Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Net book/mini computer for travel journal--any recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my lap top--but it's just too bulky and heavy for travel. I love to journal--but type faster than I can write and usually wind up with several journals, none of them complete. I've heard folks speak of the Acer netbook--but I'm not sure of connectability (what's this mobile stuff of which they speak). Want something lightweight, almost full-size keyboard--suggestions? Thanks Fodorites!
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a Lenovo S10 netbook back in March - similar size to the Acer, I believe. Love it! The keyboard is a good size, and so is the screen. I took it with me for a month in France. Connectivity? Wireless, aka Wi-Fi. Found in many coffee shops and hotels.

However, it still weighs (with the charger and power cord) over two and a half pounds, and I needed a heavier day pack for it. So for my upcoming trip to the Caucasus and Middle east, I bought a Nokia n800 internet tablet. But it's not something you would want to use for a lot of typing.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM

Go to CNET and read the reviews. Virtually every netbook review has discussion of the keyboard size. If I remember correctly, the Dell has the best keyboard, or maybe it is the Lenovo.

I have a netbook, the Vaio P, but it is strictly for ad-hoc stuff, not extensive typing and the keyboard is a bit cramped, so not recommended for what you want.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Asus

Bought it to have Windows based system. I'm an Apple person.

Anyways. I do like the machine. It does everything I want it to do. It's lightweight, (somewhat) weak wireless receiver but it works great if within certain distance to the source. I still hate Windows but it's what I call the necessary evil.

I also bought an LG DVD slim drive that's about .5" thick and the size of a disk. It plugs into the USB port so it gets the power from the netbook.

Asus promises about 7-8 hours from the battery and it's "almost" true when you use it for anything else except WiFi or DVD player/burner. Even then I get about 3.5-4 hours of usage.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

wow--great ideas; thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

I picked up the Acer Aspire One and now I need a netbook sleeve. The unit measures at 11"--but most netbook sleeves say "up to 10"--any suggestions?
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 06:27 AM

I use a portable DVD player case for my Acer Aspire One netbook. It fits perfectly and has room for the cords, a security cable, and small earphones... I don't take this loaded case when we fly, however - I use the padded sleeve the Acer came with, and put it in the back of my backpack with my travel docs, and the accessories go elsewhere in the backpack. (we carry on only).
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM

I also have the Acer Aspire One and love it. 1GB ram, 160GB hard drive. The keyboard is slightly cramped, but any computer this size will be. Whichever one you get, make sure you get one with a 6-cell battery. I also got a DVD player sleeve for my Acer (mine didn't come with anything). I just took it to a store (had them put a sticker on it when I entered the store, showing I broughti t in) and tried DVD sleeves until I found one I liked and that fit.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 06:09 PM

we have the asus eee 1008 HA and like it very much. It is perfect for travel - the keyboard is small, but it works, it is very very light, with a great battery. We also got a DVD drive for movies, and software, although we download most software. 1 G RAM, and the N280 processor. Fast and we got it with Windoze XP - thinking of upgrading to Windoze 7 in a few months when the dust settles. I believe you can get it with Linux as well, but I'm not sure.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Most airline flight crews have ended up buying the Acer Aspire One for their travels. The thing fits into a purse or small totebag;is easy,lightweight and reliable. Seriously, the best $297 I have spent in a long time!