Resizing photos

Jan 31st, 2018, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Resizing photos

I've seen a number of comments/complaints that when members post photos inline, they're sometimes too big to see without scrolling. Many people don't have access to image processing software that will allow them to "shrink" their pictures easily to sizes friendly to laptop or desktop monitors (most phones handle this automatically.)

I know that there are tools available on the VB platform (maybe generic, maybe custom) that "shrink" photos. Here's a post on another message board that uses VB or a version of it, City-Data, that illustrates this facility. City-Data Forum - View Single Post - Landscapes . Would something like this be available on Fodor's?
Jan 31st, 2018, 11:20 AM
Administrator

The problem is, it's not responsive resizing. So a photo sized that big would appear HUGE on a phone.

Photo sizes are always a problem, and usually a subjective matter. We'll do our best to keep improving the photo upload and display process, but as of now, Fodors has the best setup of any of our forums.
Feb 2nd, 2018, 04:10 PM

Well I'm not on any of your other forums to know about that... but here on the new Fodor's the photos come across as HUGE - they take up the entire screen. Basically gigantic.
Feb 2nd, 2018, 04:32 PM

Anyone with a Mac can resize a photo in Preview, but should do it on a copy since they would not necessarily want to keep the photo in smaller size.
Feb 2nd, 2018, 08:13 PM

Could the programmers insert a brief advice as to optimum size of a photo when someone wants to attach one?
Feb 5th, 2018, 10:21 AM

I have a Mac and re-sized a photo and it was still large. The quick reply format looks very much like gmail blog formats--and when one inserts a photo in a blog, there is a sizing option.
Feb 5th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Administrator

If someone could post a *full* screen shot of a thread with a photo they think is "too big" along with what device and screen resolution they're using, it might help.

You see, resolution and screen size and "too big" are all relative to the individual. We make something smaller for everyone, and suddenly there are complaints about how tiny the photos are, and how do I make mine bigger?
Feb 5th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ibobi View Post
If someone could post a *full* screen shot of a thread with a photo they think is "too big" along with what device and screen resolution they're using, it might help.

You see, resolution and screen size and "too big" are all relative to the individual. We make something smaller for everyone, and suddenly there are complaints about how tiny the photos are, and how do I make mine bigger?
Let's just try it right here. Here's an image that measures 2000 x 1201 pixels. On my monitor, which is rated for 1980 x 1080, it requires slight scrolling to see the entire image. However here on Fodor's, it's been shrunk to fit in your message area, so obviously some "shrinking" is being done automatically on your end. (The image info on my monitor says you've resized it to 1507 px wide.)

Here's the same image but "shrunk" to 1000 x 639:

This one fits fine in my monitor, but it won't on smaller screens. On my Android phone, however, they both appear the same; the phone software has shrunk the image proportionately in order to fit the screen.

As I said above, the image software on City-Data does the same thing my phone does; if images are bigger than their default maximum size (900 px width) the images are simply shrunk to 900 (and the height proportionately) and a toggle banner appears over the image allowing the user to click to enlarge it. Here's a sample page where you can see this - Boats, Ships, Watercraft etc (photos, JPG, flickr) - Photography -Digital cameras, SLR, lenses, printing, processing, colors, black-and-white, wedding... - Page 32 - City-Data Forum . (Note you'll need a PC monitor to see this, not a phone.)

People's screens vary, so setting an arbitrary size is going to make images too big for some, and potentially too small for others. But a fix does exist, as demonstrated above.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Feb 5th, 2018 at 03:43 PM.
Feb 5th, 2018, 09:06 PM

The first of those pictures fits my desktop screen horizontally, but not vertically. But I really do not like having pictures that fill the whole screen. I come to Fodors for text, not photos, and they interrupt the text.
Feb 6th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
The first of those pictures fits my desktop screen horizontally, but not vertically. But I really do not like having pictures that fill the whole screen. I come to Fodors for text, not photos, and they interrupt the text.
Then just go to My Settings > Edit Options > Visible Post Elements, and uncheck the "Show Images" box. Badda bing.
Feb 6th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Let's just try it right here. Here's an image that measures 2000 x 1201 pixels. On my monitor, which is rated for 1980 x 1080, it requires slight scrolling to see the entire image. However here on Fodor's, it's been shrunk to fit in your message area, so obviously some "shrinking" is being done automatically on your end. (The image info on my monitor says you've resized it to 1507 px wide.)

Here's the same image but "shrunk" to 1000 x 639:

This one fits fine in my monitor, but it won't on smaller screens. On my Android phone, however, they both appear the same; the phone software has shrunk the image proportionately in order to fit the screen.

As I said above, the image software on City-Data does the same thing my phone does; if images are bigger than their default maximum size (900 px width) the images are simply shrunk to 900 (and the height proportionately) and a toggle banner appears over the image allowing the user to click to enlarge it. Here's a sample page where you can see this - Boats, Ships, Watercraft etc (photos, JPG, flickr) - Photography -Digital cameras, SLR, lenses, printing, processing, colors, black-and-white, wedding... - Page 32 - City-Data Forum . (Note you'll need a PC monitor to see this, not a phone.)

People's screens vary, so setting an arbitrary size is going to make images too big for some, and potentially too small for others. But a fix does exist, as demonstrated above.
We can shrink images to a "default" size too -- but again, it's just picking one size over another, completely subjective. There is no "fit to whatever screen you happen to be viewing on at the moment" technology for this.
Feb 6th, 2018, 12:58 PM

Then just go to My Settings > Edit Options > Visible Post Elements, and uncheck the "Show Images" box. Badda bing.
Yes I know about that. What would be preferable is smaller photos. But if people start quoting posts with photos in their entirety then I'm definitely going to no photos.
Feb 6th, 2018, 02:13 PM

Can there be a "Quote without photos" button?
Feb 13th, 2018, 10:56 AM

See this thread for an example of oversized photo:

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...s-new-1648431/

Even worse on my desktop than iPad.
Feb 13th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
See this thread for an example of oversized photo:

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...s-new-1648431/

Even worse on my desktop than iPad.
I'm running a standard resolution of 1920x1080 and it doesn't even fill the entire post column.

Feb 13th, 2018, 12:57 PM

Might be too complicated but what if Fodors shrunk everything down to a small thumbnail size?
Then made the thumbnail a link to the full size photo. If someone wants to see it they click or tap the thumbnail.

For example, this page looks decent enough on both my desktop and my iPhone 7:
https://500px.com/popular/landscapes
Feb 13th, 2018, 01:06 PM

If the photo is inserted as an attachment, versus as a "Image Insert" you get a thumbnail:

Resizing photos-babies.jpg
Feb 13th, 2018, 01:25 PM

You learn something everyday!

I was going to try it and used the "Inline Attachment" tool, but the Preview is showing me a full sized image, so I backed out.
Will that change if I hit Submit?
Feb 13th, 2018, 01:29 PM

I used the attachment tool:

Feb 13th, 2018, 01:37 PM

My screen looks different (windows/Firefox) but I was using the attachment tool, which I'll do now.

Search this Thread