Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Best European Destination for Solo Woman (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/best-european-destination-for-solo-woman-979290/)

Lahlah May 26th, 2013 09:59 PM

Best European Destination for Solo Woman

Hey there!
I'm traveling alone and I'd like to go to Europe in late June. Originally I wanted to visit Florence and Tuscany but I've read a bit on the men being a little more aggressive there than other countries. As this is my first time traveling solo I want to focus more on the sites than on the attention being given to me. So now I'm not sure. Any recommendations on a city in Europe that is open and safe for a virgin-solo traveler getting her toes wet?

Thanks!

sparkchaser May 27th, 2013 01:39 AM

London. No language barrier and you're unlikely to draw the "wrong" sort of attention from the signals you "normally" send out.

No matter where you go, be street-smart and don't do anything foolish like walking about alone at night. That's universal advice.

thursdaysd May 27th, 2013 04:38 AM

Not sure where you read that, but I would say it is very out of date. I have a hard time thinking of a city in Europe that is not safe for a solo woman traveler (provided she doesn't wander down dark, empty alleys at 3:00 in the morning after drinking too much). You will get more answers if you post this on the Europe board.

sparkchaser's advice is extreme, depending on the definition of night. I certainly walk arounf cities on my own after dinner.

sparkchaser May 27th, 2013 04:54 AM

Aye. My advice was extreme but OP didn't exactly give enough information for a better answer. ;)

janisj May 27th, 2013 08:02 AM

I'd re-post over on the Europe forum -- you'll get a LOT more input/suggestions/perspective

And re walking alone at night - if one is in London or Paris or Rome or Barcelona . . . If one is alone and doesn't go out alone at night they will mis a WHOLE heck of a lot. Absolutely no reason at all to hunker down in your hotel in the evenings. No one else will be . . . .

suze May 29th, 2013 01:38 PM

I have had lovely solo trips in Venice, Amsterdam, and Paris. I think any major city is OK with a little bit of common sense. I think the statement about Italian men is a bit of a stereotype that you may or may not find to be true.

suze May 29th, 2013 01:39 PM

<don't do anything foolish like walking about alone at night. That's universal advice.>

Wrong! That is NOT "universal advice". And I'm guessing not written by anyone who travels solo themselves. I can't imagine going to Europe and sitting in my hotel room because of fear every night. That's truly ridiculous.

november_moon May 29th, 2013 03:53 PM

I think that rather than advice not to wander around alone at night, thurday put it better with "provided she doesn't wander down dark, empty alleys at 3:00 in the morning after drinking too much".

bamafam May 29th, 2013 03:55 PM

I've traveled solo in London, Luzern and Munich and felt perfectly comfortable in all of them.

suze May 30th, 2013 01:30 PM

Well sure, you probably shouldn't wander around drunk and alone in the daytime either!!

samoca Jun 1st, 2013 06:30 PM

I spent a month in Florence in 2009 (and traveled around Tuscany as well), and I'd have to say I felt a lot safer than at home in LA. Of course, being over 60, I might actually welcome a little male attention LOL! I did go to Florence in my 20s and spent a few days alone there and got male attention 'cause I had very long hair and young Italian girls didn't look like that in 1971. But they did things like follow me around and pretend to be Frank Sinatra--pretty funny and perfectly harmless I thought.

I have to say that on my last trip in '09, I saw lots of young girls with beautiful long wavy hair all over Florence and the men barely turned their heads, so I would say times have changed. Anyway, I think a woman alone feels safer in Europe in general than in a comparable US city. Florence is a good choice for solo travel--it is extremely walkable and there are always people around. I felt fine eating in restaurants there too, and there are lots of options at all price ranges. Buon viaggio (happy travels).

samoca Jun 1st, 2013 08:08 PM

I spent a month in Florence in 2009 (and traveled around Tuscany as well), and I'd have to say I felt a lot safer than at home in LA. Of course, being over 60, I might actually welcome a little male attention LOL! I did go to Florence in my 20s and spent a few days alone there and got male attention 'cause I had very long hair and young Italian girls didn't look like that in 1971. But they did things like follow me around and pretend to be Frank Sinatra--pretty funny and perfectly harmless I thought.

I have to say that on my last trip in '09, I saw lots of young girls with beautiful long wavy hair all over Florence and the men barely turned their heads, so I would say times have changed. Anyway, I think a woman alone feels safer in Europe in general than in a comparable US city. Florence is a good choice for solo travel--it is extremely walkable and there are always people around. I felt fine eating in restaurants there too, and there are lots of options at all price ranges. Buon viaggio (happy travels).

annw Jun 3rd, 2013 07:49 AM

I've traveled solo to Ireland, UK, and Italy. Only time I had trouble was on a trip with DH who was 10 feet away when punks grabbed a chain off my neck outside the Brussels south train station.

I think Ireland and UK are great first-time-solo destinations, but if you yearn for Italy, go for it. Venice, for example, is a great place to wander solo, including evenings. towns in Tuscany or Umbria are also great spots. Perugia, Assisi, Ravenna are all places with wonderful strolling and people watching. As a solo diner I've always been well taken care of in the restaurants, like a sister or auntie.

Common sense applies anywhere -- avoiding dodgy areas (train station areas, etc.) especially at night is useful advice everywhere.