Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Best Travel Magazine? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/best-travel-magazine-850717/)

Desidero Jul 21st, 2010 05:55 AM

Best Travel Magazine?

My Travel & Leisure subscription just ran out and I thought it was a good time to get some input on the best travel magazines for international travelers. In my view, T&L is mostly geared towards high-end travel. I thought there were ocassionally good pieces in the magazine, but overall it wasn't my cup of tea. I absolutely adore Lonely Planet Travel Magazine, which is much more my speed, but unfortunately it's not available by subscription in the U.S. and can only be purchased in select retail stores.

What are your favorite travel magazines and why?

bratsandbeer Jul 21st, 2010 07:38 AM

I subscribe to National Geographic Traveler. Always some interesting articles to read.

suze Jul 21st, 2010 12:54 PM

My favorite is Arthur Frommer's *Budget Travel* because it actually has articles and ideas I might use for my own travels.

I also enjoy Conde Nast and National Geographic Traveler, just for the reading & photo pleasure. Though I've subscribed on occasion, T&L is my least favorite.

Neuman605 Jul 21st, 2010 02:23 PM

I second "Budget", it has given me awesome affordable ideas.

saige Jul 21st, 2010 06:20 PM

Budget Travel, National Geographic Traveler and ITN are the ones that we have found most useful. Conde Nast and TL have pretty pictures and totally unrealistic information for our budget.

MarthaT Jul 22nd, 2010 07:04 AM

International Travel News (ITN) is the best one I have found.
I also subscribe to Nat Geo Traveler and Budget Travel and do like both of them.

tenthumbs Jul 22nd, 2010 01:54 PM

Gonna hop o the bandwagon with Suze and Neuman....most of what T&L featured is beyond my budget.

Sue878 Jul 23rd, 2010 08:50 AM

I also subscribe to Natl Geographic
Traveler and Budget Travel.

suze Jul 23rd, 2010 02:09 PM

honestly even Budget's featured trips are more than I ever spend (lol). But i love reading about new places and seeing the photographs. I know how to plan my own travels to get the most out of it, so the magazines are more just a pleasure, icing on the cake, hobby. When I'm ready to go on a real trip, I do my research on the internet (here and Trip Advisor and destination specific websites).

hlphillips2 Jul 26th, 2010 05:57 PM

I used to be a big fan of National Geographic Traveler, but IMO when they revamped the format a year or two ago it became less fun. And really, shouldn't travel be fun :P
Budget Travel is another favorite, though the reporting is light and breezy. Totally agree that Conde Nast and T&L aren't usually practical for our household, and really how many issues of Top 100 anything can they print?? Although some articles have inspired me to visit certain places- like Sri Lanka- though I'd find my own hotel recommendations! I do think their writing is excellent though lengthy.

There are some others specific to areas or methods you may frequent (Africa, cruises, backpacking, outdoor hiking).

Ella Jul 29th, 2010 05:00 AM

Travel & Leisure is out of my league. I've gotten the most useful information out of International Travel News.