Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Are housekeeping gratuities now included in the price of the room? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/are-housekeeping-gratuities-now-included-in-the-price-of-the-room-1650972/)

eliza61 Mar 28th, 2018 06:13 AM

Are housekeeping gratuities now included in the price of the room?

So I was chatting with someone on a popular Disney website and the poster said he never tips at any hotel for housekeeping because it's included in the daily price of the room. I had never heard that. Is this some thing new? I have always left a small gratuity for housekeeping.

TIA
Eliza

janisj Mar 28th, 2018 07:24 AM

If it is - it will be spelled out in the 'extras' and fees . . . are you asking re Disney properties specifically or just in general?

boots08 Mar 28th, 2018 01:07 PM

We stay in hotels frequently and have never heard of this.

Boots

suze Mar 28th, 2018 01:58 PM

no (or at least no place i stay) i always tip my room maid

Macross Mar 28th, 2018 03:45 PM

NO, they are paid a pitiful wage. Tip please if USA.

suze Mar 28th, 2018 03:49 PM

Or Mexico. Or the Caribbean. Or...

kja Mar 28th, 2018 05:40 PM

It depends on the country....

Macross Mar 28th, 2018 06:16 PM

Suze, You are correct, unfortunately, many countries pay room staff horrible wages.

schmerl Mar 29th, 2018 04:47 AM

We always tip housekeeping. Even if an all inclusive resort says "tips included", we still tip as we have been told that some of the resorts do NOT pass the supposed included tips to their employees.

suze Mar 29th, 2018 09:14 AM

I don't mind tipping housekeeping. It's a good way to show one-to-one gratitude for them taking care of you.

Besides being the right thing to do, you often receive benefits of better service (more towels, whatever) and for sure a friendlier relationship.

scdreamer Mar 29th, 2018 04:27 PM

Also - we try to give the tip directly to the person who is taking care of our room. We were told by staff at a hotel that once you are on record as checking out, the manager comes in and can take a tip left on the table or dresser.

VonVan Mar 30th, 2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by scdreamer (Post 16703610)
Also - we try to give the tip directly to the person who is taking care of our room. We were told by staff at a hotel that once you are on record as checking out, the manager comes in and can take a tip left on the table or dresser.

This is a good point and one more reason to leave your tip on a daily basis, not just at the end of your stay.
It's hard to think of any service personnel more deserving of a thank-you than room cleaners!

LindaBrinck Apr 14th, 2018 08:23 AM

I have never tipped housekeeping anywhere.
Servers in restaurants are legally paid below minimum wage but not staff in hotels.

I think the whole tipping thing in USA is overdone.

What is a good amount to tip housekeeping?