Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Best tour packages (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/best-tour-packages-960870/)

malthi Dec 30th, 2012 10:58 PM

Best tour packages

Can you tell me the best tour packages arranged by the tour agaency ?

Rastaguytoday Dec 31st, 2012 01:51 PM

First time post by a new member.

You might be surpised at the fact we're mostly independent travelers.

What package, where, how long, etc...?

Want a nice 6 month tour of Antartica?

MissGreen Dec 31st, 2012 03:27 PM

I read the post yesterday and thought how could you answer it as it was too general

Neuman605 Jan 1st, 2013 04:28 PM

Malthi,

Many people are independent travelers but I have on occasion used tour packages when I am time constrained or if a great package deal appears. Sometimes I have found air/hotles deals that I can't beat if I book on my own.

I have used Friendly Planet and Gate 1, and been very satisfied with their prices and services.

Best advice is research and ask a lot of questions on this site and other sites before making a decision.

LEANNA Jan 1st, 2013 06:19 PM

I have used: Insight, Maupintour, Globus, Cosmos, Grand European, Pacific Delight, and Uniworld and been happy with all.

Just figure out where you want to go and what you want to see and choose a tour company that matches as much as possible your dreams.

Good luck!

PlanLuxuryTrip Jan 1st, 2013 10:12 PM

Hi Malthi,

Well I can say that the best tour package would be which includes your meal, destination pick & drop, taxi or car for roaming and full assistance throughout your trip. So, consult any travel agency and ask what they have offered you and at which cost.

Good luck
Plan Luxury Trip

LEANNA Jan 2nd, 2013 06:37 PM

If you book thru a tour company like the ones I listed, you will be watched over constantly and not have to worry about all the details of traveling. Luggage is handled for you, breakfast and most dinner or served, transportation is provided for optional tours, and of course you travel daily on a bus/coach.

Lunches can or cannot be provided so read your small print. Also read the diff between visit and see and all that as visit means you walk thru and see can mean a drive by. Hotels may or may not be central but sometimes by the time you get in and settled you are ready for dinner and bed anyway so who cares.

I like bus tours and have many and when I really want to see a country I sign up for another one. But you do have to follow rules and be on time and all that but to me its worth it. Also check the optionals, as sometimes they can be costly and its better to go for a more inclusive tour and get your optionals already paid for along with other goodies like water etc. Like I said...read the small print! Good luck!

Moongoddess Jan 7th, 2013 10:31 AM

"Best tour packages"? There is no such thing. What works well for one traveler might be a horrible choice for another. If you want a sensible answer, you need to tell us what you're looking for in terms of destination, price, activity level, etc.

P_M Jan 7th, 2013 05:57 PM

I've traveled with Gate 1 and overall I like them but there a are a few things I don't like. They do a lot of hand holding, supervising and they provide several meals, mostly at the hotel with mediocre food. I would much prefer they reduce the price and recommend good restaurants instead of providing meals. Another major complaint I have about tours is they will make stops at stores and encourage you to shop there, mainly because the guide will get a commission on what you buy. Another thing to look out for is what's included and what is not in terms of city tours. Some companies such as Cosmos have very cheap prices, but once you add in all of the optional tours you will end up paying a lot more than you expected.

Last year I traveled with Imaginative Traveler and it was much nicer. The group was small with only about 12 people. The tour was not so rushed and I felt like I was on a road trip with friends. The only meals provided were a daily breakfast and the guide always suggested good restaurants for lunch and dinner.

As others have stated above, it all depends on what you want. If you like being taken care of (I'm not knocking that if it's your preference) then Gate 1 or Globus might be best for you. If you are a more adventurous type then check out Imaginative Traveler.

There are many more companies of course, but we need more info to make a good suggestion.

skyex3633 Jan 7th, 2013 08:09 PM

You have to select a company very carefully, check the information about the company in internet , read the feed back of other users or if possible call personally some one who had been traveled with the company before.