Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   budget trip for anniversary-02/10 (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/budget-trip-for-anniversary-02-10-a-798345/)

ahuddle Jul 30th, 2009 05:23 AM

budget trip for anniversary-02/10

I would like to plan a 20th ann. trip in feb.,2010 for my hus. & I.
We live in the U.S. w/ 3 small kids which is one reason why budget travel is a must!
A week to 10 days is the longest we could leave for.
Completely open to suggestions!
Thx.

suze Jul 30th, 2009 11:49 AM

The kids are coming along, or just you and your husband?

Are you interested in going out of the country? Or within the U.S. only?

If you're interested in leaving the U.S. and flying somewhere, let us know your location so we can better suggest closer places to keep the costs down.

yk Jul 30th, 2009 12:27 PM

Do you have any preference? What kind of budget? Which part of US do you live?

Are you looking for some place warm where you can lie out on a beach?

Or perhaps a cruise?

Or you enjoy ski vacation?

Or a resort where you husband can golf while you go to a spa?

Do you like outdoorsy, hiking stuff? Or big cities, cultural sightseeing?

ahuddle Jul 30th, 2009 02:22 PM

No kiddos!
Out of the country would be nice-Belize sounds like it would be right up our alley.

We are fearful of a cruise-being stuck on a boat w/ so many people & a schedule sounds a little stressfull.

I have a fear of skiing (long story-crutches included in it!) & my husband is not the resort type.

Our last Vacation was a week exploring San Francisco-lightyears ago it seems!

We really rely on word-of-mouth to find interesting places so many thx.!

suze Jul 30th, 2009 03:58 PM

My favorite places to go in Mexico are Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, or La Paz. Each one can be very budget friendly, depending where you stay, where you eat, what you do.

Because I'm in Seattle, I can also get to Hawaii (Waikiki) at a very reasonable price. Again because I don't rent a car, and stay at a nice local style budget hotel, and eat at local places.

suze Jul 30th, 2009 04:00 PM

I travel solo but as an example, this February my first trip to Cabo, the cost of my nonstop, roundtrip plane ticket on Aeromexico, 7 nights at a downtown hotel, and rountrip transportation to and from the airport... was under $800.

ahuddle Jul 30th, 2009 04:25 PM

Wow!
That is amazing!
We will be traveling frm. San Antonio,tx.

dfr4848 Jul 31st, 2009 09:06 AM

Costa Rica comes to mind. Very reasonable. Easy to do on your own. Beautiful country with wildlife, beaches, volcanoes, whatever you're interested in. Convenient nonstops out of Houston.

ahuddle Jul 31st, 2009 09:39 AM

Will check into that-thx. for the suggestion.

suze Jul 31st, 2009 10:42 AM

You might want to read both here on Fodor's in the Mexico and Central American forum & at the destination forums on Trip Advisor for Mexico, Belize, and Costa Rica. And/or check out some guidebooks from your library.

From Texas, I'm guessing Mexico may be your most economical destination (most bang for your buck) being the closest and largest country (more options for cities and lodging).

fitznj Aug 1st, 2009 03:01 PM

We did a cruise for our 20th, a 5 day out of Miami, stopped at Key West and Cayman. It was Celebrity, sorry don't remember the ship. However, the number two and three choices on our lists were Quebec City/Montreal and Asheville NC. Both really great spots. If you go to Quebec you really feel you are in France. For us in the East those are pretty easy destinations. Asheville, if you will travel in the fall, is beautiful and very relaxing. Then there's NYC - can't go wrong there. Good deals on theater and wonderful dining, something for everyone, but not what I'd call relaxing.

LSky Aug 2nd, 2009 07:17 AM

We went to the Southwest last Feb for our birthday vacation. It was perfect. We dressed for cold weather and went to the Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly (sorry about spelling, it's early) Painted Desert, Sedona, Arcosanti and ended in Phoenix. Had a great time and found a lot of good deals. Plus, and this is what I liked best- very few people.

We've also traveled to Paris for our Birthdays Trip, Germany and New York. We don't mind snow, we lived in So. California so it's a novelty since we don't ski.