Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

5 week opportunity to travel - any tips where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We have the fabulous opportunity of taking a 5-week family holiday and want to make the most of it with your help please.

Details are:
We are 5 people. Three are kids aged 7, 9 and 11.
Not too hot. Temperatures over 35 Celsius (97 Fahrenheit) AND humid are not welcome.
Varied scenery / things to do required.
Flying to from different cities / countries is ok.

What do all you travelers out there think?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Which months? Which continent? Do you need a visas to visit places you want to go? Your interests? Kids interests?
Please let us know so that we may guide you better.
Where are you flying from?
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you should visit your library and/or bookstore and spend some time reading glossy guidebooks with pictures. E.g. Insight, Fodors' See It, Eyewitness.

When you have decided on a continent you should re-post this question on the board for that continent. You should include your actual budget (NOT "moderate" or "expensive" which have no useful meaning) and your interests.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Where do you live?
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:20 AM

Another know nothing first time poster.

As tst says (paraphrasing) "do some research before you ask questions".
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 01:59 PM

i think you should go in your holiday with your family at Shimla and Manaali, in India. temperature in those places are not too hot.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:53 AM

Why does everyone criticise a first time poster. We were all new once.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 09:30 AM

I don't know why people have to be so rude here (Rastaguy).

But I do think it is OK to ask where they are starting out. If they are live in Europe, Asia, US/Canada, South America, we would probably give different suggestions. And are we talking about a car/road trip or going by plane or train.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Miss Green and suze.

Yes, I was a first time poster once, but only after joining and watching discussions for many months.

I also try to do research before I answer questions that really don't have any substance to them.

It's a big world out there. Asking where in the world can we go, can give no meaningful answers. The OP probably should have narrowed it down to a continent, at least.

Is is thus OK to respond Antartica? It's not too hot there.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:53 AM

If you don't have anything helpful to say, there's no reason to post scolding a newbie. There's no rule you have to "do research" before you make a post. Fodor's could use some new blood around here but with a reception like this I'd be surprised if they bothered to stick around.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:31 PM

suze,

You're correct. I've seen my share of totally ignorant posts.

There's no "rule", but there is a wealth of information in the forums to take some guidance from.

Example: I'm going to Ireland later this summer. I've viewed the posts of many folks, particularly tony2phones, as he seems to be somewhat of an expert, since he is living there.

So, what would you respond to the OP with, or is it more fun to chastise other posters?

You asked "where do you live". Probably should add things like "when do you have the time off, what is your budget, what kinds of things do you like, etc...?"
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:49 PM

I asked where they are located because to me that is the most important question when you start planning a trip.

If they are in Australia, I'm not going to suggest a 5-week road trip around Australia. If they already live in Europe, I'm not going to suggest a scenic trip thru the country side in France.

Time of year, budget, and interests are all important too. Why don't you ask that instead of name-calling ("no nothing first time poster")?
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:56 PM

Rastaguy, you've got a bit of a habit of slamming first time posters. I agree with you that it would be better if they did a little research first, but some don't and that's no reason to be rude to them.

Suze, I'm willing to bet the poster is Australian. Hopefully Alex4 comes back to give some more info.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM

hey cathies, My money's also on the Aussies.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:31 PM

"Is is thus OK to respond Antartica? It's not too hot there"

Yes, perfectly fine to suggest there. My hubby would LOVE to go there!
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 09:24 PM

cathies - only the one that ask idiotic questions.

Should I say "Oh, please kind sir or madam, what part of the world are you thinking about, when you like to go, what is your budget and how hot can you accept"?

Note that the OP has never responded. Did I scare him/her away?

BTW: I also get 3-5 shills removed a month from Fodors.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 09:25 PM

Possibly the poster is out having a life and hasn't got back to the computer, hence the delay.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:58 PM

Yes rastaguy, that is what you should say. I doubt you scared him/her away, but there's still no need to be mean.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of answers to all your questions (and jibes!). I was in dubai and just got back last night. Typing on an iPad takes me at least, ages, so now back on a regular keyboard, here goes.

We live in Germany -- good question.
Time -- during the school holidays August 1, 2013 until the end of the first week of September.

As for research. I have actually done loads of research and have travelled myself a lot. I intentionally kept the question very open as I am open to everything (with the one constraint of temperature).

I have nothing against Antartica for instance (so long as there is enough to do for 5 weeks to keep 3 young kids interested).

If it's easier to comment on my thoughts, I have 4 trips in my mind (though temperature, malaria, etc. will likely be an issue with at least a couple of them). In no particular order:
1. America: Start up in the NE (Vermont / New Hampshire). Travel down the east coast coming in land around Georgia and end up in New Orleans. (avoiding Florida -- scenery does not compensate for the temperature (in my opinion)).
2. SE Asia: (I have done this trip, but my family hasn't). Start in Thailand go north up to Myanmar; south into Cambodia; fly across to Northern Australia then head south down the coast and fly out of Syndney.
3. India: (I have also done part of this trip too) Northern hillstations, jaipur, Nepal perhaps?
4. Pacific island? Tonga islands, Hawaii? I have never been and is it a bit of a case of seen 3 islands, seen them all?

I also love New Zealand (both islands) -- but would rather not pack tonnes of bulky winter clothes.

Following the path of Genghis Khan (sp?) through Mongolia on horse back would be really cool (but the kids are too young).

Budget -- I am open -- such an opportunity does not come along very often, so we would be willing to invest.

Interests -- tough to answer. We all love sport, outdoors, seeing things, but also lying by a pool / beach.

Thanks again for any comments. In the meantime I continue to research.

Best,

Alex (female by the way)
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 03:56 AM

Option no 1 would be lovely. You could start in NYC or Boston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -