Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   4 week travel with teens (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/4-week-travel-with-teens-1497420/)

623kerry Oct 19th, 2017 11:39 AM

4 week travel with teens

I'm thinking of taking the summer holidays off from work to spend some time with my 13 and 15 year old before time passes us by and they don't want to know us anymore! If I'm going to do it, I want to make sure it's going to be adventurous and memorable. Any ideas of inspiration of what we should do?

thursdaysd Oct 19th, 2017 11:59 AM

Welcome to Fodors. Sorry, insufficient information. You don't even say where you live.

RoamsAround Oct 19th, 2017 01:17 PM

Also tell us how long “some time” actually is and what type of budget you have in mind for the trip.

Are you interested in domestic travel or and international destination.

What type of places and activities interest you and your children.

You can find adventurous and memorable activities almost anywhere.

xcountry Oct 19th, 2017 03:46 PM

Go somewhere they are unlikely to travel to on their own for several years - Japan and/or China, Jordan and/or Egypt.

blaire25 Oct 20th, 2017 04:44 AM

Limited information....budget, where are you from, try to include some more info

Sassafrass Oct 22nd, 2017 07:37 PM

Rather than trying to force it all into one long period of Summer, why not plan two or three "Adventures". One during their time off at Christmas, or if that is extended family time, do a trip during Spring Break. Follow that with a couple of Summer trips to more exotic or historic places.

First, what do the kids enjoy? Boys or girls? Where would they like to go? What would they like to do?
Some kids might like to hike, some visit museums in a city. Some might like seeing things connected with favorite books like Harry Potter or even something connected with animals, perhaps working in a place that helps tag wild animals, birds, etc. swimming, diving, sailing?

I strongly suggest you consider a week long cruise to the Caribbean during the kids' Spring break. Research to find one that goes to lots of interesting islands with great swimming and snorkeling, parasailing, surfing, etc. Choose a ship that has water slides, rock climbing walls, nice pools, etc for your teens. Just fun, nothing formal.

annjones84 Nov 2nd, 2017 04:37 PM

When choosing your destination, to fit into the summer maybe pick a large country, or an area where there is easy border crossing. And if it is the first long haul trip you might be better off sticking in places that usually have english options (i.e. UK, europe) and then if you have a bigger budget maybe China, but only the big cities as it could be quite hard with language barriers

thursdaysd Nov 4th, 2017 05:18 AM

Please stop suggesting that China is difficult if you do not speak Mandarin, or any other Chinese language. I will never speak Mandarin as I am tone deaf, but I managed fine, even in the southwest where there are/were precious few tourists. All that is required is a good guidebook with place names in characters, a good guidebook (characters, not just pinyin) and a willingness to try.

In any case, the OP seems to have abandoned the thread.