Tips for places to eat/stay at Disney?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the middle of planning a trip to Disney for the winter and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good books for planning restaurants, hotels, etc? There's a lot of books about the attractions--I just bought a book about the secrets of Disney called “The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World” by Susan Veness. It’s got tons of secret facts about Disney with maps and descriptions of the rides so it's really helpful in planning my trip. My kids (8 and 10 yrs old) love learning about all of the secrets, it’s making them even more excited for the trip (not that it's difficult to get them excited about Disney!) So now that I know about the parks I'm looking for more info about where to stay/eat/shop/etc. I'd like to get advice from people who have been there before. Any suggestions??
Thanks!!
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 07:50 PM

I'd recommend The Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World 2010 (Unofficial Guides) by Bob Sehlinger and Len Testa. There are also some good Disney forums that can help with your planning. One good one is http://www.disboards.com/.

Have a magical trip!
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM

It's most convenient to stay in WDW itself in one of the many Disney hotels because you will get free transportation to and from the parks. Look on Disney's website to compare the various Disney hotels and prices so you can pick one that fits your budget and style. There is no need to travel outside of the parks to eat since each park has several excellent restaurants. I would also recommend the guide mentioned by islandsnoopy.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 02:51 AM

I agree that you should stay in a Disney hotel. If you are planning to go between October 4th and December 17th (you say winter, so I'm not sure if you are going before the end of the year) Disney is offering their Free Dining deal for stays of three days or more. This can be a tremendous savings as you get the Disney Dining Plan for free. You pay rack rate for the hotel and you have to purchase at least a one day base ticket for each person in your party. Disney is also offering room discounts (no free dining with a room discount), but either way the savings can be substantial.

You should go to disneyworld.com and click on "Special Offers" in the upper right corner. The details are all there.

I also recommend disboards.com So much valuable information on that site.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Been to Disney many, many times!
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 03:58 AM

I second the recommendation for disboards.com. The quantity of information there is amazing!
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Avoid the Brown Derby. very disappointing, just ok food, small portions, large prices. I always find the dinner buffet in " Germany " at Epcot to be a real crowd pleaser. Great food, all you can eat, and live entertainment. great fun !
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Agree w/ staying on property. Cut costs elsewhere if you have too (HAVE to that is - you're on vacation after all...)
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Agree: Unofficial Guide to WDW
Agree: disboards.com
Agree: Stay on site--you can also ride the Magical Express from the airport to your resort, yay!

Also, book character meals. You'll have great photo ops and terrific memories. Also, ops for autographs if you're so inclined.

We love the Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom, Hollywood & Vine at Hollywood Studios and 1900 Park Faire at the Grand Floridian (Monorail will take you right there). For our November '09 trip I've booked Chef Mickey's, which along with Cinderella's Royal Table are the most popular character meals. (I have boys so we don't go the princess route).

Whatever you decide, book you meals as soon as possible, up to 90 days in advance. With the free dining promotion, the restaurants will book up early.

As for shopping, we enjoy the huge Disney Store at Downtown Disney. However, if you stay on site and make purchases in the parks, your packages can be shipped directly to your room.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Agree with staying at a resort property. We are planning a trip in Novemeber, staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Our favorite restaurants are Jika The Cooking Place and Boma at Animal Kingdom. When specifically will you be there., Epcot wine and food festival runs thu early November, Mickeys Very Merry Christmas soon after. The DISboards site is fantastic
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Shop at Downtown Disney for hugest Disney store and Lego store. Lots of restaurants there too.

More shopping at Prime Outlets and Premium Outlets.

Go to Universal Studios one day. Your age kids will love it. Disney forces people to spend all their $ there and it is crazy. Their food is not that good and it is crowded. Much better to have flexibility to go to other parks and eat in real restaurants like Restaurant Row on Sand lake Rd.