Profile page

Reply

Mar 6th, 2018, 04:49 PM
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,415
Profile page

Hi, I see we now have the new profile page. I have two comments on features that didn't survive the transition:
  1. You can't select for trip reports. You can get to mine without having to hit More too many times as they aren't buried beneath a mass of other threads, but for people who have started lots of threads, it will be very challenging to locate their trip reports. Could you please have a way to select just trip reports? (Actually, in general it would be wonderful to have a feature that lists trip reports in a given forum.)
  2. You can't tell what threads have had activity since you last visited them. At least, it doesn't appear that way. Or am I missing something?
Thanks for listening.
artsnletters is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 6th, 2018, 05:05 PM
  #2
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 986
You can get your trip reports by clicking search, my threads, and clicking Display Trip Reports. This also works for any Fodors member if you plug their username into Advanced Search.

To get Trip Reports for whatever forum you're in, just click "Display Trip Reports."
ibobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 6th, 2018, 07:47 PM
  #3
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,415
OK, but that brings up anybody's trip report on which I posted. If I post a lot on others' trip reports, then I'm going to have quite a wade to get back to a trip report I myself wrote. Is there any way to just pull trip report threads I started?
artsnletters is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 7th, 2018, 11:52 AM
  #4
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 986
Originally Posted by artsnletters View Post
OK, but that brings up anybody's trip report on which I posted. If I post a lot on others' trip reports, then I'm going to have quite a wade to get back to a trip report I myself wrote. Is there any way to just pull trip report threads I started?
Search, Advanced Search, your username, find threads started by user, click "Find Threads with Prefix -Trip Report" and SEARCH.
ibobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 7th, 2018, 07:38 PM
  #5
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,415
It seems that I am too big a dope to figure out a lot of how to use these forums since the transition. I have been on Fodors for 15 years and on various other forum sites as well, including through transitions, and I've never had this much difficulty figuring out how to do things. My other experiences have always been very simple. Just saying.
artsnletters is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 8th, 2018, 10:52 AM
  #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 20,276
Originally Posted by artsnletters View Post
Hi, I see we now have the new profile page. I have two comments on features that didn't survive the transition:
  1. You can't select for trip reports. You can get to mine without having to hit More too many times as they aren't buried beneath a mass of other threads, but for people who have started lots of threads, it will be very challenging to locate their trip reports. Could you please have a way to select just trip reports? (Actually, in general it would be wonderful to have a feature that lists trip reports in a given forum.)
  2. You can't tell what threads have had activity since you last visited them. At least, it doesn't appear that way. Or am I missing something?
Thanks for listening.
Absolutely. Trip reports are now lost without a relatively complicated search system.
Michael is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 8th, 2018, 11:08 AM
  #7
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 986
Originally Posted by artsnletters View Post
It seems that I am too big a dope to figure out a lot of how to use these forums since the transition. I have been on Fodors for 15 years and on various other forum sites as well, including through transitions, and I've never had this much difficulty figuring out how to do things. My other experiences have always been very simple. Just saying.
What is it that you're having trouble doing? We can help
ibobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2018, 09:39 AM
  #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 20,276
Another problem with the profile page: It does not refresh, bringing up the last answered posts to the top.
Michael is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2018, 09:48 AM
  #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,375
Six steps to find a list of your own trip reports is excessive and not intuitive, IBobi. I counted them from your post. (Quote isn't working right now).

I say again, if the old profile page is not consistent with the present software, code a simulacrum of the old profile page into the new software.

(Hey! I got to use "simulacrum" in a post!)
AJPeabody is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2018, 10:45 AM
  #10
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 20,276
Originally Posted by AJPeabody View Post
Six steps to find a list of your own trip reports is excessive and not intuitive, IBobi. I counted them from your post. (Quote isn't working right now).

I say again, if the old profile page is not consistent with the present software, code a simulacrum of the old profile page into the new software.

(Hey! I got to use "simulacrum" in a post!)
Or to state it differently: I should be able to refer to one of my travel reports by suggesting that the reader click on my name to find the report; that is not possible now.
Michael is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2018, 05:32 PM
  #11
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,331
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Or to state it differently: I should be able to refer to one of my travel reports by suggesting that the reader click on my name to find the report; that is not possible now.
'tis now . . give it a try!
moderator8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2018, 05:57 PM
  #12
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,375
Originally Posted by moderator8 View Post
'tis now . . give it a try!
Yippee! It works!
AJPeabody is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2018, 08:29 PM
  #13
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 20,276
Originally Posted by moderator8 View Post
'tis now . . give it a try!
Guide me through the process, because if I click on my name I find nothing that relates to my trip reports.
Michael is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2018, 09:06 PM
  #14
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,375
Left click name. Drop down has "find trip reports" last choice. Click it.
AJPeabody is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 9th, 2018, 09:56 PM
  #15
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 62,740
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Guide me through the process, because if I click on my name I find nothing that relates to my trip reports.
That's odd because when I click on your name I find three pages of your TRs going back to 2005 . . .
janisj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 10th, 2018, 08:41 AM
  #16
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,445
Thanks for adding Trip Reports to the user name drop down. It would be nice if they also showed up on the actual profile page.

Another nit: on the profile page there is a "Threads I Posted On" section. In the list of threads is the "View Post" link.
On the old system that link would take you to your last post in that thread. Now it just takes you to the top of the thread.
Nelson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 10th, 2018, 12:14 PM
  #17
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,415
Originally Posted by moderator8 View Post
'tis now . . give it a try!
Thank you!!!!!!
artsnletters is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 10th, 2018, 03:52 PM
  #18
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 20,276
Originally Posted by AJPeabody View Post
Left click name. Drop down has "find trip reports" last choice. Click it.
Are you using a mouse on a PC or on a Mac? I do not have a left-click button.

Found it. It depends on which name you click. Thanks.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 10th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.
Michael is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 10th, 2018, 04:11 PM
  #19
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 62,740
I don't use a mouse (and couldn't left click if I did )

Michael -- click on your name on your above post. At the bottom of the pull down you will see 'Find Trip Reports'. Click that and . . . voila! All your TRs
janisj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Mar 10th, 2018, 08:16 PM
  #20
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,415
As long as I'm asking, it would be great if I could get to my trip reports with one click from my profile page. Right now, I have to go to a thread I posted on so I can click on my name and get the option. It would be handy for others looking on someone else's profile as well. Right now, there's Threads I Started, Threads I Posted On, and it would be just wonderful to have another category for Trip Reports.
artsnletters is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:49 PM.