Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   25 days in EU - 32GB memory card? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/25-days-in-eu-32gb-memory-card-840925/)

lalalacheesejah May 19th, 2010 08:30 AM

25 days in EU - 32GB memory card?

I'm going to Europe for 25 days. I want to be taking lots of pictures (not sure how many because I have never traveled to a place before that I am really interested in). I've heard that 32GB memory cards for cameras hold about 10,000 photos, give or take a few thousand depending on how quality of camera and quality of photos you have your camera set to.

How many pictures did you take on your trip and what size memory card did you have?
I'm sure 32GB will be enough, but I just wanna make sure!
Thanks.

LSky May 19th, 2010 10:14 AM

I take an assortment of 1,2 and 4 gb, just in case something happens to one I'll have others.

I'm sure 32gb will be plenty. Have fun, don't forget to look up and around sometimes :)

evecolorado May 19th, 2010 10:32 AM

Make sure your camera can use 32GB (or whatever size you may buy). Some not-very-old cameras don't support the larger sizes.

daveesl May 19th, 2010 12:27 PM

Actually, as a person that does both videos and photos, I agree with LSky. Instead of one giant card, bring along several 4gb cards. With my 15 megapixel Canon, shooting both RAW and JPEG images concurrently, each shot is 20 megabytes. Take out the RAW and the image is 5 meg. That equates to 800 HUGE jpeg images per 4 gig card. While I don't know what type of camera you are using, as a rule of thumb, the approximate jpeg file size (at its highest setting) is about 35% of the megapixel rate. So, a 7 meg camera (kind of a normal camera) would take 2.5 meg pictures or about 1,600 shots per card.

You can pick up 4 gig SD cards cheap, check out tigerdirect.com or newegg.com. Use Transcend or PNY. Class 4 or 6.

dave

djkbooks May 19th, 2010 10:04 PM

I agree with smaller cards, even though a bit more costly than one huge card. By swapping them out occasionally, you still have photos should your camera be lost/stolen.

How many photos will fit on a card depends on your settings.

hetismij May 20th, 2010 10:09 AM

One card - all eggs in one basket.

The bigger the card the more photos you lose if you lose the card or it gets corrupted. Imagine how you would feel if on the last day of your holiday the camera is stolen or you leave it in a café (not inconceivable given your stated intent to imbibe a lot whilst in Europe ;) ) and you have all your photos on that one card - in that lost camera.

Take several 4Gb cards. Put the write protect on them when you remove them from the camera.

If you have a compact camera then you do not need to spend a lot on them - you don't need class 6 or above, unless you plan on using video too, or have a DSLR. look online for bargains, but make sure they are not counterfeits.

hetismij May 20th, 2010 10:18 AM

I meant to add I did 30 days in the Pacific Northwest last year with my 14Mp DSLR shooting RAW and used 3 4GB cards and on 8 Gb card (which I bought at a Walmart whilst there - they didn't have any class 6 4Gb cards available or I'd have bought two of those). Over 3000 photos.
I did have an image tank with me which I used as back-up but I didn't need to recycle any cards.

spcfa May 21st, 2010 07:31 AM

Good suggestions about the smaller cards. I'm responding to the total gigs for the time frame, which parallels what we shot on safari. There is no way you will take more pictures on the Continent than we did with motordrives in the bush, so your total of 32GB should be ample.

lalalacheesejah May 21st, 2010 07:35 AM

Yeah, thanks, I'm probably gonna go with several cards after your suggestions. That would suck to lose the 1 card with all of my pictures/videos on it!

MissGreen May 23rd, 2010 01:23 AM

I have to upgrade my small trusty cam because it only takes 1 or 2 GB. I plan to take heaps of pics too so was good to hear everyone talk about what size memory card they taking... I think I will take an assortment, with one being big.