Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Airport Checkpoint / temporary sole-of-foot protection (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/airport-checkpoint-temporary-sole-of-foot-protection-851202/)

GwenL Jul 23rd, 2010 08:26 PM

Airport Checkpoint / temporary sole-of-foot protection

I would like to determine if passengers going through airport checkpoints would welcome availability of temporary, disposable, stick-on, uni-foot-shaped paper sheets for the soles of their feet for use in passing through airport checkpoints. The adhesive is very low tack. The purpose is to have a temporary barrier between the airport floor and your bare, or stockinged, foot when passing through the checkpoint. That is, I have a patent for such a product and am conducting some market research before taking the idea forward (i.e., to manufacturing). The sheets would likely be dispensed on a tablet, low cost, and could be of 2 or 3 different sizes to accommodate differents sizes of feet. (I am also looking at other settings for use of this product, such as hospitals/clincs, real estate open houses, and others.) Do you think such a product is a good idea, or not? Would you use it? If so, why? If not, why not? Thanks for any and all serious replies to this question -- GwenL

janisj Jul 24th, 2010 06:10 AM

I personally wouldn't use it -- but after years on this and other forums and giving travel talks/programs -- I've learned LOTS of folks have a lower "ick factor" than I do. (it wasn't until I started giving my packing programs that I learned that some find handwashing undies in the hotel sink is "too gross to consider")

You might also want to post over on the Lounge -- it gets much more traffic than this board. I don't think the Fodors editors would object/consider this advertising since there is no product yet -- so you should be OK.

thursdaysd Jul 24th, 2010 06:48 AM

No way. For one thing it doesn't bother me, and for another I travel in boots so I have enough hassle without adding anything else. But like janisj says some people apparently get upset about it - plenty more interesting things to worry about!

bratsandbeer Jul 24th, 2010 06:53 AM

Sounds like a good idea for those that are barefoot. I always wear socks so it doesn't bother me. What comes to mind is what happens to all these paper stick-ons. Will they end up on the floor or will people put them in a wastepaper basket. With thousands going through security the throw-a-ways could end up to be a problem.

suze Jul 24th, 2010 07:10 AM

Nope, not something I would use. Normally I'm in sneakers and sockletts going thru an airport so it's not an issue. If I'm traveling tropical so in flipflops or sandals, I just march on thru security barefoot and try not to think about it! :-)

suze Jul 24th, 2010 07:13 AM

People who don't want to walk barefoot in airports already have this solved by using their own socks. I noticed this just a couple days ago on a flight departing a hot climate, girl in flip flops pulls out those little athletic sockies for her walk thru security.

abram Jul 24th, 2010 12:41 PM

I probably wouldn't use them. I carry a pair of the socks with treads that hospitals give out and put them on over my socks.

spcfa Jul 25th, 2010 04:03 AM

I always have a stash of those disposable socks they give out in bus/1st and use them both for security and in-flight. This is probably not the best place for your market research, as the audience here is mostly hard-core long term travelers who have their routines worked out and who wonder "who buys all that stuff in the Magellan catalog?"

saige Jul 25th, 2010 03:30 PM

Not likely to use those since I take travel socks for just this purpose and have for years.

Iowa_Redhead Jul 25th, 2010 07:10 PM

It seems like just an extra step and dinking around to be honest. Most people I've noticed fly with shoes/boots and socks on anyway because airplanes are often cold and everyone wants to wear their biggest pair of shoes. If you already have socks on there's no point. The few people I've noticed flying with sandals on either carry a pair of socks if they're actually worried about it or simply don't care.

If you were really that worried about a bit of germs in the 8 feet you're without shoes, wouldn't it be easier to just wear throw away socks or to spray on antibacterial gel? For non-airport scenarios, it's just easier to use those blue net booties that go on over shoes. Most companies that involve going into peoples homes or businesses with dirty shoes (home repair/maintenance, etc) carry those booties with them already. They're very cheap and it's very easy to just slip on over shoes.

Also, how would this product work? You stand on one foot to take off your shoe, and while still standing on one foot you peel a backing off of a foot shaped piece of paper and stick it to the bottom of your foot. Repeat for the other side. Get to the other side of security and do the reverse. All I can think of is sticking an oversized panty-liner to the bottom of each foot.

It just seems like a hassle in an area where people are already trying to hurry. I apologize as that sounds mean and I don't intend it to, I simply don't see the use in that sort of product.

LSky Jul 25th, 2010 07:26 PM

The oversized panty-liner is exactly what I thought of too. Except it would have to be something that wouldn't be too slippery.

I wouldn't use it and personally, don't like the idea because it seems wasteful and not very earth friendly. OTOH, some people might like it. I don't want to discourage you but there's my truth.

northie Jul 25th, 2010 11:29 PM

isn't there enough waste in the world without inventing amd or adding to it????

LSky Jul 26th, 2010 07:31 AM

I have to agree with you northie. It sounds like more crap made in China.

november_moon Jul 26th, 2010 03:26 PM

I wouldn't use it either. I don't like the disposable aspect and I don't have any problems walking through security in my socks or even my barefeet.

ShelliDawn Jul 26th, 2010 05:18 PM

I wouldn't use them because:

1. I always wear socks when on a plane (I get cold feet very easily).

2. I'm in agreement with those who consider this one use item (and very short use at that) to be wasteful. I would also consider it a waste of money.

3. I think it would be awkward to put them on in the security line.

MissGreen Jul 27th, 2010 04:00 AM

I wouldn't use them. I figure my feet are in worse places than on a busy floor... I use a hotel shower, which might not of had the floor washed following the depature of its last occupant, I sleep on the same mattress that many others have slept on (super eew when you think of it), I try on clothes in shops that others have tried on (I assume) without them being washed first....

suze Jul 27th, 2010 06:19 AM

Maybe we could use them for the airline bathroom floor, half way into a long haul flight, instead?
:-)

Therese Jul 27th, 2010 08:51 AM

What the OP describes wouldn't be sufficient for the plane's bathroom floor half-way through a long haul flight. Something like galoshes would be more useful in that setting, I think.

Maybe waders.

suze Jul 27th, 2010 09:43 AM

or Crocs!

Therese Jul 27th, 2010 09:50 AM

It would depend on the Crocs style. Nothing with vents or slingback style.