part of the experience. Follow other people's advice - carry money for a cab and the hotel address. Be aware of your surroundings. Be glad you know the language!! Enjoy yourself and don't stress.
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I appreciate the vote of confidence.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:37 PM

When I go solo, I make a list of places I must see and will be very sorry later if I don't.

After that, I see what is more comfortable for me: a bus, a taxi, or maybe a local tour.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM

Oh,safaricheri,you'll be so proud of yourself when it's all done. Don't be surprised if you'll have a strong desire to plan another trip.....alone. *gasp*

I travel alone exclusively. People aren't always dependable when making travel plans,as you've well learned. Just relax but beware of your surroundings, just like everyday.
If you click my name you can read my most recent solo journey to Prague.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:41 PM

SafariCheri,

I recall you also hope to go alone to Africa in a few years. Florida can be practice. So what's your plan in FL? As someone who has gone to Africa and FL alone, let me assure you that you will not look like an idiot and I'm sure your surroundings will beckon you out of the hotel room.

Have fun!