Profile page

Mar 6th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Profile page

Hi, I see we now have the new profile page. I have two comments on features that didn't survive the transition:
  1. You can't select for trip reports. You can get to mine without having to hit More too many times as they aren't buried beneath a mass of other threads, but for people who have started lots of threads, it will be very challenging to locate their trip reports. Could you please have a way to select just trip reports? (Actually, in general it would be wonderful to have a feature that lists trip reports in a given forum.)
  2. You can't tell what threads have had activity since you last visited them. At least, it doesn't appear that way. Or am I missing something?
Thanks for listening.
Mar 6th, 2018, 05:05 PM
Administrator

You can get your trip reports by clicking search, my threads, and clicking Display Trip Reports. This also works for any Fodors member if you plug their username into Advanced Search.

To get Trip Reports for whatever forum you're in, just click "Display Trip Reports."
Mar 6th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

OK, but that brings up anybody's trip report on which I posted. If I post a lot on others' trip reports, then I'm going to have quite a wade to get back to a trip report I myself wrote. Is there any way to just pull trip report threads I started?
Mar 7th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by artsnletters View Post
OK, but that brings up anybody's trip report on which I posted. If I post a lot on others' trip reports, then I'm going to have quite a wade to get back to a trip report I myself wrote. Is there any way to just pull trip report threads I started?
Search, Advanced Search, your username, find threads started by user, click "Find Threads with Prefix -Trip Report" and SEARCH.
Mar 7th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

It seems that I am too big a dope to figure out a lot of how to use these forums since the transition. I have been on Fodors for 15 years and on various other forum sites as well, including through transitions, and I've never had this much difficulty figuring out how to do things. My other experiences have always been very simple. Just saying.
Mar 8th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Hi, I see we now have the new profile page. I have two comments on features that didn't survive the transition:
  1. You can't select for trip reports. You can get to mine without having to hit More too many times as they aren't buried beneath a mass of other threads, but for people who have started lots of threads, it will be very challenging to locate their trip reports. Could you please have a way to select just trip reports? (Actually, in general it would be wonderful to have a feature that lists trip reports in a given forum.)
  2. You can't tell what threads have had activity since you last visited them. At least, it doesn't appear that way. Or am I missing something?
Thanks for listening.
Absolutely. Trip reports are now lost without a relatively complicated search system.
Mar 8th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Administrator

It seems that I am too big a dope to figure out a lot of how to use these forums since the transition. I have been on Fodors for 15 years and on various other forum sites as well, including through transitions, and I've never had this much difficulty figuring out how to do things. My other experiences have always been very simple. Just saying.
What is it that you're having trouble doing? We can help
Mar 9th, 2018, 09:39 AM

Another problem with the profile page: It does not refresh, bringing up the last answered posts to the top.
Mar 9th, 2018, 09:48 AM

Six steps to find a list of your own trip reports is excessive and not intuitive, IBobi. I counted them from your post. (Quote isn't working right now).

I say again, if the old profile page is not consistent with the present software, code a simulacrum of the old profile page into the new software.

(Hey! I got to use "simulacrum" in a post!)
Mar 9th, 2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody View Post
Six steps to find a list of your own trip reports is excessive and not intuitive, IBobi. I counted them from your post. (Quote isn't working right now).

I say again, if the old profile page is not consistent with the present software, code a simulacrum of the old profile page into the new software.

(Hey! I got to use "simulacrum" in a post!)
Or to state it differently: I should be able to refer to one of my travel reports by suggesting that the reader click on my name to find the report; that is not possible now.
Mar 9th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Or to state it differently: I should be able to refer to one of my travel reports by suggesting that the reader click on my name to find the report; that is not possible now.
'tis now . . give it a try!
Mar 9th, 2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by moderator8 View Post
Yippee! It works!
Mar 9th, 2018, 08:29 PM

Guide me through the process, because if I click on my name I find nothing that relates to my trip reports.
Mar 9th, 2018, 09:06 PM

Left click name. Drop down has "find trip reports" last choice. Click it.
Mar 9th, 2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Guide me through the process, because if I click on my name I find nothing that relates to my trip reports.
That's odd because when I click on your name I find three pages of your TRs going back to 2005 . . .
Mar 10th, 2018, 08:41 AM

Thanks for adding Trip Reports to the user name drop down. It would be nice if they also showed up on the actual profile page.

Another nit: on the profile page there is a "Threads I Posted On" section. In the list of threads is the "View Post" link.
On the old system that link would take you to your last post in that thread. Now it just takes you to the top of the thread.
Mar 10th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!!!!!!
Mar 10th, 2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody View Post
Left click name. Drop down has "find trip reports" last choice. Click it.
Are you using a mouse on a PC or on a Mac? I do not have a left-click button.

Found it. It depends on which name you click. Thanks.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 10th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.
Mar 10th, 2018, 04:11 PM

I don't use a mouse (and couldn't left click if I did )

Michael -- click on your name on your above post. At the bottom of the pull down you will see 'Find Trip Reports'. Click that and . . . voila! All your TRs
Mar 10th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

As long as I'm asking, it would be great if I could get to my trip reports with one click from my profile page. Right now, I have to go to a thread I posted on so I can click on my name and get the option. It would be handy for others looking on someone else's profile as well. Right now, there's Threads I Started, Threads I Posted On, and it would be just wonderful to have another category for Trip Reports.

Search this Thread